Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 12-07-2003, 01:09 PM   #1
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

Loving the Films

With the arrival of the theatrical release of ROTK, it's time to celebrate the wonder and magic of the Lord of the Rings film trilogy. It's a shame that some Tolkien fans feel the films have somehow threatened the books. The truth of the matter is that there could be no bigger advertisement for the books than these films. I guess in a weird sort of way, the fact that some fans feel the films threaten the "real" story is the ultimate compliment that one could give to Peter Jackson's storytelling.

But I digress. This is not a debate thread. For many of us longtime Tolkien fans, these films are like falling in love all over again; a chance to reexperience that magic of our first time reading of the story. It's not total perfection and that is one of the reasons why we have occasionally had some lively and interesting debates here. But I would like to see a thread dedicated to a general 'lovefest' celebration of all that's good about these films.

Some of the things I appreciate and celebrate include:

--That New Line had the bahoonas to tell PJ they wanted three films rather than two (or heaven forbid, ONE as Miramax insisted). How incredible is it that we fans got to see our story presented in three films as it should be!

--That so much time and effort was put into making the props, sets, and location REAL. One of the keys to the books' success was that you felt you were reading a history. I am so grateful that Alan Lee, John Howe, and the people at WETA were involved in this project and so dedicated to the same goal as Tolkien.

--That the casting was so dead-on. Ian McKellan and Viggo Mortenson have been absolutely brilliant. I also think it's amazing how much Orlando Bloom has done with Legolas even though he is a secondary character with not very many lines.

--Sean Bean's performance as Boromir. His performance has enriched my personal view of the character in my readings since the opening of FOTR.

--How the films have touched so many people who would have never picked up the novels if not for these beautiful films.

So how have these films impacted you personally?

Why have they touched such a responsive cord with so many people?

Have they reshaped your view of the story?
I will respond to these questions myself later.
Old 12-07-2003, 01:24 PM   #2
squinteyedsoutherner
Elven Warrior

They have been a great disappointment.

For the same reasons Titanic did.

They have increased my appreciation for the subtleties and nuances of the original.
Old 12-07-2003, 01:28 PM   #3
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by squinteyedsoutherner

They have been a great disappointment.

For the same reasons Titanic did.

They have increased my appreciation for the subtleties and nuances of the original.
What SquintyEyed said ^

They haven't done anything to change my few of the story - but they have demostrated that some people will say anything to hype a movie.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 12-07-2003, 01:41 PM   #4
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

Okay, the trolls have had their fun and reminded us all yet again how bad the films are on a thread clearly intended to do the opposite.

This thread is intended for people who liked the films. If you didn't, this is not a thread for you to tell us why.
Old 12-07-2003, 01:43 PM   #5
jerseydevil

By the way - that "I guess in a weird sort of way, the fact that some fans feel the films threaten the "real" story is the ultimate compliment that one could give to Peter Jackson's storytelling." Is ridiculous. What bothers us is that it CHEAPENS the books. Tolkien is rolling over in his grave with the dwarf jokes and the farting and burping - hardly masterful storytelling on jackson's part.

Had to respond to that sicne you want to constantly praise Jackson and distort what we have to say.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 12-07-2003, 01:49 PM   #6
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Black Breathalizer
Okay, the trolls have had their fun and reminded us all yet again how bad the films are on a thread clearly intended to do the opposite.

This thread is intended for people who liked the films. If you didn't, this is not a thread for you to tell us why.
We didn't - you asked for our opinions with questions - that is what we did. You can't just segregate your threads with only those people who agree with you.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 12-07-2003, 01:51 PM   #7
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

you know; only so many jackson threads are needed, BB.

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
Old 12-07-2003, 01:56 PM   #8
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by hectorberlioz
This is the LORD OF THE RINGS MOVIES forum for crying out loud!!! Do you want more Ralph Bakshi threads instead?!?!?!

I suspect the new rules here are only going to resort to more locked threads (including this one) unless the trolls are banned.

Last edited by Black Breathalizer : 12-07-2003 at 01:59 PM.
Old 12-07-2003, 01:58 PM   #9
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

Quote:
Originally posted by hectorberlioz
Well, this is a forum for the movies.

I don't love them as much as many others, but I do view them as good movies.

Quote:
Not very much. But they have made me appreciate the books much more. But it was the movies which made me search the internet for other Tolkien-fans.

Quote:
I think it's because they have a very wide appeal. They have a little bit of everything, so to speak. And the acting and effects are very good.

Quote:
No, not really. The story, The Lord of the Rings, will always be the same to me, a movie can at least noot change them.

Last edited by Falagar : 12-07-2003 at 02:02 PM.
Old 12-07-2003, 02:11 PM   #10
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Black Breathalizer
This is the LORD OF THE RINGS MOVIES forum for crying out loud!!! Do you want more Ralph Bakshi threads instead?!?!?!

