Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-29-2004, 10:52 PM   #1
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

Baby Names

I did a search and the only thread that was close to this was something that involved the govt and whether or not they had the right to stop a couple from naming their kid a certain name. Anywho, as many of you may or may not know, My husband and I are trying for a baby and I was wondering what some of my fellow mooters thought for baby names. I have several picked out. I love names that start with "A" so all the names I have start with "A".

What are everyone's favorite names or what would/did you name your kids?
Arien the Maia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 11:12 PM   #2
Lady Ravyn
Thief Queen of Entmoot

i like the name Cameron for a boy and the names Sylvia and Elissa for girls
good luck with the baby!

Proud Member of the Evil Mooters and upstanding citizen of the Planet Bob!

And all you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be...

My Space!

Cynicism is what happens when a person opens their eyes; stops blinking in the sun, and starts wondering "why". Question everything, believe only that which you yourself deem true. Go ahead- Call me cynical.
Lady Ravyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 11:23 PM   #3
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

My son's name is Justin, and I also like the name Christopher. For a girl, I think the name Page is so pretty. Of course when picking your baby's name, you want it to fit well with the last name too.

Edit- I knew I spelt that wrong. It is "Paige" Thanks BoP.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 11:50 PM   #4
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

Sylvia and Page are cute names for girls. When I was 12 or so, I really wanted my name to be Page Actually, I was thinking if I have a boy I want to name him Antony Michael and if it's a girl then her name will be Arien Maia.
Old 06-29-2004, 11:57 PM   #5
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I used to love the name Paige, and the lady I used to board with named her girl Paige after asking for suggestions, and the child was such a little monster, that I've never been able to feel the same way about the name ever since!

I really like Catalyna, or Clara for girls names. My name is Anna, and I abhor it, but not as much as I hate the name Anne/Ann. I like Dustin for a boys name.

It's funny, names are so subjective, aren't they? Whatever you do, don't name them the popular names of the year, or they'll have to put up with having 3 or 4 of them in their classes.
Old 06-30-2004, 12:28 AM   #6
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
I really like Catalyna, or Clara for girls names.
Catalyna is a pretty name, but how do you pronounce it? It kind of reminds me of the place name Catalonia.

Quote:
It's funny, names are so subjective, aren't they? Whatever you do, don't name them the popular names of the year, or they'll have to put up with having 3 or 4 of them in their classes.
Oh yeah, I know at least 5 Michael's the same age as me.

Last edited by Linaewen : 06-30-2004 at 12:31 AM.
Linaewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 12:38 AM   #7
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by Linaewen
Catalyna is a pretty name, but how do you pronounce it? It kind of reminds me of the place name Catalonia.
Lin! Don't be ruining this name for me!

http://www.gaminggeeks.org/Resources...tic-Female.htm

From there, I gather that it's the Irish equivalent of the Greek variant of Katherine, so I would guess, but don't know for certain, that it's something like Cat-a-lee-na. I guess it's related to Caitlin as well, which I also like.
Old 06-30-2004, 01:01 AM   #8
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
Lin! Don't be ruining this name for me!

http://www.gaminggeeks.org/Resources...tic-Female.htm

From there, I gather that it's the Irish equivalent of the Greek variant of Katherine, so I would guess, but don't know for certain, that it's something like Cat-a-lee-na. I guess it's related to Caitlin as well, which I also like.
Or Cataluña or Catalunya or....

Speaking of place names, I might call my child Melbourne.

Thanks BoP. With Celtic names, though, they're often pronounced it a way utterly different to the spelling.

What about character names? Lyra (From His Dark Materials) is a nice name IMO.
Linaewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 02:07 AM   #9
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Oh Shut it. I asked my online friend, who uses it as a psuedonym (which is where I got it from) and according to her, it's pronounced like Catalina, ie, Cat-a-leen-a. Now stop playing with my head.

Oh, whilst I'm here, how about Breeana... You can call her Bree for short.
Old 06-30-2004, 09:32 AM   #10
Beruthiel's cat
mystical divinity of Unashamed Felinity

Location: New York's beautiful North Coast -- we're all mad here!!!
Had I ever had children, I wanted to name a girl Alyssa Joy and a boy Jamison Powell (middle name is a family name.) But there are many, many other names I like also. I also considered Anna Kathryn (to be called "Anna Kate") and Robert Charles.

Emma was my grandmother's name and my cousin named her daughter Emily as a tribute.

I have nephews named Justin Richard and Stephen Randall and a neice named Meredith Marie.

I have named female characters in stories Tallis, Callista, Damina, Lysial, Amaris, Miranda and Raevyn.

I have had male characters with more conventional names, like Patrick, Eric, Ben and Jason.

