Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Harry Potter
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-19-2005, 03:25 PM   #1
durinsbane2244
Dreamweaver

What will happen with the actors?

as anyone can obviously tell, by the time they're done making the harry potter movies, the actors will most likely be in their twenties. what will they do? i dont think they'll get new actors, they only did that cause the old dumbledore died so what CAN they do?
And we are the dreamers of dreams,
Wandering by lone sea-breakers,
And sitting by desolate streams;
World-losers and world-forsakers,
On whom the pale moon gleams:
Yet we are the movers and shakers
Of the world for ever, it seems.
----------------
Shanti, shanti, shantih...
durinsbane2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 11:40 PM   #2
azalea
Long lost mooter

We were discussing this in another thread, and my opinion is that it won't be a problem. They'd only be a year or two older, and I'm happy to suspend my disbelief.
It's done all the time (actors being a couple of years or even more off from the character they are playing).
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 12:49 AM   #3
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

I agree with azalea. After all, Alan Ruck was almost 30 when he played high school senior Cameron Frye in Ferris Bueller's Day Off. And he pulled it off.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 03:10 AM   #4
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

i agree with them - it won't be a problem. If at all, they would only be 2-3 years older than their characters - no biggie.

People in their 20s play teens all the time.

Aren't the actors the correct ages though? Or pretty darn close to it ? (like only off by a year or two).

If I remember correctly, there has been a Harry Potter movie every year (or just about every year) since the first movie -

- so in that case why would they be too old? They are just growing as the characters should be.

It is also best to have them look older and mature for the later love/relationship stuff.

The 4th one comes out in a few months, I believe (september?).

Would make NO SENSE to get new faces for remaining 3 films just because they may or may not look "too old"

2001 - Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
2002- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
2004- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
2005- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
2007- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
2008- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

And then I am guessing that the last movie will be a year or two after HBP (as in 2009 or 2010 - it will be written by then)

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 08:56 AM   #5
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

As Tristan said, it hasn't been a problem so far and I don't think it's going to be. I was surprised how early voices were breaking in Chamber, and the kids were definitely shooting up by the time Azkaban rolled around, but then my sibling hit twelve and thirteen and it all seemed a lot more accurate.

For a sense of perspective, keep in mind that Leonardo DiCaprio pulled off a convincing sixteen-year-old in Catch Me If You Can. In fact, for much of Hollywood's history, it was uncommon to cast teenagers at all. Check out old detective movies from the forties and you'll see what I mean.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 09:18 AM   #6
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Hello IronParrot, long time since I've seen you posting.

Well, you wondered what all those Soviet gymnastics coaches were doing after their dodgy, adulthood-postponing methods were exposed? They are now in Hollywood slipping hormones into child stars' big macs on set.

Once they've finished the last one they will then be free to become corpulent drug addicts.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 09:47 AM   #7
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOBBIT
2008- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
2008... I wonder if Tony Blair will still be around to play himself in the first scene?
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 11:19 AM   #8
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

I'd read somewhere that the guy that plays "Harry" wanted to take some time off for school and wouldn't be doing the next film. Anyone else heard anything?
Old 07-29-2005, 09:18 PM   #9
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

I haven't heard anything Spock, but I certainly wouldn't blame Daniel Radcliffe (who plays Harry) if he did want to do that. I mean, he's going to be writing his OWLs-- I mean his O'levels soon!
The movies would be a bit stupid with a new actor in the lead role, but then again, Dumbledore #2 seemed to be pretty successful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun-star
2008... I wonder if Tony Blair will still be around to play himself in the first scene?
Aah, but that was not Tony Blair, nor was it John Major (?), Margaret Thatcher, or anyone specific. Rowling has cleverly written a timeless scene that doesn't cast any certain politician.

That being said, I think it would be awesome if Tony Blair played the Muggle PM.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 09:25 PM   #10
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

yeah, and IMO he's enough of a regular guy to do it.
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 09:54 AM   #11
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
Aah, but that was not Tony Blair, nor was it John Major (?), Margaret Thatcher, or anyone specific. Rowling has cleverly written a timeless scene that doesn't cast any certain politician.

That being said, I think it would be awesome if Tony Blair played the Muggle PM.
It's not timeless... she said exactly what year it is, when she wrote the Death day of Nearly Headless Nick was in 1492 and the 500 death day was in Harry's second year, meaning Harry's second year is 1992. And so - 5th year is 1995/6, and the summer of 6th year is in 1996.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 12:11 PM   #12
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radagast The Brown
It's not timeless... she said exactly what year it is, when she wrote the Death day of Nearly Headless Nick was in 1492 and the 500 death day was in Harry's second year, meaning Harry's second year is 1992. And so - 5th year is 1995/6, and the summer of 6th year is in 1996.
Yep, but the days of the week she uses don't fit with that calendar. Not to speak of moon phases (in the third book...)

although perhaps in the magic world there are some days that appear and disappear like the steps of the stairs...
Old 07-30-2005, 06:47 PM   #13
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

See, it is timeless! Besides, she said maths wasn't her strong point, so give her a break! (I'll use whatever timeline the Harry Potter Lexicon deduces.)
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 06:49 PM   #14
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

hmmm, I almost understand that.
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 06:54 PM   #15
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

It has nothing to do with Math but logics... it's really hard to make it all be on the right time when you givethe date (even though it seems like Tolkien did it well), I agree - then at least cut it off, and don't publish it IMO... there are many problems with the time she chose. For example, something that Neville through out of the window in one of hte books (I can't remember which) some kind of Playstation IIRC, was not yet invented in Japan at the time...
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote