Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-28-2005, 05:07 PM   #1
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

Experiencing JD syndrome and my experiences on the moot

Experiencing JD syndrome and my experiences on the moot
(this being my 500th post even if it still says 499?)

In times of adversity, in times of emotion and stress i wearily and somewhat accidently stumbled across the Entmoot. Having but today overcome the terrible and deadly on-line virus that could well be the scourge of the 21st century, and wishing JD well with this crippling syndrome (Jd-itis) I am now free for another 500 posts before I get another (much lesser) case of this disease than the great man himself even now is heroically fighting.

This then is my story: it is my small victory against JD syndrome: may it be a hope to those in dark places … or new Joisey … or wherever in the world they are sadly afflicted … Our communal Moot thoughts go out to you.

This 500th post is therefore dedicated to jersey devil, who on the moot has been on occasions a friend in need and an unofficial mentor (who, having sometimes to put up with some incredible rambling rubbish from me always found the time to get back with some good advice) and it is also a personal piece on my moot experience from unsuspecting entling through to Elf Lord.

My experiences…

While still having to deal with heartfelt loss and bereavement, one pale slightly washed out day I stumbled across the Entmoot. I had never posted on a board before, had in my earlier days read Tolkien quite extensively (though i was soon to find not half as extensively as some on here!) and like Bilbo without a hanky or knowing where the road ( that goes ever on … ) would lead me, I ran down the metaphorical lane into the world-wide community that all you here now reading this, make the place it is. Entmoot.

I have found it a great diversion, a good place to chat, laugh, rant … get angry…. Be surprised why I was getting angry…. Begin to learn how it works, how things can be read in many different ways depending on perspectives, moods, beliefs, assumptions and how they can be read a completely different way with some further information or explanation! To enjoy the banter, the discussions on topics Tolkien based through to subjects from religion, lifestyles and morality! As an ex philosopher (apples stopped falling on my head – don’t ask!) these I have enjoyed a lot.

Looking through some of my posts just now I think perhaps I have tended to more light-hearted (shall we say) posts or frankly silly posts than is perhaps representative of me: but really I can say what I have enjoyed about being on the moot is the chance just to play (for lack of a better word) which when you are stressed, busy, have a ton of serious and emotionally delicate things to deal with all the time, is a truly worthwhile thing!

I have had some fiery rides too: as a person who is reasonably grounded and very hard to get angry I have been surprised just how angry and even upset I have got on here a couple of times: in hindsight i think what with personal experiences the anger was just there and needed a release …. This too in its way has probably been a healthy thing. So, apologies to anyone I have upset in my time here.

So far I can honestly say theres no one here I dislike or have any problems with: and indeed I’d like to share some of my enjoyable moments on here - with an apology now to anyone I forget to mention! I’d like this thread to be about the moot: what you have enjoyed, what has made you laugh, the best posts, worst posts (if you like – but please try to be positive about it!), who you have had good laughs or arguments with or ‘debates’ enjoyed observing and why etc ….

Where to start … well anywhere seems like a good place to me so here goes …

Firstly a mention to me9996, called by me ‘the immortal one’ .. he /she? was the first person on here to reply to me! Me9996 is also the word’s worst spella I av’ evr come akross! And author of some of the wierdest most free-form rpg scenarios I have seen here: now I am cured I look forward to jumping in to one sometime!

Rosie and TD really made me laugh (among others) in the lyrd of the rings rpg … I initially spent ages reading drunk elf pirates discussion thread hoping to join it only to realize I had started reading it exactly to the day (I think) one YEAR behind … and so gave up on any attempt to join.

A quick mention should be made here of earthbound, without whose 18 or so posts today (!) I would not be able to have overcome my disease (we were both on 499 posts and had agreed mainly out of respect to Jd and to try and establish a cult x99 post tradition here on the moot had a competition to see how long we could hold out posting … EB lost! However I may say: what happened to making the 500th one a bit special????
EB has made me laugh many times too.

So heres my far from exhaustive or even that well thought out: Moot Oscars

Top 3 Great debates& diametrically opposed mooter fests (off the top of my head):

Debates:
The eye of sauron
Nazgul horses
Did the ring betray ilsudir
IF….

Opposing viewpoints

JD v Rian
Forkbeard v Gordis
Olmer v the Elves (and most of entmoot): my respect by the way.

Other mentions …
The archive thing where jd forms an army (spectacular) .. and is jd French? (for humour)

Of special mention:

Valandil’s letters of firiel … I have started on them finally and am more than impressed so far.

Most over the top Rant : Myself in charles and Camilla (sorry Spock!)

Friendliest and probably the nicest person on the moot: Nurvingiel

Who’s made me laugh or have I enjoyed some fast posting with (apologies as I am bound to miss some people out!) : Gordis, LCOU (also an award for weirdest drink on the teacup café) , Rosie, Telcontar Dunedain, EB, Sun-star, CS, Spock, Lotesse, Pytt, …. And many more .. i’ll edit some in later …

Well it seems the strain of my recouperation from my recent JD disease is still with me .. as I am now tired beyond thought .. so I shall leave it there for now for my 500th post!

Please add your thoughts to this thread: what or who or why the moot means to you or your own awards for anything under the sun on here …. Remember only this: this is NOT a ranting thread ….

Oh and a special mention to Tessar who has always been fair and reasonable beyond the call of duty with me and also managed to keep fletch alive in the gates of mirkwood rpg while I was laid low! Hi also to Earniel who shared a cup of mead with a newcomer!

All the best and thanks for all the fun and much needed diversion you have given me here on entmoot!

My best to all the mooters

BB

Last edited by Butterbeer : 06-28-2005 at 06:11 PM.
Butterbeer is offline   Reply With Quote