Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-04-2001, 04:10 PM   #21
Agburanar
Elf Lord

I think it's good that Arwen's getting more to do, she is a little, hmm, boring in the book. After all she is having to abandon her family, her chances of sailing west and her immortality to marry Aragorn.

Newsround (a British news program for children, for the purposes of those not of Anglican origin) has a competition to win film 'goodies' and the question is: Who wrote Lord of the Rings? GAH! I AM FRUSTRATED. THIS IS NOT STAR WARS IT WAS A BOOK FIRST, TOO MUCH EMPHASIS ON THE FILM, NOT ENOUGH ON THE BOOK. Sorry, I get so emotional.
Agburanar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2001, 03:52 AM   #22
Miríel
Hobbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Agburanar
THIS IS NOT STAR WARS IT WAS A BOOK FIRST, TOO MUCH EMPHASIS ON THE FILM, NOT ENOUGH ON THE BOOK.

Totally agree!!
Miríel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2001, 01:34 PM   #23
Silva
Hobbit

I really dont see what it matters if someone has read knows and loves the book or sees the film and then reads the books, hopefully, and comes to love the books. Isn't it rather a form of snobbery to judge people like that? Not trying to offend anyone but for me I'm far more concerned about what the film will be like than whether we get lots of people getting into Tolkien who weren't into him before. After all, if they get that interest then they will read the books and learn the differences between book and film, I'm sure we all have our own visions of Tolkiens world anyway, just hope the film wont ruin mine. And if we have people with different ideas and views about Tokien then that'll be fun to have civilised discussions with them won't it?

Personally I'm nost disappointed at the loss of Tom Bombadill, I've been reading articles in a magazine that came with the daily mail newpaper, and they all say how Peter Jackson is a huge LoTR fan. But how can he be if he leaves Tom Bombadill out? Tom Bombadill is one of the most interesting and mysterious characters in Tolkiens world, even Tolkien wasnt sure what or who exactly he was.
*sobs* I want Tom Bombadill in the film
After all how will the hobbits ever escape from the clutches of old man willow without him??? Maybe that scene wont be in the film?

From the little I've read Arwen isnt actually going with the fellowship is she? That at least is something, just hope we wont get too much mushy romantic stuff, if we wanted that we could watch Love Story, *feels sick at the thought of it*
Old 12-05-2001, 04:11 PM   #24
Darth Tater
The man

The removal of Bombadil is totally necessary to make LOTR work as a movie. He really isn't part of the plot of the story, and though we all love him, he would only intterupt the film. Old Man Willow is, of course, out of the film as well. Arwen's additions seem to be mostly from the appendices, and just put into a different timeline. I think this is a wise move, otherwise we'd all be complaining at the end of ROTK that Aragorn should've married Eowyn, because in the film we'd have known nothing about this elven princess.
Darth Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2001, 04:49 PM   #25
mirrille
Elven Warrior

I don't mind if Arwen's story is expanded in the movie using material from the appendices, depending on how it's done. It's an interesting side story, probably more revealing about Aragorn than Arwen. But it sounds to me like that is not exactly what is going on. I just never really pictured Arwen as the kind to go gallivanting around the countryside waving a sword around. But in a few weeks we'll all see for sure what they did with her story.
mirrille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2001, 09:19 PM   #26
Darth Tater
The man

According to reviews she gets about 5 mins of screen time, nothing to get all jumpy about.
Darth Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2001, 06:25 AM   #27
Ace
Hobbit

Gandalf

I agree with some of you and disagree with others on the Tom Bombadil. All of you who say Tom Bombadil is an important character and totally rules because of his immense power and fan appeal, I'm with you.

I will probably long for the good old days, but there's always the level of knowledge. Someone who just saw the movies will not be even close to being able to carry on a conversation with a hardcore fan. We'll make them read the trilogy!

Those who are dedicated enough, will one day be hardcore fans!

"If the choice be mine, I say, we march!"
Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2001, 10:31 AM   #28
Agburanar
Elf Lord

Arwen doesn't give Frodo her horse, I suppose the pony outruns the black riders?
Agburanar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2001, 06:41 PM   #29
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Based on clips I've seen, it appears Frodo and Arwen ride on Asfaloth together.
Old 12-06-2001, 06:53 PM   #30
Strange-Looking Lurker
Elven Warrior

"I think it's good that Arwen's getting more to do, she is a little, hmm, boring in the book. After all she is having to abandon her family, her chances of sailing west and her immortality to marry Aragorn. "

I think it's important that it not be covered very much. Think about it: this is only the third elf/mortal marrage, EVER! Pretty big stuff, huh? But it hardly is even mentioned. I think that helps put into perspective how important the story about the war of the Rings is.
Old 12-06-2001, 08:19 PM   #31
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

I'm sure there was more than three Elf Mortal Marriages, minor ones I would guess. An example of one would be Prince Imrahil, Legolas noticed that he had Elven blood.

Quote:
At length they came to the Prince Imrahil, and Legolas looked at him and bowed low; for he saw that here indeed was one who had elven-blood inhis veins. 'Hail, lord!' he said.
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2002, 11:37 AM   #32
Brokehorn4000
Elven Warrior

I find it totally ignorant that people wouldn't take time to read the books. The books are really pieces of art. People shouldn't be afraid to read. I haven't seen the movie yet, but it got me to read the books first (I'm on RotK). Probably better too, or else I would have never started to read the trilogy and get all the facts straight.

