Old 01-19-2005, 08:11 AM   #42
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by me9996
Fine, but the athor is wrong!

P.S.
There is a kqelrihg0873ls% behind you
How can the author be wrong? Did you read that long post by Nurvingiel? #35.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 10:18 AM   #43
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Thank you Radagast. Clearly you did read the post, since it's quoted above your reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by me9996
Fine, but the athor is wrong!

P.S.
There is a kqelrihg0873ls% behind you
I think you deserve to be answered seriously, but I'm not quite sure why I'm bothering at this point. You seem utterly convinced you're right for reasons you have not yet revealed.

I'm not going to make fun of you or anything, but why is it you're so sure you are right?

The reason I'm sure that I'm right is this:

J.K Rowling has written a servies of fantasy novels. In Fanatasy, you are creating a new world. Often, so the world makes sense, authors base their new fantasy world on the "real world", or on the physics of the "real world".

For example, Rowling's books are based on the real world, and Herbert's Dune series is based on the physics of the real world (but not the world itself).

Calling male magic users wizards and female magic users witches is not wrong, because they exist in her world. JK Rowling is not wrong about the world she created. The names are hers to decide. Unless you have some extraordinarily clever argument stashed away somewhere, you are not correct. End of story.

*hands Me9996 a small bag*
Here are the tiny pieces of your argument I just crushed.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ

Last edited by Nurvingiel : 01-19-2005 at 10:19 AM.
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 01:39 PM   #44
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

*leans back slightly as the power of the argument washes over him*

Wow...

Just...

Wow....

O_o
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 02:03 PM   #45
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
*hands Me9996 a small bag*
Here are the tiny pieces of your argument I just crushed.
*Hands Nurv a small pieces.
Hey Nurv. You dropped a bit!
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 07:44 AM   #46
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Aw, gee you guys, you're too much!

Heh, feel free to PM me anytime for other language questions Me9996. Telcontar can tell you, it's one of my specialities.
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Old 01-20-2005, 05:54 PM   #47
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

One of many!
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 03:09 PM   #48
me9996
Ring-smith

Location: Either walking across Rohan or riding through Fangorn forest
Quote:
Aw, gee you guys, you're too much!

Heh, feel free to PM me anytime for other language questions Me9996. Telcontar can tell you, it's one of my specialities.
Yes it seems I'm bad with sinninimes, sinanims, words that mean the same thing.

P.S.
Thanks for handing me back the argument shards
Has no authority whatsoever
Master of messing up
Master of spoiler tags

Thread killer
Ring smith

Merry Christmas!
They'd never say that (Part 2)

What happened to the dragon?
me9996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 06:02 PM   #49
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Anytime pal.

(The word you're looking for is synonyms. )
Quote:
Old 01-26-2005, 11:04 PM   #50
Master'sBaneSwiftSnowmane
Elven Warrior

Ummm...not to be any kind of party pooper and not to start an argument agian, but I have something to Me's first post (About Harry being a warlock).

But first I have a question, why has no one mentioned a hag? (I was just wondering)

In the POA (english edition) in the very beginning of the chapter The Leaky Cauldron Harry see's "Funny little witches", "Venerable looking wizards", "Wild-looking warlocks", and "Once what looked suspiciously like a hag". (dwarfs are mentioned too...but as that has nothing to do with anything..."

JKR definently makes a distinction between Witches, Wizards, Warlocks, and Hags.(and Harry is also refered to or calls himself a wizard, which means that he is not a Warlock) Witches and Wizards are most defiantly the masculine and feminine forms of someone who does magic, that has already been decided. What I would like to know, is how are Warlocks different form Wizards? The Hag ordered raw liver in the book so I'm asuming that that's how they're different from witches. But is that really it? I don't think JKR has ever cleared this up...maybe I just havn't read enough fantasy.
Master'sBaneSwiftSnowmane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 11:18 PM   #51
Embladyne
Honourary Elitist Inklette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master'sBaneSwiftSnowmane
Ummm...not to be any kind of party pooper and not to start an argument agian, but I have something to Me's first post (About Harry being a warlock).
Oh, but the moot is about arguments!! (go to the welcome thread and introduce yourself...please )
And you're not a party pooper...actually, you're getting this thread back on track. The question you raise is actually pretty interesting. I only remember all the different names for magic users being mentioned in the context of the leaky Cauldron....if there are more, please do quote them...
In my opinion, I assumed it had to do more with the personalities of the individuals than with their actual magical abilities....what are you thinking?

My DA page
Embladyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 11:27 PM   #52
Master'sBaneSwiftSnowmane
Elven Warrior

Well...if it were the personalities then a female human child (asuming that hags are women and that they are not human...) who likes to eat raw liver would be called a hag, right? That doesn't sound like a very good system so...perhaps it's more of a species thing. Warlocks and Hags just being more closely related to Witches and Wizards than say...Centaurs or Dwarfs (or Goblins or Elves or Leprechauns). Don't know...maybe we should ask JKR, though I don't know how to go about doing that, or if she would even answer. What do the rest of you guys think (about the question...not the JKR thing).
Master'sBaneSwiftSnowmane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 12:37 PM   #53
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

I think that using the different names is to paint a picture--it did for me any ways.

I mean saying that there are warlocks, witches, old wizards, hags, gnomes, dwarves, and little goblins running around is much more interesting and 'fantastic' than "Harry entered the room. There were lots of different Wizards and Witches."

JKR seems to write as if she were trying to paint a Fairy Tale, so to me it makes sense that she occasionally throws things in that don't make sense--I think in a lot of ways it's a nonsense story, and I like it that way .
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 07:15 AM   #54
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

I imagine that Dwarves are another race, like Goblins, and that warlocks and hags are unclarified subsets of wizards and witches. But as JKR didn't go into detail there one could make other arguments.

Interesting point MBSS.
Quote:
Old 02-10-2005, 11:17 AM   #55
Pytt
The Supreme Lord of The Northern Eagles

Quote:
I imagine that Dwarves are another race, like Goblins, and that warlocks and hags are unclarified subsets of wizards and witches. But as JKR didn't go into detail there one could make other arguments.

Interesting point MBSS.
Yeah, I agree with you. maybe they can use magic, but they are not human, like I picture Witches and Wizards.