Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-06-2002, 03:33 PM   #1
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Suggested video for Tolkien Fans

I hope this is the correct forum in which to post this humble suggestion.

I happened across this video at the bookstore the other day, and it is really incredible. "J.R.R. Tolkien: Master of the Rings" [Eagle Media video, no serial number, website www.eaglevisionusa.com]. got it for $9.99, two-video set, copyright 2001, 80 mins.

Has some wonderful interviews with the Master himself, also with mnembers of the Tolkien society, a faculty member from Sandhurst Military Academy, Patricia Tolkien, Father John Tolkien, and others. Snatches of beautiful Tolkien-influenced music by a group called "Forever Autumn", interview with Roger Dean, excellent paintings by the Brothers Hildebrandt, and computer animation of the landscape of Middle-Earth.

It is a wonderful tie-in between the film and the books. Great synopsis of the books, but cheesy live-action shots using dwarves/midgets for hobbits.

Me and my girlfriend loved it, especially with the sections of Tolkien himself. He is hard to understand, he talks in a thick accent at ninety miles a minute, but fascinating. Made a great companion to the old Caedomon album I have of J.R.R. himself reading and singing songs from "The Silmarillion" and the sections of LOTR with Treebeard!

Apologies if this is posted in the wrong section of Entmoot. This seemed the closest match.
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2002, 05:53 PM   #2
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Nazgul

I just got it at Best Buy on DVD. It seems really good. It comes on 1 DVD was $9.99.

Can't really add anything other than what Bropous already said - other than the history of Tolkien himself is cool and how he wrote LOTR.

Oh - and I guess I would have put this in the movie section. I think that area gets more traffic.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 01-20-2002 at 05:56 PM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote