Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Harry Potter
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-30-2005, 07:46 PM   #1
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

HP and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Moving along - I just finished seeing the movie HP and the PofA. Definitely different from the first two! I just got back from the library with the book, which I will read to clear up some things, and the next two books.

Interesting that in E. Nesbit's story, the hippogrif was "a beautiful white horse with a long, long, white mane and a long, long, white tail, and he had great wings like swan's wings, and the softest, kindest eyes in the world, and he stood there among the roses." And in another story, the griffin is half a lion and half an eagle.

Interesting, but I got a little lost at the end, and what happened with Snape after Harry blasted him back in that shack place? He doesn't show up again in the movie, and I bet he's ticked off!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 03:48 AM   #2
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

I think he does appear again. When they are all leaving the Shrieking Shack think you see him briefly.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 03:35 PM   #3
azalea
Long lost mooter

Yes, he is outside when
Lupin turns into a werewolf. He stands in front of the kids, then the werewolf knocks him aside, and we are to assume that he recovers and returns to the building.

In the book, you'll get to see what he actually does. And you're right, he is ticked when he finds that Sirius has escaped! It was a great scene that they unfortunately didn't have time to do in the movie.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 12:43 AM   #4
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

I must admit, I liked this movie pretty well, not a s good as the book....Snape is one of my favorites, so when they cut him out of some scenes it bugged me! but overall pretty good...I need to re-read the books before the 6th one comes out in June!
Arien the Maia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 07:48 AM   #5
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

They cut that scene from the movie!? Noooooo, Snape is the best character in the movies!! Alan Rickman does an excellent job. I enjoy his acting quite a bit, he seems to be cast as the likeable villain in movies (Sherrif of Nottingham in Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, the cheating husband in Love Actually...)

Speaking of the movies, why the heck are they in Muggle clothes in all the posters and at least one of the trailers? There wasn't that much action in the summer (relative to the 4th and 5th books anyway), especially where they were all together. Don't tell me they spend the movie blatantly flogging the Hogwarts dress code!
I will try not to jump to conclusions... but it seems like the movies are going to start violating their own canon. Which is like a parallel universe to book-canon - close, but no cigar. (I've seen the first two movies. Unless I obtain a digital file of this one I doubt I'll end up seeing it.)
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 03:56 PM   #6
azalea
Long lost mooter

You should see it -- it's the best one! I can't believe you haven't seen it, and I think you should come over to my house immediately and see it. No matter that you're half a world away!

I agree -- that was a great scene in the book and AR would have done it great justice had it been included.
Old 04-06-2005, 04:43 PM   #7
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Hm... well, maybe I will...

What was the deal with the Muggle clothes though?
I was surfing around looking for the answer, and found other, more disturbing news. Apparently, Oliver Wood and Cho Chang aren't in the movie, and Gryffindor winning the Quidditch cup is cut!
Nooooo...... this implies the movie is practically Quidditch-less.
I also read that the origins of the Marauder's Map isn't explained, and Harry's Patronus only turns into a stag before the time-turning.
In happier knowledge, I read that J.K. Rowling was consulted for the movie. However, if any of the above is true it seems like she wasn't consulted very much. (I do acknowledge that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing...)

EDIT: There also seem to be a lot of mistakes... Harry's scar changes positions a few times, and apparently the Whomping Willow and Hagrid's Hut have new locations. Bwaa?
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:

Last edited by Nurvingiel : 04-06-2005 at 04:51 PM.
Old 04-06-2005, 04:50 PM   #8
inked
Elf Lord

Now, Nurv, you know the movie is a different venue or genre than the book!!!
You have been through the Tolkien process. Just accept it for the screenplay!

(but they better get ALL of Narnia correct!!!)

I thought the HP movies were well done as movies within the constraints of the medium and time they had.

BOOKS RULE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 04:54 PM   #9
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by inked
Now, Nurv, you know the movie is a different venue or genre than the book!!!
You have been through the Tolkien process. Just accept it for the screenplay!
lol! That's exactly why I have my doubts! That, and the less-than-stellar first two movies (IMO), however, this one does have a different director...

Quote:
(but they better get ALL of Narnia correct!!!)
And until I hear that this is true, I am definitely not going to see them. Best not inflict another raging book-rant on my family and friends.

Quote:
I thought the HP movies were well done as movies within the constraints of the medium and time they had.

BOOKS RULE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
*handwaggles* Meh. There seem to be issues with the third movie. I admit the whole Time-turner thing is very confusing, but if I was making a movie about it you bet I'd figure it out.

I second your BOOKS RULE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote:
Old 04-11-2005, 07:37 AM   #10
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

I just watched Prisoner O.A. again, I taped it from PPV a few months ago. I think it's very good and very close to the book; as much as can be expected anyway. I've already pre-ordered the 6th book from B&N as I've read them all via the library and decided to purchase my own (precious) this time. As for Alan Rickman, he's great in "Galaxy Quest" as the Spock character. Rent it if you get a chance.
Old 04-11-2005, 11:47 AM   #11
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

he is GREAT in Galaxy Quest! That is one SILLY movie!!

