Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Literature
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-03-2001, 02:25 PM   #1
andustar
Elven Warrior

So how many of you here only read Fantasy?

Although this is not the best of Forums to put the question in, as those who don't won't look here, but never mind

Just curious. Fantasy seems to be a love or hate thing, with most of the people I've talked to. It's either they don't read any at all-I'm sure everyone who comes here has encountered these people, so no need to go into all the arguments about it- or they read ONLY fantasy and scifi. I only know one other person (she's at school with me) apart from me who can enjoy BOTH fantasy AND other genres of books, although that seems to be about to change with this post

So... what about you? and if you do read other types of books, what are they?
Old 09-03-2001, 08:51 PM   #2
ringbearer
Elf Lord

As you can see from this list posted on favorite novels...

("Not necessarilly(sp) in any order:

LotR
Amber series
The Magus (John Fowells)
To Kill A Mockingbird
any sci-fi by Cordwainer Smith or R.A.Heinlein
Fafhrd and Grey Mouser stories by Fritz Leiber
Catch 22

Many more, too numerous to mention!)

I like many kinds of literature(except romance novels). Anyone who "only likes " "one" kind is "one" dimensional!

Hide Witch, hide!
The Good Folks come to burn thee!
Their keen enjoyment hid behind
A Gothic mask of duty!
ringbearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2001, 10:07 PM   #3
cee2lee2
Elf Lord

Although because of limited time, I tend to read mostly science fiction and fanstasy, I enjoy many other types of literature. One of my all time favorites is "Pride and Prejudice." I like mysteries and historical novels, but will read just about anything. (even romance novels ) I recently finished "Anil's Ghost," a novel set in Sri Lanka.
cee2lee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2001, 10:13 PM   #4
Darth Tater
The man

I read books that are good. I don't give a damn about genre.
Darth Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2001, 04:53 PM   #5
poppy
Hobbit

I'm with Tater if you find a book that sounds a good read then what a shame it would be if you didnt read it. People say no matter what you read you always learn something new from it.
poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2001, 10:14 AM   #6
andustar
Elven Warrior

yay I knew I would find more people like me here . If the story is good, who cares if it's Fantasy or not? Although it seems some people do...
Old 09-13-2001, 09:44 PM   #7
Sakata
Elven Warrior

I read a lot of fantasy, with some other stuff mixed in as well

-Dare you venture into Gollum's Lair?

JESUS LIVES!
Sakata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2001, 06:58 PM   #8
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Okay, try to understand me when I say this:

Much of my favourite literature is fantasy, but I'm not a fan of the genre as a whole.

And what Tater said. Genre is such a subjective measure, and there's so much fiction that is simply unclassifiable anyway.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2001, 08:46 PM   #9
greenman
Sapling

I love reading

I like to read, it doesn't matter what, just as long as it introduces something new. Meaning by this, something that can challenge mine present perspective and alter it in a positive way. That's why I appreciate fantasy so much. It usually creates a whole new world, and describes the subjects in such detail that they almost become tangent. At least the great authors do
But nevertheless I also enjoy 'normal' literature, like plays from W.Shakespeare, and great classics such as Wuthering Heights and Moby Dick. And besides that I spend a great time reading for my study, which I also enjoy.
So in all, just as long as it ads something usefull to my conscienceness I'll enjoy reading it. (Ofcourse it helps if the subjects involved stimulate me beforehand).
greenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2001, 10:14 PM   #10
Renille
Elven Lady of Speed-posting

Mostly, I'm a fantasyaholic. But I also do read other books. Really, I devour absolutely anything I can get my hands and eyes on...been that way since I could read (at age 3ish-4ish.)
(from Seussical the Musical. Listen to it...watch it...really.)
Renille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2001, 11:59 PM   #11
Varda
Elven Warrior

welll by looking at my bookshelf i would have to say for the most part i read only fantasy books and a little scifi... besides the hobbit, lotr, silmarrillion and the lost tales (my dad just sent me those... havent gotten very far.... been busy), i have gulliver's travels, darwinia by robert charleston wilson, the lost years of merlin by t.a. barron, lady of avalon by marion zimmerman, a clockwork orange, the narnia books, one piers anthony book (not too thrilled with that one), george orwell's 1984, john irving's cider house rules, a couple other things not worth mentioning and some school text books....... so yeah.... about 90% fantasy.... 5% scifi and 5% other stuff..... or something like that......
Old 11-13-2001, 11:24 PM   #12
Bregalad
Elven Warrior

I read everything that isn't nailed to the floor!!! I love fantasy/sci-fi but it's only part of what I read. I guess I don't have a favorite genre, I like some of everything. As long as it isn't boring! I like horror (Stephen King, Dean Koontz) westerns (Zane Grey, McCarthy) {McCarthy wrote "All the Pretty Horses" and I didn't go see the movie because I was just sure they killed it} Comedy (anybody read "Confederacy of Dunces", Fabulous!) mystery, Rita Mae and Sneaky Pie Brown, "the cat who..." series by Lillian Braun) classics (Jane Austin, Mark Twain) children's books (Dahl, the Harry Potter series) books I don't even know how to classify, and.......dare I admit it.......romance novels! (Although, in my own defense, if you have never read Jayne Ann Krentz/Amanda Quick she is histerically funny!)
Whew! I'm tired even thinking about all the stuff I read! and somewhere in there I even manage to work and have a life as well!!

This post property of Entmoot.

Last edited by Bregalad : 11-13-2001 at 11:25 PM.
Bregalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2001, 10:50 PM   #13
cee2lee2
Elf Lord

Sounds like you are really enjoying yourself!
cee2lee2 is offline   Reply With Quote