Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Harry Potter
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-06-2005, 08:05 PM   #1
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

HP and the Order of the Phoenix

No worries, Rad, about spoiling the next book, because I've already read it! Actually I read it before the 4th book!

Anyway, I didn't like it as much. Too much fighting, not enough of the fun relational stuff.

The house was funny, tho, with that screaming picture.

Can't blame Sirius for wanting to get out!

So when do we find out why Dumbledore trusts Snape?

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 10:18 PM   #2
inked
Elf Lord

Rian,

The series should be read in order of publication!!!!! I've ranted on that before in the Narnia thread, remember?

You are reading a "coming of age" story in the classic British school story, after all!

(And just for those insistent that religion gets into EVERY thread)...You wouldn't read Revelation before Matthew, now would you? (I mean from scratch!) .
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 06:21 AM   #3
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by inked
Rian,

The series should be read in order of publication!!!!! I've ranted on that before in the Narnia thread, remember?

You are reading a "coming of age" story in the classic British school story, after all!

(And just for those insistent that religion gets into EVERY thread)...You wouldn't read Revelation before Matthew, now would you? (I mean from scratch!) .
Bah! that doesn't solve the real problem: what SW trilogy is to be seen in the first place by the new generations?
Old 04-07-2005, 04:53 PM   #4
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Rian,

Well, um, actually I read the last quarter of the third book, then the whole fourth book, then the first 3/4 of the third book ...

*runs and hides from inky's wrath*

I'll be good from now on, though!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 04-07-2005, 05:11 PM   #5
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by R*an
Anyway, I didn't like it as much. Too much fighting, not enough of the fun relational stuff.
I agree... I thought it was way too confusing, and last part - and was badly done, generally. It seems to me like JKR isn't very good with the 'action scenes' - or magic fights, in other words. It's all one big mess, and you don't really know what's going on.. till Dumbledore comes.

And I really don't like the fact she killed Sirius - not that I particulary liked/disliked Sirius. I don't like the fact she feels oblidged to kill one of her main characters in every book, probably for the rumours that someone is going to die.

I all of Hagrid's part... well, not all - all the part with his brother? Grip? Gramp? eh, slipped my mind. I think it wa sjust a waste of time, and was done only to make the book longer - don't really see why. Seems like she feels as if she must write every book longer than the one she wrote before.

And of course - I didn't like Harry. He was extremely annoying, yelling on everyone. Especially at the start, and the ending - after Sirius died. I don't really see what she was trying to achieve in that. His bad personality and attitude of things he didn't really understand?

Frankly - the book was a disappointment to me. But as I said, some people thought it was very good. Somehow.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 10:51 PM   #6
cee2lee2
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radagast The Brown
And of course - I didn't like Harry. He was extremely annoying, yelling on everyone. Especially at the start, and the ending - after Sirius died. I don't really see what she was trying to achieve in that. His bad personality and attitude of things he didn't really understand?

You know, I felt the same about Harry and was very disappointed in his character. Kept trying to justify it to myself that he was just "being a teenager". But none of the other teens seemed to have the same bad atttitude. (I admit, none of the others have been through exactly what he's been through.) Hope he shapes up in the next book.
cee2lee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 02:07 AM   #7
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cee2lee2
You know, I felt the same about Harry and was very disappointed in his character. Kept trying to justify it to myself that he was just "being a teenager". But none of the other teens seemed to have the same bad atttitude. (I admit, none of the others have been through exactly what he's been through.) Hope he shapes up in the next book.
I felt that too.

I enjoyed the book, anyway in the hope that harry's character improves in the last books.
Old 04-08-2005, 01:07 PM   #8
Rían

Yeah, I felt that, too.

Old 04-08-2005, 05:40 PM   #9
The Wizard from Milan
Elven Warrior

Quote:
I didn't like it as much. Too much fighting, not enough of the fun relational stuff.
Neither did I, but for a different reason. I found that the Umbridge is totally unbearable and the part of Grawp was not well merged in with the rest of the book.

Quote:
So when do we find out why Dumbledore trusts Snape?
Some people expect we will find find out in this book (usually these are the people who expect Dumbledore to die in this book). I expect we'll find out in HP7 because Snape's subplot is (I think) important to the series.
The Wizard from Milan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 03:57 PM   #10
inked
Elf Lord

Quote:
Well, um, actually I read the last quarter of the third book, then the whole fourth book, then the first 3/4 of the third book ...

