Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-23-2005, 06:51 PM   #1
Adonai Dragonwagon
Hobbit

Location: If you ever want to find me, look in the clouds. I'll probably be there.
Lord of the Rings Music

I made a near identical thread in the Star Wars forum, and decided to make one about LOTR as well, since I'm a crazy musician like that.
Basically, I want to know

Which is your favorite soundtrack?
Do you have any favorite themes/techniques?
Anything you don't like?
What do you think of the credits songs? (The ones with words that play during the credits)
Any other random thing you'd like to say?

For me:
Which is your favorite soundtrack? I love them all, but I have to say the Return of the King.
Do you have any favorite themes/techniques? Again, I love all of the music, but I have to say that the part in the third movie where Gandalf rides over the plain with the light shining from his staff, and the lady is singing, gives me shivers every time. I also like the use of spicatto, and the tremelo really imparts a sense of urgency throughout the movies.
Anything you don't like? Falling asleep on the bus at 5 am, and being abruptly woken by the Mordor theme blasting my eardrums away. Actually, I don't like that the music makes it seem like Sam doesn't want to give the ring back to Frodo; if you push mute during that part, Sam looks afraid of Frodo like he's supposed to be, not covetous of the ring.
What do you think of the credits songs? (The ones with words that play during the credits) I don't really care one way or the other about them, but I do like Into the West, though I'm not sure why.
Any other random thing you'd like to say?
The man I take private lessons from played in The Fellowship of the Ring. They didn't have a set orchestra, and he's Bulgarian, (they have much better musicians than America does) so they asked him if he wanted to play. He agreed, and was very surprised when he went and saw the movie; he didn't realize that he was playing for such a famous movie.
Old 04-24-2005, 10:38 PM   #2
tolkienfan
Elf Lord

-I really love all the soundtracks, but I think my current favorite is The Two Towers

-I love the Rohan music especially.

-There is nothing I don't at least like.

-I like them a lot, they're the only ones my family will listen to.

I don't think the part with Gandalf and Nazgul and Faramir is sung by a lady.

Thanks so much to Last Child of Ungoliant, Twista, and BeardofPants for my avatar!
tolkienfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 10:41 PM   #3
Adonai Dragonwagon
Hobbit

Location: If you ever want to find me, look in the clouds. I'll probably be there.
I think you're right about that part with Gandalf, Nazgul and Faramir; it's sung by a soprano boy, isn't it? I knew as soon as I read that.
Old 04-25-2005, 12:57 AM   #4
Finrod Felagund
King of Nargothrond

That is correct, Ben del Maestro, boy soprano...soloist on the Two Towers and Return of the King soundtracks.
Old 04-25-2005, 02:14 PM   #5
tolkienfan
Elf Lord

Yeah, he has a great voice!

Thanks so much to Last Child of Ungoliant, Twista, and BeardofPants for my avatar!
tolkienfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 10:35 PM   #6
Manveru
Elven Warrior

Which is your favorite soundtrack? theyre all good
Do you have any favorite themes/techniques fav themes are the fellowship theme (especially during the shot with all the fellowship reaching the top of the hill after leaving rivendell and when played at the end of the fellowship move) the rohan theme, the gondor theme, and the sort of eerie music that they play at the very beginning of fellowship, when theyre going down the anduin, and when frodos alone at amon hen
Anything you don't like? i didnt really like the shelob, minas morgul, or isengard themes. theyre good for the movie but not really nice to listen to
Where the shores are sheer and dim
He launched his bark like a silver spark
From the last and lonely sand;
Then on sunlit breath of day's fiery death
He sailed from Westerland
Manveru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 01:27 AM   #7
Adonai Dragonwagon
Hobbit

Heh. I agree. Sometimes it's really nice and quiet on my bus, and I'm falling asleep because it's 5:30 am and I've been up late, and invariably I forget to wake up enough to skip the Minas Morgul theme before it starts assaulting my ears.
Old 05-01-2005, 06:26 PM   #8
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Treebeard

I like the "Captain Faramir and his suicide riders " song, Pippin's song, although the horribly distracting "Denethor the disgusting madman crunching bones" theme that they interlace is just wrong.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Lotesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 09:14 PM   #9
durinsbane2244
Dreamweaver

Nazgul

i liked pippins song, but not his singing.
the rohan music is sweet!! the chase music is realy awesome too! and the mordor/evil guys music! i think this is the only part of the movies they didnt mess up (except SOME casting)
And we are the dreamers of dreams,
Wandering by lone sea-breakers,
And sitting by desolate streams;
World-losers and world-forsakers,
On whom the pale moon gleams:
Yet we are the movers and shakers
Of the world for ever, it seems.
----------------
Shanti, shanti, shantih...
durinsbane2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 09:29 PM   #10
durinsbane2244
Dreamweaver

Nazgul

also, it woulda been cool to hear led zeppelin's kashmir as they went through Mordor. . .
And we are the dreamers of dreams,
Wandering by lone sea-breakers,
And sitting by desolate streams;
World-losers and world-forsakers,
On whom the pale moon gleams:
Yet we are the movers and shakers
Of the world for ever, it seems.
----------------
Shanti, shanti, shantih...
durinsbane2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 05:14 PM   #11
Elessar the Elfstone
Enting

my favourite piece of LOTR music is the gondor theme, and the piece of music in the extended cut of ROTK during the houses of healing sang by liv tyler
Elessar the Elfstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 09:35 PM   #12
Adonai Dragonwagon
Hobbit

I've only heard the houses of healing song once, but you're right, it's very lovely. Almost haunting.

I also like the Rohan music, especially in the ROTK, where they've got the solo violin, and the whole orchestra playing counterpoint to its melody... actually, I think it's the other way around. The orchestra is girding for battle, getting ready for war, and the violin is hovering over the top, singing about the futility of the war, but giving encouragement and calming people down at the same time. It's neat.