Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-24-2004, 04:09 AM   #21
Haradrim
The Official Court Jester of the Entmoot

I think Frodo may be under-rated because I never thought his character was as good as everyone elses. Aragorn had so many levels. So did Boromir and Gandalf, and MErry, and Pippen, and Sam, and GOllum but Frodo was the tragic hero. THat was it. and it got kind of old.
Old 08-24-2004, 02:33 PM   #22
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elanor the Fair
Frodo is an underrated character because of his quiet, unassuming personality, but just think about what he sacrificed. Only Frodo could know what the Ring was really doing to him, he must have already had some inkling of this when he agreed to take the Ring to Mordor. What a sacrifice - taking up a burden that was not of his own making, sacrificing his peace of mind and his health, exposing himself to all the horror that he felt so keenly, and all in order to save his beloved homeland and all its inhabitants.
I don't doubt that what Frodo did was incredibly valubale, but I just got the feeling he was going to fail at the last hurdle so to speak.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 03:46 PM   #23
Haradrim

And he did fail in his quest. HE did not destroy the ring. It ws gollums little mishap. So Frodo was unable to elude the hold of the ring. He didnt cast it into the fire. If not for Gollum who knows what would have happened.
Old 08-24-2004, 04:43 PM   #24
Telcontar_Dunedain

So in a way Sam was right but if he had had his own way the quest would have failed.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

Old 08-24-2004, 11:12 PM   #25
Haradrim

What do you mean by "if he had his own way"?
Old 08-25-2004, 02:55 AM   #26
Telcontar_Dunedain

By tying up Gollum, by killing Gollum and by leaving Gollum.

Old 08-25-2004, 04:04 AM   #27
Haradrim

You are right. If Sam had his way then the uest would not have suceeded. But maybe Frodo sunk deeper because of Gollum and his sweet-talking Im good kind fo ways. Maybe without Gollum then the ring would have been dropped by Frodo and he gets to keep his finger.
Old 08-25-2004, 04:15 AM   #28
Telcontar_Dunedain

No, Gollum just made Frodo realise how much he wanted the Ring.

Old 08-25-2004, 04:23 AM   #29
Haradrim

So you are saying that Gollum in fact helped Frodo understand hsid esrie for the ring? That makes sense.
Old 08-25-2004, 08:20 AM   #30
Telcontar_Dunedain

And I think that helped him to resist it for so long, seeing what the Ring had done to Gollum so in a way Gollum presence was bth good and bad for Frodo.

Old 08-25-2004, 08:44 AM   #31
Haradrim

yeah wel we can safely say that if absolutely anything hadnt happened the righ t way Frod, Sam, Aragorn, Merry, Pip, Legolas, Gimli, Treebeard, Eomer, Eowyn, Faramir, Elrond, Arwen, Galadriel, and all the others would have been dead
Old 08-30-2004, 03:00 PM   #32
Thorin II
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haradrim
Hey who gave him the title the dark lord. I am sure it wasnt him. And even if he did give it to himself whats wrong with liking the dark a lot. I stay up all night most nights because I love the night. Knowing that I am the only one awake in a ten mile radius. Man that is fun. So what if he calls himself the Dark Lord if in fact he gave himself that name.
Somebody enjoys stirring up a hornet's nest, eh?

I understand where you're coming from, but again, I think it's difficult to disagree with a fantasy author about that author's universe. You may not think absolute evil exists in our world; certainly, the point is debatable. Tolkien makes it very clear that absolute evil DOES exist in Middle-Earth, and that it originates from Melkor and Sauron, among others.
Old 08-30-2004, 03:06 PM   #33
Thorin II
Elven Warrior

My favorite character is Gimli. For one thing, I'm a big fan of the dwarves; I think their history is worth more time than it gets in the LOTR. For Gimli in particular, I like how he ruffles feathers throughout the story.
Old 08-30-2004, 11:11 PM   #34
Haradrim

Once you read mor eof my posts you will realize why I said that. And another dwarf fan! WHOO!
Old 11-24-2004, 10:43 PM   #35
Manveru
Elven Warrior

my favourite character is faramir, he has to take on so much responsibility with the death of his brother, and he carries through even tho his dad is going insane.

and for the gollum/frodo thing: it was frodo's pity in gollum that helped him complete the quest. frodo completed the quest, not by throwing the ring in the cracks of doom, but by saving gollum from sam in the emyn muil (not to make sam sound bad, i like sam too)

and for the dark lords being misunderstood: it is true that history is written by the winners, it was frodo and bilbo that wrote the hobbit and the lord of the rings and they get alot of their info from the prejudices of the elves and men who are at war with sauron. obviously they are not going to like him and are going to rationalize killing orcs by saying that they are evil. there is a video somewhere on the web called fellowship 911 which is a spoof off of farenheit 911 by michael moore, its really funny and supports this opinion alot. you guys should definately watch it
Manveru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 02:12 AM   #36
Forkbeard
Elven Warrior

My favorite character is Gandalf, then Treebeard.

Is Haradrim a disciple of Olmer? Olmer have you been evangelizing among the newbies again?
Forkbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 07:21 AM   #37
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

Nazgul

i am not sure who my favourite character might be,
contenders include the following:
saruaman
gandalf
elrond
aragorn
cirdan
celeborn
galadriel
glorfindel
gildor
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 10:50 AM   #38
brego
Sapling

Mine is Aragorn
forgotten lore-
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly
there came a tapping,
As of someone gently rapping, rapping at my
chamber door.
'Tis some visitor," I muttered,"tapping at
my chamber door-
Only this and nothing more."
The Raven by Edgar Allen Poe
brego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 01:17 AM   #39
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telcontar_Dunedain
Well the title DARK LORD he gave himself gives away part of what they forgave him for.
Wow. You guys are hilarious. Haradrim, get over it. Melkor ar Sauron nar úmëar. MORGOTH AND SAURON ARE EVIL. Wow... I've really got to get a handle on this Quenya thing...

My favourite character is Glorfindel, followed by Elrond's sons. In LotR, of course. We all know who my real favourite character is. *ahem* Finrod

Neil Gaiman
Elemmírë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 04:10 AM   #40
Telcontar_Dunedain

Thingol?