Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-26-2003, 05:42 PM   #1
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

In which way has Tolkien changed your life?

I know that Tolkien's books have had a great impact on people's lives. Tell us how Tolkien has changed your life!
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 05:50 PM   #2
Shadowfax
The Fleet-Footed

All I think about is LotR and Middle Earth. No seriously, it's wierd. Anything that someone says I relate it to Middle Earth or something like that. Gee, that didn't make sense. Oh well. So yeah, basically, I always think about Tolkien's world that he created and stuff. Yeah.

"To remain ignorant of things that happened before you were born is to remain a child" (Cicero, 106-43 B.C.)

"Art is a lie which makes us realize the truth" (Picasso)
Shadowfax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 06:28 PM   #3
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

See above post. Also, Tolkien's works have inspired me to try my hand at writing fantasy, hopefully along somewhat similar lines to his own.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 10:21 PM   #4
eowyngirl14
i don't know what i am talking about either, so don't ask

Quote:
Originally posted by Shadowfax
All I think about is LotR and Middle Earth. No seriously, it's wierd. Anything that someone says I relate it to Middle Earth or something like that. Gee, that didn't make sense. Oh well. So yeah, basically, I always think about Tolkien's world that he created and stuff. Yeah.
I always find my self thinking about middle earth too! Whenever I do something wrong, I think, Gandalf would not have aproved and feel even more guilty then I would have in the first place!

'Then I will die as one of them' -Aragorn TTT movie

“They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety”
- Benjamin Franklin

arms are made for hugging

avatar from the avatar shop! made by Eowyn, Lady of Rohan
eowyngirl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 01:31 AM   #5
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

Gandalf and Co. have given me some much needed insight into ways I should try to aspire to be, though I sometimes fail at them badly. Many of the words and actions of his characters have also given me hope in the everyday things as well as the extraordinary things in life. He also has given me a safe-haven in my mind, where I'm able to keep my mental-self steady during a good deal of things I go through. I'm still weak physically in controlling things, but I've grown remarkably strong mentally because of the profound lessons his works have taught me. Perhaps the rest will come later in time.
Rána Eressëa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 04:21 PM   #6
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

Quote:
Originally posted by Gwaimir Windgem
See above post. Also, Tolkien's works have inspired me to try my hand at writing fantasy, hopefully along somewhat similar lines to his own.
All I ever think about is Tolkien's works too! I seriously think that this is Middle Earth and I am a character in the book. I have tried to write a few of my "Middle Earth offshoots" down but I don't think that anything could be better than what he wrote! I am crazy!
Arien the Maia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 09:08 PM   #7
Evenstar1400
Elven Warrior

B4 Tolkien: always running out of books to read
AFTER tolkien: read LOTR over and over and over......

B4 Tolkien: spent weekends hanging around house
AFTER Tolkien: watch LOTR over and over and over......

B4 Tolkien: walls of room covered in puppy posters
AFTER Tolkien: walls of room covered in LOTR quotes

B4 Tolkien: spoke english, little spanish
AFTER Tolkien: speak english, little spanish, attempting elvish

B4 Tolkien: went online to sit there and wait for a friend to sign on
AFTER Tolkien: surfed web for pics, went to entmoot

B4 Tolkien: nothing relates to topic of conversation
AFTER Tolkien: everything relates to LOTR

I could go on and on and on.................
Old 01-27-2003, 09:17 PM   #8
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

It has been a huge impact on my life

Specifically:

Always make time for a second breakfast.

Never talk to strange cloaked men with a lisp.

Always plan your route carefully.

Transvestite blonde women deserve a lot of respect.

Be very wary of talking to strange men in the pub.

Never trust a food that can keep you marching for a full day on a mere nibble, when the providers of said food are all so skinny.

Never flash expensive jewelry in public.

And a Dwarf is for life, not just for Christmas

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 09:26 PM   #9
LuthienTinuviel
protector of orphaned rabbits

Quote:
Never trust a food that can keep you marching for a full day on a mere nibble, when the providers of said food are all so skinny.
haha!

well, instead of daeling with my life, i go and watch LOTR or go and read.

before: depression
after: elfly

before: fat and lazy
after: archery and running lost 15 lbs

before: ran out of books within a day of getting them.
after: re-read LotR, the sil, unfinished tales, lost tales one and two,& letters (hopefully i'll get to this one)

before: dealt with death like a human
after: took it like an elf.

haha
im going to borrow sween's title:
im quite stupid.
Old 01-27-2003, 09:37 PM   #10
samwiselvr2008
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Evenstar1400
B4 Tolkien: always running out of books to read
AFTER tolkien: read LOTR over and over and over......

B4 Tolkien: spent weekends hanging around house
AFTER Tolkien: watch LOTR over and over and over......

