Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Harry Potter
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-09-2004, 01:56 PM   #1
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

Felix Felicis

Right, so we have a new name added to the mystery that is Book 6. Any ideas on who this person is? Do you think it's even a person? Discuss your ideas and speculations here.

(For all of you that's interested in the meaning behind JK's names, 'Felix Felicis' roughly translates from Latin into English as lucky, fortunate, happy. )
"It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Lalaith_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 02:02 PM   #2
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Maybe he's the new DADA teacher, or maybe a protection spell. More advanced that 'Protego'?
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 02:46 PM   #3
sirigorn
Elven Warrior

I kinda have the feeling it's not a person. Someone said it sounds like a spell, and I agree. Can't think that there would be a chapter named after something that sounds like it should be a Cheering Charm though.

I like the shield charm idea... that would make sense. I guess it could be kinda like Expecto Patronum, where you have to think happy thoughts to make it. I get that from the name.
-Two Towers extended DVD

I'm wearing black for Black.

Well, then, I confess, it is my intention to commandeer one of these ships, pick up a crew in Tortuga, raid, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weasely black guts out!~Captain Jack Sparrow, Pirates of the Caribbean
sirigorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 04:13 PM   #4
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Well the Latin meaning kind of make me think protection, but I don't know?
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 06:58 PM   #5
sun-star
Lady of Letters

I think the character name is "Felix" and "Felicis" is something else, maybe a spell - so that's it's like the pun in OOTP, "Dudley Demented" (which is a play on Dementor). This chapter title seems to follow the same pattern.
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 07:02 PM   #6
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Felix felicis could be the spell name too, if it is a spell. Spells often have two parts (eg. Wingardium leviosa), and felix is also a latin word:

felix -icis [fruitful , fertile]. Transf., [of good omen, favorable, bringing good luck; fortunate, lucky, successful]; Felix, [the Lucky One, surname of Sulla]. Adv. feliciter, [fruitfully; auspiciously, favorably; luckily, successfully].

Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 02:24 AM   #7
Forkbeard
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
Felix felicis could be the spell name too, if it is a spell. Spells often have two parts (eg. Wingardium leviosa), and felix is also a latin word:

felix -icis [fruitful , fertile]. Transf., [of good omen, favorable, bringing good luck; fortunate, lucky, successful]; Felix, [the Lucky One, surname of Sulla]. Adv. feliciter, [fruitfully; auspiciously, favorably; luckily, successfully].

Felix is the nominative form, felicis is the genitive; so something like Happy of the happy (or lucky, or fortunate, successful etc)...it does sound like a charm though rather than a character. Most of Rowlings names do mean something, but most are not Latinate....Severus Snape...for example. Severus is, but Snape isn't.

FB
Forkbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 05:51 AM   #8
Minielin
Elven Warrior

It also sounds like it could be a scientific name for a plant or animal (most likely a plant), but my best guess is the spell.
In dark green ivy, and among wild larches?"

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum.
Minielin is offline   Reply With Quote