Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-10-2001, 08:42 PM   #1
Mace McClain

Who is your favorite hobbit?

Mine's Frodo, but Bilbo is at a close second.
Old 05-10-2001, 09:12 PM   #2
Banazir32

Re: Who is your favorite hobbit?

Mine is also Frodo, and after that- Merry.
Old 05-10-2001, 11:46 PM   #3
Elsilar

Re: Who is your favorite hobbit?

Save the best for last... and that is what Tolkien did. (when it came to the ringbearers)
Long live Master Samwise!!!!!

Bilbo talked with a dragon (quite impressive), but he knew he was invisable. In that same converstation he inraged Smaug to destroy an entire village. This he did that when he named himself "Barrel Rider"

Frodo screamed at a "Black Rider" and accepted a most frightful quest (although he did not fully know what he was getting into). He also was bold enough to continue the journey, cross the Anduin and go into Mordor alone. All this is quite impresive and worthly of praise.....

however....

Frodo would not have lasted with out Sam. He saved Frodo from the Orcs. and they mistaked the little Hobbit gardener as and elven warrior. He was willing to finish the quest alone and (and he really did know the full danger) Of course what really put Sam over the top is he did something that only few*** could even possibly do. He beat Shelob ... a child of Ungoliant.

Sam .. no contest (:

***- of the people who lived in the third age in middle earth these could beat Shelob - Mithrandir, Sauron
--- and if they were lucky - Aragorn, Glorfindel, ---- (and maybe tom bombadil)
Old 05-11-2001, 01:36 PM   #4
Prince Faramir

Merry and Pippin

Are surely my favourite Hobbits but i like this quote Elsilar where did u come by it?

"- of the people who lived in the third age in middle earth these could beat Shelob - Mithrandir, Sauron
--- and if they were lucky - Aragorn, Glorfindel, ---- (and maybe tom bombadil)"

but surely the other ring bearers could, elrond galadriel...

how also did ungoliant die? me not got around to the silmarillion yet [or how to spell it :P]
Old 05-11-2001, 03:33 PM   #5
Idril Celebrindal

Re: Merry and Pippin

Surely Merry... closely followed by pippin. The guys are so much tougher/more useful than anyone expects, and great fun along with it...
Old 05-11-2001, 04:56 PM   #6
Elsilar

last steward

Prince Faramir - there were not any quotes around what i wrote i was just speculating who could beat Shelob. -- Silamrilion said that Ungoliant devoured herself (there is more that could be said..... but not here @ this topic strand (or forum) - i guess its only fair)
Old 05-12-2001, 01:59 PM   #7
Mace McClain

Re: last steward

Idril-Merry and Pippin are cool. Samwise also rocks, but Frodo is da hobbit.
Old 05-12-2001, 10:55 PM   #8
Inoldonil

I like Fredegar Bolger.
Old 05-14-2001, 08:44 AM   #9
easterlinge

Fredegar Bolger? He didn't seem to do much.

I like the way Lobelia Sackville-Baggins stuck up to Saruman's ruffians with an umbrella.

And who could forget Nob and Bob?
Old 05-14-2001, 07:18 PM   #10
Mace McClain

Fregegar? Never heard of him. Where is he from?
Old 05-14-2001, 09:27 PM   #11
Banazir32

Fredegar Bolger (also called "Fatty") was one of Frodo's friends in the Shire. The one who stayed behind when the four hobbits went into the Old Forest.
Old 05-15-2001, 11:26 PM   #12
Inoldonil

He did more than that! But it is his character I like, I don't pick favorites based on accomplishments.

As for accomplishments, however, there is much to say.

He was involved in the conspiracy against Frodo, with Sam, Pippin and Merry. His job was to stay behind at Crickhollow and deal with curious persons to make sure his secret was kept, and to pretend to be Frodo, he was to wear his clothes to help in the part. Also he was the bonus that a message would be left behind for Gandalf.

In the event Gandalf did not wait for news ('or I would have been comforted'), but Fredegar did other things. Thinking that Frodo Baggins was at Crickhollow the Nazgul raided the house, but Fredegar fled out the backway before they got to him. He ran miles as fast as he could to the nearest settlement, but all he could say for some time was 'I haven't got it!'. Eventually they gathered there were invaders in Buckland - from the Old Forest they thought, and they blew the Horn of Buckland and drove the Ringwraiths out. When Lotho and Saruman were controlling the Shire he led a band of rebels against them in the Bockenbores, but was captured. Frodo and company met him coming out of the Lockholes, he was not quite Fatty anymore.

He was a very typical Hobbit.

He lived in Budgeford in Bridgefields, and my guinea-pig holds the honour of his name, I'll have you know.
Old 05-16-2001, 08:21 PM   #13
Banazir32

Sorry, Inoldonil. When I said that Fredegar stayed behind, I definitely didn't mean that was the only thing he did, or that it was a bad thing. He sure had many accomplishments, and I understand why you like his character. I meant no offense.
Old 05-16-2001, 11:06 PM   #14
Inoldonil

Oh, don't mind me. I was snapping at everyone equally.
Old 05-17-2001, 07:34 PM   #15
Mace McClain

Sure...
Old 05-17-2001, 08:03 PM   #16
Banazir32

Ok, it's nice to know that...
Old 05-18-2001, 02:36 AM   #17
Inoldonil

:lol:
Old 05-18-2001, 08:11 PM   #18
Mace McClain

Its very nice to know
Old 05-19-2001, 09:56 PM   #19
Perisil

I found Pippen to be the most comical out of the all the hobbits and I admire such traits in such a very small being in a age so dark and unsure i found him to be a real breath of fresh air. liek when he threaten to wrestle Bergil and stand him on his head :lol:
Old 05-20-2001, 07:04 PM   #20
dunedain lady

Hobbits

Smeagol! Yesssss my precioussss!

Okay, if you're talking modern, non-corrupted hobbits, Sam's my favorite

And Merry and Pippin are great, too.