Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-15-2003, 10:42 PM   #1
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Accomplishments thread

We have the venting thread and the happy thread, and I thought we could use an accomplishments thread. This is to tell people things that you have accomplished which have made you feel good, things you wish to accomplish or things you are currently trying to accomplish.

Just to start it out - I'm currently working on my NJ Travel website. Trying to develop the interactive parts using JSP and Java. I am also working on a completely new layout. If you are interested in seeing it (only a select few have seen it and you know who you are ) - AboutNewJersey.com New Design. It's only my initial layout - trying to come up with the orginization and how the overall look will be. Any input would be appreciated. (only the history and Jersey Shore parts currently work)

As far as the interactive part goes - right now I'm coding the virtual postcards. It's been slow going and I need to start making better progress. The other day I did manage to successfully code the same pagination format that Entmoot has, ie, "Pages(29): «First... « 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 » ...Last»" So I was happy about that.

There are other things I'm working on - but this is the big thing.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 11-15-2003 at 10:44 PM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2003, 11:36 PM   #2
Ruinel
Banned

I love the buttons.
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2003, 11:42 PM   #3
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruinel
I love the buttons.
Yes I know. Hopefully there are other things that will catch people's eyes though.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2003, 12:23 AM   #4
Ruinel
Banned

I posted this in the happy thread. But I suppose it really belongs here.

"Finally got the repair company to agree to fix the over the range microwave for free (well, for a $50 service charge).

Damn thing was in place for 15 years before my roommate bought the place a year ago. When she bought it, a warantee for all appliances was purchased with American Home Shield.

This microwave was always maintained by my roommate according to the manufacturer's specifications, yet it broke down after 16 years of use (go figure ). It had some grease in the range hood, I suppose from the previous owners, though we never fry anything in grease here. But not so inside the microwave's 'working parts' (I took it apart to see AND take upclose digital pics). The repair people told the warantee company that the transformer went out because the inside was 'full of grease', which was a freakin' lie.

So, I did some research with GE. Over the range appliances are two separate appliances in one: a range hood (with a vent system) and a microwave. GE claims that grease and steam from the range go into the vent and out, and never enter the microwave AT ALL. I then asked them if it was at all possible for the inside working parts to be affected at all by steam and grease. They said it wasn't possible.

I made the repair company come out a second time, hovered over their sorry @$$es and made them explain everything they were claiming. The guy who came out didn't even take off the front panel and only looked in through a vent and claimed it was full of grease inside. I grabbed my screwdriver, opened the front panel and said "where? show me exactly where" He felt some wires and said, oh, there's grease on this wire here... I felt it also... no grease.

So, he said that he was only going by the rules that the warantee company put down. I said, "I'll take that into consideration when I file a complaint." At that, he said he would take it to the shop and have it repaired for free. It will be back sometime this week."

I think that's damn good of an accomplishment considering they were pretty firmly set on not fixing it for a little over a month.
Old 11-16-2003, 01:59 AM   #5
Lady Tinuveil
Elven Warrior

I am glad to say that I accomplished the house work for today, and also made a great dinner for my family, and a delicious banana pudding.
Also, I finished a clever novel that I started last thursday.
On the to-do list: fix my handbag, I discovered a hole I must sew in the denim strap. And most important, everyones laundry!

Ladies: do any of you have this sewing problem? My machine is blocked up, and now I have to sew by hand. [pm me if you know how to fix this problem]
Lady Tinuveil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2003, 11:41 PM   #6
Ruinel
Banned

What do you mean by "blocked up"?

I bought a sewing machine from a pawn shop once to make a halloween costume (and I still have it, though I don't use it at all). The thread kept bunching up under the material and I thought it was broken or something. I dunno much about sewing actually. So, I took it to a sewing store, they had a sign in the window that said they fixed sewing machines. It turned out it wasn't really broken after all, that I was using the wrong brand of needles in it or something. Hell, I thought you just put one in and go. *shrugs* And the guy who fixed it adjusted all the little dial thingies too, and showed me how to put the thread in it. Apparently, there's a certain way the thread goes through these dial thingies and metal eye thingies, and it has to be a certain way or it won't work. Who knew! It didn't cost that much to take it to him and he was really helpful. Maybe that's what your problem is too. Sorry, I don't sew at all (my costume was very basic), so that's all I can help you with Lady T.
Old 11-17-2003, 02:17 PM   #7
Ruinel
Banned

Jonathan's physics test

Jonathan made a great grade on his last physics test but he's too shy to post it here and brag. So, I'm doing it for him. Forgive me, Jonathan, I'm too happy for you to let it go.
Old 11-17-2003, 02:38 PM   #8
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Re: Jonathan's physics test

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruinel
Jonathan made a great grade on his last physics test but he's too shy to post it here and brag. So, I'm doing it for him. Forgive me, Jonathan, I'm too happy for you to let it go.
Sheesh - I don't want to brag . And the test wasn't that special either, but I'm glad it went as well as it did.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 04:40 PM   #9
Ruinel
Banned

Maybe you don't want to 'brag', but I think the purpose of this thread is that if you are happy about something you did, you could post it here. Or am I wrong, JD?
Old 11-18-2003, 11:57 PM   #10
Shadowfax
The Fleet-Footed

Grade 12 first term report cards today...all A's for me! Eeeeeee!!