I suspect the new rules here are only going to resort to more locked threads (including this one) unless the trolls are banned.
We;re not trolls - we are people who have a difference of opinion from yours. We tried staying on topic - but you're complaing aobut us posting in here is what is taking it off. Also- calling us "trolls" is flaming.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 12-07-2003, 02:14 PM   #11
hectorberlioz

BB, i was of course saying only so many jackson loving threads were needed.
btw, watch out, SGH is watching you flame.....
no namecalling remember?

The Da CINDY Code
~
Old 12-07-2003, 03:02 PM   #12
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

BB, have you ever considered that Tolkien fans criticize the films, not because they feel threatened, but because we felt they were bad films? Honestly.

That said, you managed to list everything that I felt was good about them.

The props, location, and effects were at least well-done, even if they were often silly and unreasonable. (Why, for instance, is /Rohan/, the land of horses, depicted as being rocky, uneven terrain that would be horrible for large groups of horsemen?)

The casting was actually fairly good. There are a few that were really awful (That... gah, Liv Tyler, Agent Elrond) and a few that I might have rather seen otherwise.

Sean Bean did provide an excellent portrayal of Boromir. His acting was very good, and he did indeed provide an emotional connection with the audience. However, this was more due to the fact that it is easier to empathize with someone on screen than someone only described in text.

"How the films have touched so many people who would have never picked up the novels if not for these beautiful films."

Have they? I do not think that the films have really created any real appreciation for Tolkien. People that read the books (they are not novels) of course came to an appreciation of them. But the fact that people read the books because there is a film based on them says nothing of the quality of the film- people will read the books even if it was a /bad/ film, simply because there /was/ a film.

They most obviously have not. I found them completely forgettable and they have not even made my top ten list of recent films.

That answer is easy. They touched a chord (not /cord/) with many people because, quite simply, the Lord of the Rings is the greatest work of fiction of our age. And some of that must, almost nescessarily, transfer over to a film based on it.

Well... I have decided that the complaints about Tolkien being long-winded have no merit when compared to interminable scenes in which the heroes teeter on the brink of a collapsing structure, and that his genuine wit and humor can never be replaced by shallow, trite flippancy.

All in all, I will say this- Peter Jackson has produced the best tolkein films thus far. He has not, however, come anywhere close to producing the best Tolkien films possible. In fact, all I see is a shallow husk cleverly disguised to look the same. The real spirit of the books are conspicuously absent from the films.

Last edited by Wayfarer : 12-07-2003 at 03:05 PM.
Old 12-07-2003, 03:56 PM   #13
hectorberlioz

you see BB?(read wayfarers above post) not any of us trolls are critical for nothing.

The Da CINDY Code
~
Old 12-07-2003, 04:01 PM   #14
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

It's been inspiring to hear how many people have felt personally touched by the films. There was an article in a magazine last summer about the number of people who used the films to find inspiration to do important things (great or small) in their lives. I consider myself one of them.

When FOTR came out, I was considering a new job opportunity. While my heart told me it was the thing to do, there was another part of me that was scared to have to uproot my family and deal with the long hours and nitty-gritty work involved in assuming responsibility for another organization. When I finally went to see FOTR after a year of eager anticipation I was expecting a welcome distraction from my personal decisions. But when Frodo stared at the boat and heard Gandalf's reassuring words in his head, it really hit home for me too. Gandalf's words were not Peter Jackson's, they were JRR Tolkien's. Yet something about having them highlighted in a film in the way they were gave them a new life and made them all the more powerful and profound.

If these films haven't struck you in this way, that's okay. But don't ridicule and discount the feelings of those who feel differently. Jackson's films may not be your cup of tea, but they've become a dear friend and a slice of magic for others.
Old 12-07-2003, 04:22 PM   #15
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
If these films haven't struck you in this way, that's okay. But don't ridicule and discount the feelings of those who feel differently. Jackson's films may not be your cup of tea, but they've become a dear friend and a slice of magic for others.
I dont' think that is what's happening. You can not post segregated threads. Every member of this community has a right to post in any thread and any forum on this board as long as they abide by Entmoot's posting policies. Useing the term'trolls' in reference to the book fans that are posting is flaming.

You know people, I am trying very hard to get this forum back to normal for both movie and book fans. I would appreciate a little cooperation.

Because this thread has already managed to turn into a disrespectful, argumentative thread with flaming, you leave me no alternative but to close it. You can be sure that any future threads that are created that deviate from the new rules posted will also be closed. Sorry. But until everyone, and I mean everyone can conduct an intelligent, non flaming debate without resorting to such low debate tactics, that's the way it will be.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Closed Thread