I don't know if you want to go into what I've named my cats, but some of them have had names that are really people names, too, my current cat being Jasper.

Just be sure that you don't make it too hard to spell or too hard to figure out how to pronounce based on it's spelling.

As far as "A" names I like, there are Amanda, Andrew, Andrea, Andreas and Alys.

"Never try to out-stubborn a cat!" -- R. Heinlein

~~~~~~~~~

"But I don't want to be among mad people, " Alice remarked.
"Oh, but you can't help that," said the Cat; "We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here." ~~ Lewis Carroll

~~~~~~~~~~~

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana...
Beruthiel's cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 10:06 AM   #11
Elvengirl
Mirthful Maiden

I've always loved the name Felicity, it's probably my favorite.

I also like Laurelyn, Alex, Andrew, Aubrianna, and Eric.

Wanna play? www.thievesguild.com
Elvengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 10:35 AM   #12
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

if I had any Greek in me I would name my daughter Athena...I'm thinking about it but like I said, I'm German-Irish so I don't think it would really fit

I like the name Anastacia....you could call her Ana or Stacy
Old 06-30-2004, 11:04 AM   #13
Bunnie_Queen_1146
90% angel

Well i am still a kid but i still like names:P well i have a couple that start with 'A' i have been thinking about-

Guy and Girl-Amanda, Adam, Alanna, Alex, Anna, Angel, Aaron, Aba, Adrienne, Alyssa, Alexandra, Amber, Andrea, Alan, Andrew, Avery. Those are people I no of. . I also found this website when i was on MSN and i clicked on it and it says most common names well i will try to give u list. well actually i will give u the sites-

http://www.babycenter.com/babyname/
http://www.babychatter.com/
And i found these on google so ya-

http://www.babyzone.com/features/content/default.asp?TopicID=30 and

http://pregnancy.parenthood.com/babynames.html

There ya go if thats some help. Talk to you later
/Back when a hoe was a hoe/Coke was a coke/And crack's what you were doing/When you were cracking jokes/Back when a screw was a screw/The wind was all that blew/And when you said I'm down with that Well it meant you had the flu/I miss back when

Last edited by Bunnie_Queen_1146 : 06-30-2004 at 11:14 AM.
Bunnie_Queen_1146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 11:08 AM   #14
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

My wife wouldn't let me name any of our sons 'Arthur' - which I wanted (not even for a MIDDLE name! ). We do have an 'Aaron'.

Don't suppose you'll seriously consider 'Arien' or 'Aragorn'?

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 11:12 AM   #15
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

Quote:
Originally posted by Valandil
My wife wouldn't let me name any of our sons 'Arthur' - which I wanted (not even for a MIDDLE name! ). We do have an 'Aaron'.

Don't suppose you'll seriously consider 'Arien' or 'Aragorn'?
Well, Aaron's out for sure since that's my name (although spelled Erin)

but yes, I am seriously considering Arien ...actually I found a website where you can search for names and their meanings and Arien was under the Hebrew name list as well as the Greek name list

(Aragorn is a bit much...I don't want him to be fun of even if it is a heroic name !)
Old 06-30-2004, 11:17 AM   #16
Bunnie_Queen_1146
90% angel

Yea when I was searching sites there was you can search there meaning and stuff like it. I added a couple more in my message it is just above a bit.
/Back when a hoe was a hoe/Coke was a coke/And crack's what you were doing/When you were cracking jokes/Back when a screw was a screw/The wind was all that blew/And when you said I'm down with that Well it meant you had the flu/I miss back when
Bunnie_Queen_1146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 01:28 PM   #17
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Just avoid any wacky celebrity kid names. Whats with that?? Why does every celebrity have to give their kid some goofy name? Never understood that. I guess they feel they need to be trend setting or something. But naming youre kid Coco and Klaymor just seems dorky to me.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 01:35 PM   #18
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Arien the Maia
but yes, I am seriously considering Arien ...actually I found a website where you can search for names and their meanings and Arien was under the Hebrew name list as well as the Greek name list
I was in a site like this - I think they invented at least half of the Hebrew meanings. 'Arien' for example - I've never heard anyone with this name, and i'm sure it has nothing to do with Hebrew.
Arien is a nice name for a girl. It's not as weird as the average Tolkien names.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 02:21 PM   #19
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally posted by Arien the Maia
.... and if it's a girl then her name will be Arien Maia.
Arien is nice, but I think if you named her Arien Maia, you would run the risk of turning her off Tolkien for life!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 02:51 PM   #20
Beor
founder of the color blue

I like the name Abigail for a girl. I only hope I spelled it right (hopefully do better on the birth certificate!)

I dont know of any really kick ass names for boys with an A, other than Adam. I named my kid William (origional, right), but you still can. Never too many Bill's (unless you have to pay them)