BTW, did the actor who played Dumbledore change in this movie?

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 04-11-2005, 12:28 PM   #12
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by R*an
BTW, did the actor who played Dumbledore change in this movie?
Yes, Richard Harris who first played the role, past on.
Michael Gambon plays Dumbledore now. Look for him in the next two movies:
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (2006) and
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (2005)
Old 04-11-2005, 04:27 PM   #13
Rían

rats - I really liked the Dumbledore in the first two movies

Old 04-11-2005, 04:58 PM   #14
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Richard Harris was awesome. He also played King Arthur in Camelot (1982) and Marcus Aurelius in Gladiator (2002). He was irreplaceably brilliant as Dumbledore, but I'm sure the new guy will be fine. (I mean, I don't expect him to play Dumbledore like Richard Harris did, but I'm sure he'll do a great job in his own style.)
Quote:

Last edited by Nurvingiel : 05-13-2005 at 04:34 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-18-2005, 09:02 PM   #15
Rían

oh, yeah - I had forgotten what roles Richard Harris did. I sure miss him as Dumbledore I really liked the voice he did for Dumbledore.

Old 04-21-2005, 10:03 AM   #16
inked
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by R*an
Moving along - I just finished seeing the movie HP and the PofA. Definitely different from the first two! I just got back from the library with the book, which I will read to clear up some things, and the next two books.

Interesting that in E. Nesbit's story, the hippogrif was "a beautiful white horse with a long, long, white mane and a long, long, white tail, and he had great wings like swan's wings, and the softest, kindest eyes in the world, and he stood there among the roses." And in another story, the griffin is half a lion and half an eagle.

Interesting, but I got a little lost at the end, and what happened with Snape after Harry blasted him back in that shack place? He doesn't show up again in the movie, and I bet he's ticked off!
So, Rian, did stuff get cleared up?

And given that authors are allowed to modify traditions in their usages, do you find the hippogriff more accurate to the traditon in Nesbit or Rowling usage? Personally, based on your quotation, I would think that Nesbit was describing Pegasus and not a hippogriff. The griffin, too, has traditional precedents to which Rowling is obviously harking.
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
Old 05-13-2005, 04:38 PM   #17
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

You know what I don't get about PoA... why was Hermione allowed to have the Time Turner? This question is probably best debated in bookverse.

Dumbledore seems very careful with powerful artifacts, and uses them only reluctantly, for example, the Philosopher's Stone. Why would he let Hermione have a device with which you can travel through time, just so she can take two extra classes?

People noticed she was in two places at once after a while - that's not something you let slide, especially if you're a wizard. Plus, in the end she dropped Muggle Studies and Divination. I would have just made her choose in the first place, like all the other students.

The Time Turner needed to be introduced somehow so Harry, Hermione, and Ron could save Buckbeak and stuff, but it just doesn't seem to add up with the rest of Dumbledore's decisions.

Thoughts?
Quote:
Old 05-13-2005, 05:37 PM   #18
inked
Elf Lord

Nurv,

You are a bit off about Dumbledore. After all, Nicolas and his wife had been using the Philosopher's Stone to remain alive for quite some time. Dumbledore's and the Flamel's attitude towards the Stone were specifically affected by the probability that Voldemort would steal it for the effects without having achieved the work himself. And D is awefully casual about devices when he lets Harry into his office on more than one occasion.

The Time-Turner wasn't approved solely by D, either. It was obtained by special "license" from the MoM, IIRC. Took lots of forms and papers. Prof. Mac had to agree too.

And, don't you think that JKR may be writing an ironic description of people who constantly try to do too much. I think that is the lesson Hermione learned and why she gave up the Time Turner. Human limitations are exactly that. They may occasionally be transcended by hard work or grace, but no one should expect to do always what they are sometimes capable of doing.
It is a very common trap to fall into, actually. Super-man and Super-woman, Super-dad and super-mom, super-forestry student and really hot date, you get the picture !
Old 05-13-2005, 09:06 PM   #19
azalea
Long lost mooter

I also think that "why" might be that they know what a dedicated student Hermione is and how well she follows the rules (as long as she isn't led astray by those two naughty boys! ). IOW, she is trustworthy, and they know that. They made her promise to keep it secret and follow the rules concerning its use (and wasn't there some kind of charm on it as well?), and since they trust her, they allowed it.

Secondly, Dumbledore trusts McGonagall's decision to allow its use, and D'dore isn't one to micromanage (an understatement!).

He has demonstrated his uncanny ability to trust in other relationships, as we know.
Old 05-13-2005, 09:39 PM   #20
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Makes sense to me.