I agree that there are many LotR fan wanna-be's.
Brokehorn4000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 10:21 AM   #33
Halley_Brandybuck
Elven Warrior

could you people be more snobbish?

Bombadil = not critical to the story, can be dropped

Arwen = rather important to the story, role expanded so as not to confuse the uninitiated

new fans = in today's society, some people don't have the time/patience/attention span to read it's a shame but it's the truth

I like ecplaining things to people I do it mostly for my brother who hasn't read it yet and my dad who hasn't read it since high school but he remembers most of it

there are people out there who have read it since seeing the movies and treating then as second-class fans is narrow minded and rude

I am in search of an MPEG version of the trailer... if anyone finds one, let me know!

Do not meddle in the affairs of females for they are PMS-ing and quick to batter.

"He fears you Aragorn, and what you may become"

Two Towers in 6 months!
Halley_Brandybuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2002, 07:57 PM   #34
Rei
Elven Warrior

Location: Hades....it's a tough job but someone's gotta do it
Just because a person hasn't read the book or has no plans to doesn't mean that they are "ignorant of wanna'be's". Tolkien is not for everyone, even the most die-hard LotR fans can admit that. I've read the books and I LOVED the movie.

And ever since the movie came out people who have never even heard of Tolkien or middle-earth have picked up the books and learned what a great story this is. Too bad some of the rather 'ignorant' fans of the books can't see that the movie is doing more good than harm.
In Imladris it dwells;
There shall be counsels taken
Stronger than Morgul-spells.
There shall be shown a token
That doom is near at hand
For Isildur's Bane shall waken,
And the Halfling forth shall stand.

Last edited by Rei : 06-29-2002 at 08:00 PM.
Rei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2002, 10:26 AM   #35
Brokehorn4000
Elven Warrior

Alright I'm sorry. But about Tom Bombadil, he still played somewhat of an important role in the FotR. Arwen is still important, I just thought she was fine where she was in the books.

Gee, I have to expand my view on things like this so I don't accidently insult someone again. Sorry again.
Old 07-01-2002, 10:41 AM   #36
Sween
im quite stupid

Since i watched the movie i was determined to read to book which is an achivement as i have never read a book in my 18 years of life well at least 1 that had long words and wasnt handed to me by school.

i read it in just under a week and there were parts which i just could not put down and some bits which were hard work.

in some ways i am ignorant and some ways i am not. in the book it seems to me they didnt half mess about. Gandalf knew the ring would effect frodo more as the years went by and they seemed to spend most of fellowship eating and drinking (at least the first book).

i though that PJ got the pacing much better they were in a hurry and needed haste. the only bit i didnt like was merry and pippin in the book are much better.

u can tell clearly from the book everything is from a hobbits point of view whilst in the film is mens. This is the biggest change which effects the way more of the events are percived.
Old 07-03-2002, 02:01 PM   #37
Khadrane
Elf Lord

Okay, this is my opinion. You can watch the movie and like it and not read the books. Just don't think that your a real die-hard Tolkien fan. A ton of my friends have seen the movie and not read the books. Also, if they're discussing LotR and use the movie as a guideline, that drives me insane. And I'm not prejudiced against people who see the movie and then read the books and love them. Oh yeah, Tom is important. If it weren't for him they wouldn't have gotten those cool swords from the barrow-wight place, and then the Witch-King wouldn't have been killed and Eowyn would be dead.

P.S. Don't tell me I'm snobbish. I already know I am.

FRODO LIVES!

ABORTION IS HOMICIDE
Khadrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2002, 11:08 PM   #38
Lanelf
Elven Warrior

Well, I'm one of the people who saw the movie, but I read the books straight after. As for the Arwen fiasco, I think she's made out to be something quite different to the books.
According to my sister, Glorfindel *was* in the movie! She says that there's an elf in the start - at the last alliance of Men and Elves - who we get a good shot of, and that's Glorfindel.

Look, I said I saw the movie before the books. But I did read them! well, apart from a few appendixes. I read most of Appendix E! I'm proud of that! I even have plans to read the Silmarillion(sp?).
I think people who have seen the movie but have not read the books can't really be die-hard fans, as Khadrane said, but they are fans of the movie. Like casual fans.
And if you don't think I'm a die-hard fan, ask the people I sit next to at school. It's amazing how quickly they get sick of my LotR talk.

Artemis Fowl must find Mulch Diggums!

You'll never shut down the real Napster
Lanelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2002, 02:23 AM   #39
Entlover
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Sween
Since i watched the movie i was determined to read to book which is an achivement as i have never read a book in my 18 years of life . . .
i read it in just under a week
You can be proud of yourself, Sween. That's the whole point of the movie as far as I can see, getting people to read the books.
If you liked LotR there are bunches of other books you'll enjoy; a lifetime's protection against boredom.

I don't quite get what you meant by saying the book is from the hobbits' point of view while the movie is from Men's. There aren't even any men in it except Strider and Boromir, who don't show up in the beginning. Seems to me it's from Frodo's POV mostly.
Entlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2002, 09:52 AM   #40
Brokehorn4000
Elven Warrior

Concerning Tom Bombadil, Khadrane is right. Tom was just as important any other character in the book. The same with Arwen.