Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-08-2006, 10:49 AM   #1
Tig
Hobbit

Fellowship Pg.262-265

There is a song reaching from page 262 to 265 in "The Fellowship of the Ring," and I don't quite understand it. Can anyone explain the song to me? I know it sounds lame, but I have a hard time moving forward in a book knowing I skipped over something because I didn't get it. I just want to know what the song is telling the reader, I mean, there is a story to it, right? Any and all help is appreciated! Also, why isn't there a thread for just the songs? At least, none that I saw... but the songs are all really great!
But there still be many miles to go!
Sweet is the sound of the pouring rain,
and the stream that falls from hill to plain.
Better than rain or rippling brook...
Is a mug of beer inside this Took!"
Tig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 12:05 PM   #2
jammi567
I'm Eru, and lord of Arda.

Could you state the title of the chapter. That would help us find it easier, as different editions have different page numbers.
Vote for me, Jammi567, in the 2008 Entmoot elections, and you will get many of the things we need: free, unbiased, newspapers; a strong alliance with many countries, so that war doesn't start over someone breaking their nose on a doorframe; etc, etc

This forum is lonely. It's new and confused, and doesn't have many friends yet. Help today by joining for free, posting, and posting this message and link in your sig. So please, join and help make it feel welcomed and loved.
jammi567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 12:34 PM   #3
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

It's probably the one in chapter "Many Meetings" as it's the only one that runs three pages.....in my paperback edition.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:51 PM   #4
jammi567

If it is that one, then it's describing the events at the end of the First Age, and the Silmarillion. It's basically saying that Earendil was a good marinar, built himself a ship, and went of to Valinor (the place where the Valar, the Gods of ME, live). But he gets lost, then his wife, Elwing, as a dove, comes to him, carring a Silmaril (one of three jewels everybody was fighting over). He manages to get there with help from the Silmaril light, he meets some of the elves who remained there, they dress him up in elvish clothes, and such like. He explains the situation of Elves and Men. The Valar build him a nice ship, give him the Silmaril, and then tell him that after the Great Battle, he has to sail in the sky for eturnity, because he's a savior.

Hope that clears it up for you. If you want more infomation, read the Silmarillion. From the beginning.
Vote for me, Jammi567, in the 2008 Entmoot elections, and you will get many of the things we need: free, unbiased, newspapers; a strong alliance with many countries, so that war doesn't start over someone breaking their nose on a doorframe; etc, etc

This forum is lonely. It's new and confused, and doesn't have many friends yet. Help today by joining for free, posting, and posting this message and link in your sig. So please, join and help make it feel welcomed and loved.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:55 PM   #5
Leviathan
Sapling

It is about Earendil and Elwing, his journey to Valinor and such. You can read the story in the Silmarillion chapter 24 The Voyage of Earendil
Leviathan rising like a tower from the depths of Ekkaia, the far off outer sea, where the boats of men and elves will not venture. Of all the beast of Ea Leviathan is mightiest by far. As old as the sea itself, a servant of Ulmo, loyal to Osse.
Beware the swell of the sea, beware the Leviathan
Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 01:07 PM   #6
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Gandalf

Yeah, but the synopsis is better. You can't tell someone 'read the Sil'. Heck that might drive them right off It almost did me and I'm a HUGE Tolkein fan.
Old 09-08-2006, 01:23 PM   #7
Leviathan
Sapling

I know, I don't get it. The Silmarillion is my favorite book period. Everybody thinks it's so intimidating, must be all the names. After I read it I went back and read the Hobbit and LotR over again and it all made so much more since.
Leviathan rising like a tower from the depths of Ekkaia, the far off outer sea, where the boats of men and elves will not venture. Of all the beast of Ea Leviathan is mightiest by far. As old as the sea itself, a servant of Ulmo, loyal to Osse.
Beware the swell of the sea, beware the Leviathan
Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 01:36 PM   #8
jammi567

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock
Yeah, but the synopsis is better. You can't tell someone 'read the Sil'. Heck that might drive them right off It almost did me and I'm a HUGE Tolkein fan.
Yeah, i only mentioned it because the detailwould make sense.

Old 09-08-2006, 06:26 PM   #9
Tig
Hobbit

That was the song! Thank you for the help, everyone. I understood some of it, but now it makes sense. I started reading the Sil' but I decided I wanted to read the Hobbit and the Trilogy first, so I'll read it after... but it's not too intimidating or anything, I find it interesting. It's the story behind the story!
But there still be many miles to go!
Sweet is the sound of the pouring rain,
and the stream that falls from hill to plain.
Better than rain or rippling brook...
Is a mug of beer inside this Took!"
Tig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 06:30 PM   #10
jammi567

Yeah. And people seem to find it hard because of the many manes, but the hobbit + lotr have much more then the sil.