Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-15-2002, 07:24 PM   #1
fireworks19
Elven Warrior

I guess this goes here....

Does anyone else play Magic:The Gathering? I just got started in it, and its actually very fun... However, I'm also learning to play the Decipher LOTR movie TCG. Its....hard. Rather complicated...the cards are pretty though =)
Old 01-15-2002, 07:44 PM   #2
Dhagda Ioma
Hobbit

I kind of do.

I have little experience. They have a Lord of the Rings card? Very strange. I was never told of that. Magic is a very fun game, however.

Old 01-15-2002, 08:13 PM   #3
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

I got the gandalf start kit thingy...still have no clue how to play though nice cards.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2002, 06:09 PM   #4
fireworks19
Elven Warrior

Yeah, I have the Aragorn one. You know what sucks? You can only get the Frodo starter wtih Merry and Pippen in it if you buy a box set of all 3 starters.

The game makers, Decipher, has a site www.decipher.com where you can get help on game play. Not that it really helps all that much anyway.

There's actually an old LOTR game, too. The card backs had the eye of Sauron on them, very creepy. I think Eowyn/Kelly has a whole deck, but neither of us knows how to play. The cards are all hand drawn though, a little cooler than the movie pictures on the new ones, I think.

*Whatever you do, Tristan, don't mix the site cards in with the rest of the deck...you need those seperate.*
Old 01-20-2002, 09:15 PM   #5
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

Yeah, the rules on the site don't help at all. The Gandalf and Aragorn starters don't come with those tokens...thats not very fair. Apparently you need red tokens (wound tokens), black tokens (for twilight pool , whatever that is; and for Frodo's thingys), and playing tokens.....I guess getting those glass beads is easy enough - but still!

I know not to mix site cards with the rest of the deck...I have also bought about 6 booster packs because I just like the cards and don't care that a. I have no one to play with and b. I don't know how to play.

I divided my cards into 8 unique piles: site cards, possession cards, event cards, condition cards, companion cards, minion cards, ally cards, and a pile of one ring cards.

Trends I've found in booster packs: I have found in my 6 booster packs almost NO COMPANION CARDS. I've only gotten 3 companion cards from all 66 additional cards: Dwarf Guard, Lorien Elf, and Pippin. Not that great. The only ally cards I've gotten are Bounder (barliman came in the starter set though). I have like 6 bounder cards. Conditions, Events, and Sites seem most common (to me) in boosters. Minion cards are more common than companion. But thats just in my experience... The 6 additional rare cards I've gotten are ok, but I've been hoping for an Arwen card...and that doesn't seem too likely. Thats one of the most rare cards... and in 1/6 of the packs there is a holo/foil card. Fireworks, have you gotten any foil cards?
I haven't gotten a single one. Hmm think of the odds of getting a foil Arwen card .

Maybe we could think up a way to play online..

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2002, 12:09 PM   #6
Dhagda Ioma
Hobbit

g

Foils are rare. They are only for collector's sake though.
The tokens don't have to be a specific color. They just recomend it. And as far as online playing, you can forget about it. I tried it last night. Magic is easier for that. Speaking of which, anyone wanna play me?
Old 01-21-2002, 05:42 PM   #7
fireworks19
Elven Warrior

Wizards of the Coast is actually making a way to play online. You can buy the cards online and play. Neato. =)

I haven't gotten any foils, but I only have the Aragorn starter and 2 boosters. I got Sam, Gimli, and 2 Legolas..es...I might give up actually playing and just collect....I dunno.
Old 01-22-2002, 11:11 AM   #8
Dhagda Ioma
Hobbit

YP

You shouldn't give up playing! It's a great game if you give it a chance. I promise you, fireworks. If you have any questions about it though, all you have to do is ask.
Wish I had Sam. Wish there was a way I could trade you. I have Arwen.
TTYL.
DI
Old 01-22-2002, 11:13 AM   #9
Dhagda Ioma
Hobbit

BTW

I'm planning on playing Magic online. It looks incredible. They said you can trade your physical cards for online cards and vice versa.
ME AGAIN