Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-29-2003, 09:16 PM   #1
Ninquelote
Elven Warrior

Already thinking of highschool?

If you're in 8th grade, like me, you should be worrying about high schools.

Here you can post your anxieties, and hopefully get advise from people in higher grades.

XIAN- for hating Wiccans.
MURDERER- for hating vegetarians.
PREP- for hating Goths.

These are a few of my favourite things, the hypocritical stylings of the most "liberal" groups.
Ninquelote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 09:35 PM   #2
Dreran the Green
Lady of Legends

Hey, this goes for me! I already know which highschool I'm going to, but I'm a little worried about my classes. I have so many of the more complicated ones, and I didn't take a study hall!
And I'm joining two different clubs, which isn't counting all the school plays and musicals (I love anything to do with the Theatre or making movies!!!) AND the Lord of the Rings club I and a few friends are going to try to start! I hope I'll have time to hang out, and of course post here at entmoot!
Of course, I'm a very mellow person, so I'm not really THAT worried about any of that. The BAD part about going into highschool is I'm going to a different school than one of my best friends! We've seen each other every day in school since first grade, and now we won't I'm just lucky that none of my other friends are going to a different school, too

*This is not actually true. The road to Hell is paved with frozen door to door salesmen. On weekends many of the younger demons go ice-skating down it. ~Good Omens
Dreran the Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 09:43 PM   #3
Ninquelote
Elven Warrior

Ach, I'm switching from a tiny school (a bit over 100 kids in the middle school alone) to a huge school (over 5,000 kids in 9th grade alone).

I'm worried about social stuff, because I went to a quaker school and we were all friends. There was a stong teacher-student relationship (we called them by their first names, we could make fun of them, we could have fun and talk with them whenever), now I probably won't have that kind of relationship anymore.

My best friends are all going to different high schools (but they're suited to each of them, I believe), and now my mum is going to force me to have sleepovers and have people come over because we moved so close to the highschool.
The highschool does not have a theatre program, but is going to bring back the aerodynamics class (woohoo. Definate woo-frickin-hoo.) I might join the administrative office and help type letters (I can type, fastest, 150 words per minute) as a club, I get community service stuff for that.

I'm not worried academically at all. Not one bit. I feel as if I can handle anything they throw at me. Socially... I'm really not too sure.

The only good bit is that I'm going to a really good highschool.

XIAN- for hating Wiccans.
MURDERER- for hating vegetarians.
PREP- for hating Goths.

These are a few of my favourite things, the hypocritical stylings of the most "liberal" groups.
Ninquelote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 09:54 PM   #4
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

5000 thousand kids in grade 9 alone. im in grade 9 and we have like 150. my whole school is only 700 kids. but i like high school better then elementary
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.
gimli7410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 09:55 PM   #5
Elvellyn
The Redneck Elf

Yes, I'm in the 8th grade and will be going to highschool next year. I ain't too awful worried. I play for the JV softball team now, so I already know alot of the people.
Old 04-29-2003, 10:06 PM   #6
Sminty_Smeagol
Manic Cardboard-Box Dweller

I'm in 8th grade and there are slightly over 100 kids in a grade.... there's only a bit over 500 kids in the whole school, it started just 6 grade and they're adding a year every year. Only goes to 10th grade now.
Old 04-29-2003, 10:29 PM   #7
Anglorfin
Alasailon

High School is fun, guys. Just have fun.

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."
Anglorfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 10:35 PM   #8
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

yea there is a lot more freedom then in elementary
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.
gimli7410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 11:00 PM   #9
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
The nice thing about high school is you usually know where you fit in, or at least have a bit of an idea. This isn't true for everyone, but is generally so.

High school, like so many other things, is made a much bigger deal than it really is. While personally my freshman year was horrible, it really had nothing to do with actually being in high school. Yes, the classes are harder, and if you're a freshman everyone will probably be bigger than you.

Some advice:

-Don't act like an annoying freshman. Yes, you're in high school, but you are at the bottom of the heap. I'm not saying bend to the will of the seniors, but be respectful and DONT BE COCKY.

-Stay in the habit of doing your homework, because it's easy to get behind.

-Don't be afraid to go in for help before or after school. The teachers don't bite.

