Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Literature
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-09-2000, 08:41 PM   #1
SilvaRanger

Whats the first book you ever read?

I don,t know maybe I,m getting nostalgic or something but I,ve been remembering the books I loved when I was really young.
That got me wondering what were the first books that people read or had read to them?
For me it was Winnie the Pooh, the story of a bear with very little brain My Mum had read it as a little girl, then my brother read it, so it was really a tradition in our family. Wiinie the Pooh is the firstbook I remember being read to me and, as soon as I could read I was given my Mums battered old copy.
I think one of my favourite stories was when Pooh got stuck in the entrance to Rabbits hole cos he was too fat. I suppose nowadays you,d get some politically correct person saying oh no can,t have that it,ll make children worry about their weight! And when Pooh and Piglet go hunting heffalumps
I think Pooh is almost more fun when you read it as a grown up as you can enjoy the humour and characters in a different way.
I read all the books of poems like When we were very young, and now we are six as well.
Btw in my opinion the disney version of Winnie the Pooh is positively sacriligous! I mean dear old bear with an American accent
Old 12-09-2000, 10:48 PM   #2
anduin

Re: Whats the first book you ever read?

Ahhh, Pooh Sticks is the best. I thought about getting Shepard's illustration tattooed across my back...in color...but I chickened out. Silva, have you ever read The Tao of Pooh and The Te of Piglet?

The very first books I ever read were Hop on Pop, The Cat in the Hat, and Old Hat New Hat by Dr. Seuss.

The fourth book I read was one of those "me" books where the story centers around you and your friends/relatives/pets. etc. It was titled My Birthday Land Adventure. :lol:
Old 12-09-2000, 11:48 PM   #3
X Rogue

Cinderella, actually. Perhaps that is why I now dislike dressing up.
Old 12-10-2000, 03:59 AM   #4
cee2lee2

It all started with a little Golden Book about Donald Duck :lol:
Old 12-10-2000, 12:14 PM   #5
emilsson

I think it was one of Astrid Lindgren's books about Emil, a little boy that usually screws things up though he means well.
Old 12-10-2000, 02:02 PM   #6
SilvaRanger

Re whats the first book you ever read?

Anduin Another Winnie the Pooh fan, excellent I've seen Tao of Pooh etc but never read them, are they good. They're to do with Zen buddhism aren't they? As I understand Zen you're not meant to do anything just go with the flow, does that mean I can stay in bed all day???:lol:
I loved those cat in the hat books, all about foxes in socks and kittens in mittens, apparently the bloke who wrote them didn't actually like children that much.
emilson didn't Astrid Lindgren also write some books about pippi longstocking, or is that someone else?
Old 12-10-2000, 08:25 PM   #7
anduin

Re: Re whats the first book you ever read?

Not Buddhism, but Taoism. Tao of Pooh is pretty good. He has Pooh pegged pretty well. I lost my copy of Te of Piglet before I could read it.
Old 12-11-2000, 02:56 PM   #8
Miralys

Hmmm. I can't really remember the very first book I read. I was very fortunate and my parents had me reading at an early age and also supplied the books for me (usually from the library). I think it was probably some sort of fairy tale since we had a huge volume of fairy tales. I was and still am a voracious reader.

As for being read to I had about two dozen audio tapes that I listened to every night at bed time. My favorites were Peter Pan, The Little Red Fox, and yes, Winnie the Pooh.
Old 12-11-2000, 11:09 PM   #9
Grand Admiral Reese

I really don't remember.
Old 12-13-2000, 07:12 AM   #10
arynetrek

the first book i clearly remember reading by myself was this preschool learn-to-read pamphlet about a cat & mouse named Mack & Tab. i think i've read alone earlier than that, & i know i've been read to since i was born. luckily i too have book-loving parents.

every once in awhile i have Little Golden Book flashbacks - remembering pieces of a story, one of the pictures, etc.

aryne *
Old 12-14-2000, 03:53 AM   #11
Elanor

I've never read the Tao of Pooh, but I got a big lecture on it in a history class once.

I have no idea what the first book I read was. It was probably in Dutch---I lived in Holland for 2 years and still have some little cardboard picture books in Dutch.
Old 12-14-2000, 09:02 PM   #12
Darth McClain

I don't know...one of the firsy books that i remember reading was The Cat in the Hat.
Old 12-15-2000, 08:51 PM   #13
dunedain lady

Books

I can't remember the first book I read, but I started at a very young age. Apparently, my second word was "book" and my first attempt at a sentence-"read book!" I'm doing Children's Literature for forensics, along with poetry, Tolkien, and other stuff, and it's always fun to hear books that I haven't heard since I was maybe five. I most recently did "What was I scared of?" by Dr. Seuss, or, as some of you may know it "the pale green pants book." It was soooo much fun! I just wish The Lorax wasn't so long, or I'd do that for this comming meet. Instead, I'm doing How Droofus the Dragon Lost His Head, which has alwyas been one of my favorites.
Old 12-26-2000, 03:50 AM   #14
the Lorien wanderer

Re: Books

Well, my mom used to read out stories to me all the time. But the first book I read myself was Snow White.
Old 01-07-2001, 10:32 PM   #15
jedi master princess

the first book i ever remember reading was something about little bear. i don't know who wrote it though...

the first fantasy book i remember reading was the hero and the crown.
Old 01-10-2001, 04:11 AM   #16
Elanor

The Little Bear books by Maurice Sendak! I love those. I know when I was little I read the Childcraft series a lot (I think it's published by World Book).
Old 06-14-2001, 02:16 PM   #17
webwizard333

For me I think it was the little engine that could (which my dad never ceases to remind me that I one made him read it every night).
Old 06-17-2001, 10:01 AM   #18
Idril Celebrindal

hmm... y'know, I really can't remember.
I do remember being read stuff like The House on Pooh Corner, and the Wind in the Willos... I loved both of those.
Old 07-05-2001, 03:24 AM   #19
Niffiwan

Well... I'm not sure if they were the first books I've read, but I remember greatly enjoying and even memorizing books by Alezander Pushkin; Russia's equivalent to England's William Shakespeare in popularity and cultural significance; he's basically the person who made the modern Russian language what it is through the peculiar (at the time) use of language in his works while all the other writers' works from that time are barely comprehensible.

The books were all poetry, and about various traditional-style Russian fantasy tales. They used quite a bit of complicated language, though, and I'm afraid I knew Russian better back then than I do now.

Not exactly the thing you'd expect a little kid to read, but I actually began to read all by myself quite late (maybe 4-5 years old?), although I looked at the words and understood what the pages said when I was being read to.
Old 07-06-2001, 12:35 AM   #20
merry linger

well i didn't learn to read till i went to school, i was more into sport and running around and all that stuff as a little kid...

but the first books i was able to read without help were books by Enid Blyton, Judy Blume, Asterix comics, Choose your own adventures, Fighting Fantasy books (Peter Jackson - is it the same Peter Jackson who's doing the movie??)

I first read the hobbit when i was 8, but didn't read LOTR until i was 13. my brother read LOTR when he was 10 - an impressive feat i thought for one so young...