*runs and hides from inky's wrath*

I'll be good from now on, though!
Rian,

Check this out: http://www.hogwartsprofessor.com/hom...e=docs/phoenix

Let me know what you think.
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
Old 04-11-2005, 05:00 PM   #11
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Rian,

Hermione's dad wrote it! (Not just a dentist! )

Erm... well, Granger was the first thing I noticed.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 05:55 PM   #12
Rían

Quote:
Rian,

Interesting article, tho I think it is pulling out of the hat (to use an HP analogy) more than is actually there... I'll put up a response in the Christian themes in HP thread.

Old 04-21-2005, 09:38 AM   #13
inked
Elf Lord

Well, Rian,

Magicians are not the only people who pull things out of their hats! What specifically did you think "presto! chango!"?
Old 05-15-2005, 12:53 PM   #14
azalea
Long lost mooter

Inked: in the Sirius thread, I might have been confused, but I thought I'd ask about it here because it is perhaps the more appropriate thread.

You said "...if being in the Order of the Phoenix means what I think it does," in relation to Sirius and his ability to communicate with Harry post mortem. I read the posts to which you pointed me, but didn't find the answer. I am interested, because that phrase sounds like you have an interesting theory regarding membership in the Order.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 12:33 AM   #15
inked
Elf Lord

Azalea,

I am sure one named after so gracious and lovely and Southern a flower will forgive my inescusable tardiness in replying to this question!

I have bumped the Christian themes in HP thread and suggest that you view from post #8 onwards so that my reply makes some sort of sense. Particularly the posts dealing with Fawkes and the symbolism involved (including the rather long background notes on the phoenix itself).

It seems clear to me that the Order of the Phoenix bears a Christian symbolism on the basis of the symbolic use of the Phoenix as a Christ symbol and the word Order. In the most common usage of an order, it suggests a religious grouping (as the order of Dominicans or Franciscans, etc) primarily; though there are secular groupings using the word (Order of the Garter, for instance).

It is not much of a stretch, IMHO, to see the OoTP as a symbol of the church. It draws its members from the society in which it is, includes the greatest and least of members of that social grouping, and is forming them into something new. It requires dedication, sacrifice, and obedience. And, while the OoTP forms an obvious analogue to resistance movements in a political sense, I think it is more than that. I am looking diagonally, of course.
But, one must remember that the church has been one of the largest on-going resistance movements against the rulers of this world in both political and spiritual senses of rulers!
Old 06-01-2005, 07:49 PM   #16
azalea
Long lost mooter

Okay, thanks!
I read the Christian themes thread -- very interesting!
(Hey, just 6 weeks left!)
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 04:29 AM   #17
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

I didn't see this until now, so excuse the late response.
Quote:

And I really don't like the fact she killed Sirius - not that I particulary liked/disliked Sirius. I don't like the fact she feels oblidged to kill one of her main characters in every book, probably for the rumours that someone is going to die.
If you go to her JKR's website, you can see how she's constantly goes on about throwing in all these things that are somehow important to the overall plot of the book. For instance, there was this one character she created who seemed really interesting & funny, and whom she liked, but it didn't make sense so she had to create a different character instead. The point is, there's a reason for everything she puts in, according to her. So I daresay Grawp isn't there for nothing. (Personally I don't mind stuff that strays from the main plot because I tend to love JRK's stuff anyway)

Quote:
I felt the same way the first time I read it. The moodiness just seemed to come out of nowhere, compared to other books. I don't know why he was like that, either, except that he's growing and having to cope with a LOT. Maybe the strain of being Voldermort's arch-nemesis is taking its toll?

Btw, the next HP book is shorter than this one.
Linaewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 03:17 PM   #18
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

You said you'd PM me today... *sob* I'm deeply hurt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linaewen

If you go to her JKR's website, you can see how she's constantly goes on about throwing in all these things that are somehow important to the overall plot of the book. For instance, there was this one character she created who seemed really interesting & funny, and whom she liked, but it didn't make sense so she had to create a different character instead. The point is, there's a reason for everything she puts in, according to her. So I daresay Grawp isn't there for nothing. (Personally I don't mind stuff that strays from the main plot because I tend to love JRK's stuff anyway)
Heh, we'll see. I don't know, just thought it was boring... and pointless. I suppose she can make it.. more important in later books, but I bet she could just drop this whole part, without harming the books.

Quote:
Btw, the next HP book is shorter than this one.
Or so it's said... IIRC, they said the 5th book would be 200 pages too, and it ended up being 800. Though it's probably right this time... will be very disappointed if it has 900 pages.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 06:23 PM   #19
The Wizard from Milan
Elven Warrior

Quote:
I don't know, just thought it [Grawp] was boring... and pointless.
I totally agree; so far the Grawp storyline does not integrate well at all with the main storyline. Unless, of course, Grawp is revealed to be the Half-Blood Prince
The Wizard from Milan is offline   Reply With Quote