"To remain ignorant of things that happened before you were born is to remain a child" (Cicero, 106-43 B.C.)

"Art is a lie which makes us realize the truth" (Picasso)
Shadowfax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 01:16 AM   #11
Lady Tinuveil
Elven Warrior

//The thread kept bunching up under the material and I thought it was broken or something. I dunno much about sewing actually. So, I took it to a sewing store, they had a sign in the window that said they fixed sewing machines. It turned out it wasn't really broken after all, that I was using the wrong brand of needles in it or something. //

Well, I tried to fix it myself. I have had that same problem before, with the thread bunching up, and I know how to fix it. This time though, It is stuck & it wont sew anything...I think it is the wheel, It isnt working. Thank you for trying to help. My sewing machine is an old piece of junk, I dont think its worth the time to take it to a shop.
Old 11-21-2003, 01:18 AM   #12
Lady Tinuveil
Elven Warrior

~

Yesterday I finished a huge snowman, We got 5-6 in. in our town, and I made him so tall! He turned out very nice.
And Also: I made some cocoa, and read a little. I accomplished very little the past few days...
Old 11-21-2003, 04:19 AM   #13
Guillaume le Maréchal
Elven Warrior

Argh, jealousy... snow. The only thing I’ll have to look forward to is wet rain and, if I’m lucky, an ice storm. Exiled to the south... bah.

At the moment I’m attempting to accomplish regularity. Don’t laugh... you’ll grow old someday too.

-Dave
as good as war, trouble and action.

--Bertran de Born, Knight and Troubadour

Castle Duncan
Guillaume le Maréchal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 03:38 AM   #14
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

Right now I'm trying to graduate. heading into finals, and then only one semester after that.
crickhollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2003, 12:50 PM   #15
gollum9630
Canadian Guy.

My school team came in 7th in AA schools in the province. We hoped to win it all, but did fairly good considering we only had 2 remaing starters and 1 other player from last year, plus 4 juniors (gr 9 & 10). Next year we should do way better since will have 9 returning starters

Wierd Harry Potter quotes

the old nintendo duck hunt game

Lemmings

Swron

Random Homer Simpson Quotes
gollum9630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 01:55 PM   #16
eowyngirl14
i don't know what i am talking about either, so don't ask

I started reading Harry Potter and the order of the pheonix again. (yes that is an accomplishment for me) i was reading like 5 books that i didnt really like; The Red Tent (too long) Izzy Willy Nilly (too boring) Make Lemonade (too poem like) and Beyond the Chocolate war (good, but not as good as harry potter!!)

and i had been meaning to read the fifth book over again since i realized, whiel reading fanfiction that i really understood only about 2/3 of the book the first time i read it!

'Then I will die as one of them' -Aragorn TTT movie

“They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety”
- Benjamin Franklin

arms are made for hugging

avatar from the avatar shop! made by Eowyn, Lady of Rohan
eowyngirl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 09:00 PM   #17
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

i got 36 out of 70 on my active health test pretty good mark considering i only half studied in the car
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.
gimli7410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 09:43 PM   #18
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Yay! I had my first harp lesson for quite awhile - it's been about 3 months - and my teacher was very pleased with how I was playing. Even tho it's been so long, I managed to have not re-picked-up my 2 bad habits of (1) shoulder going up and (2) crawling (playing strings without prior placement of fingers), and played quite well. We played around with some different arrangements of an ancient Irish air and really enjoyed it.

*reads Guillaume's post and realizes that it's possible to know TOO MUCH *

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 10:32 PM   #19
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Guillaume le Maréchal
...At the moment I’m attempting to accomplish regularity. Don’t laugh... you’ll grow old someday too.
*stifles a laugh*
My mom used to keep prune juice in the fridge all the time. She drank a glass a day (sometimes more). Why don't ya try that method. If all else fails, I see that Metamucil comercial on tv all the time. Here's their site... Metamucil
They'll even send you a free sample it seems.
*feels very helpful to the elderly today*
Old 11-29-2003, 01:59 AM   #20
Guillaume le Maréchal
Elven Warrior

Thanks for the link, Ruinel... very helpful. (I know I’m not the only person to click on that link.) I’m allergic to prune juice, by the way.

R*an, its my motto that you can never know too much. Knowledge sets you free, you know... but it doesn’t necessarily set everything free, if you know what I mean.

--Dave
as good as war, trouble and action.

--Bertran de Born, Knight and Troubadour

Castle Duncan
Guillaume le Maréchal is offline   Reply With Quote