B4 Tolkien: walls of room covered in puppy posters
AFTER Tolkien: walls of room covered in LOTR quotes

B4 Tolkien: spoke english, little spanish
AFTER Tolkien: speak english, little spanish, attempting elvish

B4 Tolkien: went online to sit there and wait for a friend to sign on
AFTER Tolkien: surfed web for pics, went to entmoot

B4 Tolkien: nothing relates to topic of conversation
AFTER Tolkien: everything relates to LOTR

I could go on and on and on.................
You remind me of the intergiser bunny

I have more to do, even if it is just sitting there and dreaming about elves, hobbits and other fantacy creaters- WOW! ENTS LIVE IN MY YARD!!!!!!!

Tolkien also incouraged me to read fantacy, and I found a whole new world that I wasn't intrested in before, in LOTR and other books not about LOTR- total fantacy pages read since last January 2002: 1000000000000 total nonfantacy pages read since last January 2002: 300

In gym, when they make us run laps, I relate them to LOTR, and fill better!-"I'm being chased by orks! Must run! Must run!"

My dreams are so much funner then before.
Nightmares before Tolkien: "My teacher is trying to run over me!!"
Nightmares after Tolkien: "I'm being chased by orks!!! Run!!!"

I have tried writing Fantacy since I have read LOTR and TH, and have a half good story that is already 7 pages long, and I'm not finished. Not the best, but pritty good for me atempting to write my first fantacy novel though- "In fields of grass lived many mysterios animals, but in the greenest fields, lived unicorns..."

Now I have insperation, I'm curently reading Oliver Twist, and I really hate it, I just wish that Oliver would get his wish and die, so to make myself finish the book (it's required for school) I say "If Oliver dies, then I'll be happy and throw a Two Towers party, and go wach TTT, but if he dosn't die, then I'll be disapounted, because I hate Oliver, and I'll throw a Two Towers party and wach TTT to chair myself up- "GOTTA READ, GOTTA FINISH IT SO THAT I CAN WACH TTT AGAIN!!!!!!"

Before I read Tolkien material, I almost never got online. Now I do.-Samwiselvr's computer scadual:
1. Check mail and reply to it
2. Get on Entmoot
3. Go to theonering.net
4. Go back to entmoot
5. Serch for new ROTK pict.
6. Get back on Entmoot
7. Go to lordoftherings.net, and ceep on going back and forth to it untill you here Sean Austin's vouse
8. Go to Entmoot
9. Go back to lordoftherings.net and see if there are any new Lord of the Rings trailers

My room's walls before Tolkien were bair, and now they are filled with pictures of LOTR and New Zealand!- "Mom, I need to go to Wall-Mart because I ran out of tape and I need to hang up a picture of Sam!"

Movie vewing count from the theater:
Return of the King:9
Two Towers: 11
Fellowship: 13

FRODO LIVES!
samwiselvr2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 12:50 PM   #11
samwise of the shire
Radically Tolkienited

Location: If home is where the heart is, and my heart is in heaven...that should answer your question. <+><
For me Tolkien has given me a love for the outdoors and walking. And he's also given me my place in teen society. Before Tolkien I was trying to be pop, listening to those who must not be named on cds, having a poster of one of them on my door and generally trying to be one of the chics without succeding and making myself miserable. That was when I just started reading LOTR and what not...5 years ago now, but as I've begun to understand him I've begun to long for simple life...a life of green and growing things with periodical runs into modern life...well ok once a day to drama classes, but that's because Billy Boyd, Dom Monaghan, Sean Astin and Elijah Wood have influenced my life in the realm of acting so...but then I wouldn't be acting if it wasn't for Tolkien because it was the interviews that I watched and read.
Tolkien has also given me a love for mideaveal authors like Shakepeare, Chaucer and Spencer. Their stories are still with us, but I wouldn't have been able to read them if I hadn't teethed on Tolkien first. I might try to read some norse sagas sooner or later, but right now I'm interested in British stories and the like.
There's lots more, but I dont want to write them now,
Cheers,
Sam
ps. He's also gotten me 2 friends...well God did, but he used Tolkien to bring them into my life and I'm thankful he did.
~J.R.R Tolkien
Radically Saved, Totally Tolkienited
GOD...
BLESS...
AMERICA...
samwise of the shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 09:53 PM   #12
eowyngirl14
i don't know what i am talking about either, so don't ask

I am now not so afraid of horses and have started to ride them again. (fell of when I was 9 and trying to learn to canter!) I took up srchery this summer. I took fencing at camp. (as close as I could get to sword play!)

If I parectice my violin every dayr for atleast a 1/2 hour. And I keep that up for about 3 months... my parents said they would buy me the life size Aragorn cardbpard figure and the lotr TTT sheet music! Bribary always works on me now!

'Then I will die as one of them' -Aragorn TTT movie

“They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety”
- Benjamin Franklin

arms are made for hugging

avatar from the avatar shop! made by Eowyn, Lady of Rohan
eowyngirl14 is offline   Reply With Quote