Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-18-2002, 09:56 AM   #1
Tar-Palantir
Hobbit

Did anyone else see the Silmarillion as...

Did anyone else see the Silmarillion as an opportunity? What I mean is, an opportunity for some writer to take up where Tolkien left off and write about 30 books from it?

I got the impression I was reading Tolkien's notes (which I was basically). Had it been written with the detail of the LOTR it could have filled 30 volumes. Had Tolkien the lifespan of the Numenoreans he could have written dozens of best-selling trilogies out of the Silmarillion alone. The Silmarillion is a skeleton, at best, without meat. And yet it was still amazing. The reason it is difficult to read is because there is entirely too much information to absorb at one time. The number of proper names is astounding. But were it written at a slower pace, with more detail, with the proper names spread out further to allow for better absorption, it would be much more entertaining.

Did anyone else see that?
Tar-Palantir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2002, 10:12 AM   #2
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

I don't have any source proof availible but was there not some plan to do something like that-use Tolkien's notes to create a series of more complete stories? It was scrapped for some reason.
Old 10-18-2002, 11:57 AM   #3
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Well, that is really what the Histories of Middle-earth series is, isn't it?
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2002, 05:31 PM   #4
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

The History of Middle-earth serie is a collection of Tolkien's notes and other stories that he wrote (I think, I only got three Volumes).
Old 10-18-2002, 09:21 PM   #5
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

No I mean really publishing stories.
Old 10-19-2002, 08:41 AM   #6
Millane
The Dude

i agree that the sil would be awesome as a series of 'stories' but who would do it???
Millane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2002, 03:34 PM   #7
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

There were actually names put forward-but I don't rememer the source of this...so I can't bring you any
Old 10-20-2002, 07:00 PM   #8
Elvellon
Elf Lord

Well, Tolkien did start to write those stories. In the Unfinished Tales and the story of Húrin we can see a glimpse of what they might have been… alas, he never finished them. I doubt that any other writer could make justice to them; such a writer would need both talent and a nearly obsessive dedication to bring them to the level Tolkien fans would expect, nay, demand.

Reality is just an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

The Caffeine Mantra
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the juice of Brazil that the thoughts aquire speed,
The hands aquire shaking,
the shaking becomes a warning.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion...

Elvellon Erelion
Elvellon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 01:42 PM   #9
Tar-Palantir
Hobbit

If it's true what I read about Tolkien not liking spin-offs from his creation (middle-earth) and if permission is unattainable to do so, then I suppose no one ever will put meat on the bones of the Sil. Is there any chance that policy might change? Does Christopher Tolkien have free reign of middle-earth at this time? Is there any point at which the lore of middle-earth becomes public domain?

Let me say that I don't blame them for not wanting a host of spin-offs polluting Tolkien's pure vision. I'm just wishing there were more. Plus there would be a chunk of change to be made here for the Tolkien estate, wouldn't there?.

Has anyone petitioned the Valar about bringing Tolkien back, sort of like Beren? (grin)
Tar-Palantir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 10:46 PM   #10
Treebeard's apprentice
Elven Warrior

I agree with Elvellon. Even if someone were able to write the stories the way Tolkien intended, too many people (possibly myself included) would think it nearly like blasphemy. The whole time you were reading it you would just know that Tolkien didn't really write it. It wouldn't feel right.
Treebeard's apprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2002, 04:57 AM   #11
Sween
im quite stupid

ive just read the simmilion and to me its really a collection of short storys which kinda mildly interlink in the end. But these short storys are good blueprints for many a movie. I think taking one person written work and trying to make it longer is completally stupid books are only good when they come out of a persons head. But films are a diffrent medium and therefore taking a story then making a movie is ok. The story of Beren and lutihen is particlary good one in my opionion and would have a good pacing for a film.