-If possible, try to talk to an upper classmen if you have any in your classes or happened to run into them in the hallway. A lot of upperclassmen take freshmen "under their wing", so to speak. I had a person do that to me, and in turn am currently helping another freshman out (though she's almost NOT a freshman..).
Old 04-29-2003, 11:07 PM   #10
Elven Archer
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by gimli7410
yea there is a lot more freedom then in elementary
you had freedom in elementary??

i'm in 8th grade right now. I'm also homeschooled. For the last 10 years i went to a private school that had pre-K to 12th with only about 300 kids altogether. well i'm not sure if that counts pre-k. once you got to 7th grade at my old school it was pretty much like you were in highschool.

I dont' want to be homeschooled for my first year of real highschool though. but i really don't want to go back to my old school for a boatload of reasons. since we don't live in city limits there's only one other school to go to without moving. it's not the greatest school. in fact my brothers and sisters were going there but they hated it so much they switched to the school i left this year. so i don't know what i'm gonna do.
Old 04-29-2003, 11:08 PM   #11
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

Enjoy yourself. You don't know what you're missing until you're done. You get more freedom, and frankly far less responsibility then you think. Don't sweat the small stuff.
Old 04-29-2003, 11:35 PM   #12
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

I would just like to take this opportunity to give all of you (future) underclassmen a chance to practice your groveling before a senior. You may begin.

Starr's advice about not being cocky is good. There is no better way to get on a senior's nerves than to act like you know it all.

Overall, the best advice I can give is to just have fun.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 11:55 PM   #13
Aralyn
FloraAzul

Location: Anywhere as long as there is a library in a one mile radius of here
I'd like to give advice but two things
One) I'm currently IN Highschool
and Two) I'm a one woman school Just me A graduating class of one

Yet many shall be amazed when they see Him-yes even far off foreign nations and thier kings; they shall stand dumb-founded, speechless in his prescence. For they shall see and understand what they had not seen before-Isaiah 52:15a

Civil War- 498,332 dead
WWI-116,708 dead
WWII-407,316 dead
Korean War-54,246 dead
Vietnam War-58,665 dead
Persian Gulf-372 dead
War on The Unborn=35,000,000 dead and counting
Aralyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 06:43 PM   #14
turtlelover
Elven Warrior

i'm in 8th grade now and i can't wait for high school!!!!!!!there will be so many new people!! I'm especially excited bout' all the new guys!!! i'm sure highschool will be great i'm not worried at all bout' that!! It's what comes afterthat that is freaky!!!! College will be insane for me i'm sure!!!!!!

"I don't know why it does this! maybe i'm allergic to bras?"-Dee
turtlelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 06:52 PM   #15
durin's bane
Lady of Westernesse

I'm in sixth grade and have some anxiety about junior high. What I'm really worried about is getting lost (the school I'm going to be attending is HUGE) and getting stuck in my locker.
Old 05-06-2003, 07:15 PM   #16
Elf Girl
Lurker

I'm in 7th grade. Not to worried about high school.

There are about 900 kids in our school. Maybe a thousand at the high school.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 01:46 PM   #17
galadriel
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Starr Polish
A lot of upperclassmen take freshmen "under their wing", so to speak. I had a person do that to me, and in turn am currently helping another freshman out (though she's almost NOT a freshman..).
Yeah, as sophomores (though still technically underclassmen) my friends collectively "adopted" a few freshmen. They're all sophomores now, but they're still "our freshmen" at heart.

High school *is* fun. Lots of opportunities to (a) have freedom, and (b) avoid stupid people. Everyone more-or-less gets over the bullying attitude that tends to plague middle school.

Don't worry too much about the work: from my experience, you won't get especially stressed out until junior year. Freshman year was a piece of cake.

dreamflower
- for all things Lady Galadriel
galadriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 01:55 PM   #18
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

I have little knowledge of the American school-system, anyone care to explain how old one is supposed to be when one starts in High School?
Old 05-07-2003, 02:30 PM   #19
Elven Archer
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Falagar
I have little knowledge of the American school-system, anyone care to explain how old one is supposed to be when one starts in High School?
14 or 15.
Old 05-07-2003, 02:38 PM   #20
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

Thanks. Here in Norway we start in something called "Videregående" (mens something like "advanced") when we're 15/16, which I think is pretty much the same as High chool.

I'm starting next year.

Last edited by Falagar : 05-07-2003 at 02:40 PM.
Falagar is offline   Reply With Quote