Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-20-2005, 08:55 AM   #61
Lenya
Elentári

If you write a stunning fantasy with good foundations, where everything is connected and everyone loves it, you'll have to live with the fact that your idees will get stolen. Like Wayfarer said, it's all connected.
Lenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 08:10 AM   #62
Beren3000
Fëanorophobic

An obvious Lotr copy-cat is Book 1 of The Wheel of Time for the following reasons:

-The whole sleepy, insulated village motif
-A stranger coming to the village to sweep the heroes off their feet
-Nazgul/ Myrddraal
-For those of you conspiracy theorists out there: Merry and Pippin / Mat and Perrin
Beren3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 12:11 PM   #63
Pytt
The Supreme Lord of The Northern Eagles

Yeah, when thinking about it, I've come across more things from Lotr and Tolkien in the WoT books, though I don't remember them now. But I suppose, you can't read a book like that and then write a in some ways similar book, without taking abit from Tolkien.
Old 03-23-2005, 03:37 PM   #64
Lenya
Elentári

Yip, totally agree. I have also seen some striking resemblenses in the to and can unfortunately not think of any at the moment but I remember something about a few names on the map that bothered me.
Old 03-23-2005, 06:34 PM   #65
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minielin
Meaning no fiction can possibly be wholly original or without strong influences of past works? I'd agree with that... I can't think of a case that's otherwise, really.
Yep.

It may be a cynical stance to take, but I'm really of the opinion that it's humanly impossible to create something original. One fiction is inspired by another fiction, which is inspired by a third, which is inspired by yet another, and so on down the line until somewhere in the depths of time someone was inspired to tell that first fiction, based on real events (which may or may not become twisted in the retelling).

Humanity has the limited ability to discover new things, and to that degree new story-concepts come along every so often, but even relatively new (to the common perception) ideas such as the Engine or the Computer are already going through their nth iteration.

There really is nothing new under the sun.
Old 03-23-2005, 06:40 PM   #66
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Which begs the question... who wrote the first original work?

(I do agree with you guys though. )
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 06:45 PM   #67
me9996
Ring-smith

Location: Either walking across Rohan or riding through Fangorn forest
Strider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elemm*rë
Gandalf and Obi-wan Kenobi...

There are a lot, many more I can't think of right now, but you can't always put it down to copy-cats. Some of these things are simply recurrent themes that not even Tolkien created, and I'm not about to accuse him of copying from Norse mythology or Christian theology...
Saruman and Count duku?
Luke skywalker and Aragorn?
Merry and Twedledee?
Has no authority whatsoever
Master of messing up
Master of spoiler tags

Thread killer
Ring smith

Merry Christmas!
They'd never say that (Part 2)

What happened to the dragon?
me9996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 04:30 PM   #68
Lenya
Elentári

Quote:
Originally Posted by me9996
Merry and Twedledee?
love that. (though it is an insult to all Merry fans)
Old 04-26-2005, 06:37 AM   #69
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

*bump*

That's a good point about languages Pytt. The history and languages of Middle-earth really do make it seem like its own world. That's actually why I didn't think of it as an alternate history for the longest time.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 01:27 PM   #70
Thehoundsofdeath
Sapling

"Oz" was published in 1900

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalianLegolas View Post
Okay, in school my class had to watch "The Wizard of Oz", and me and my fellow LoTR nerds noticed some very obvious very much alike/stolen portions of the movie that were very much like the LoTR books! One such example is the "object of power", in the Wizard of Oz, the ruby slippers, in LoTR, the ring. Another one, would be a a huge gate where all the witches minions(which are orc look-alikes) march through, you guessed it, an enormous BLACK GATE, very much like the one that is the entrance to Mordor! My final such copy-cat is the appearance of short people, in the Wizard of Oz, the munchkins, in LoTR, the Hobbits!

I guess my point is, has anyone else noticed such LoTR look-alikes, or am i the only one?
Rather late in the thread to point this out, but the film of "The Wizard Of Oz" was originally a book that was written in 1900, so could not have been influenced by Tolkien, who did not publish anything until many decades later.
Thehoundsofdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 09:39 AM   #71
Lefty Scaevola
AngAdan

Even the 1939 movie (which made the Muchkins small people, which they were not in the liturature) predated the the publication of LoTR, and the screen play was largely written before the Hobbit was released.
"Mighty are the Ainur, and mightiest among them is Melkor, but that he may know, and all the Ainur, that I am Iluvatar, those things that ye have sung, I will show them forth, ... And thou, Melkor, shalt see that no theme may be played that hath not its uttermost source in me,"

Last edited by Lefty Scaevola : 01-07-2008 at 09:43 AM.
Lefty Scaevola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 02:06 PM   #72
me9996
Ring-smith

Location: Either walking across Rohan or riding through Fangorn forest
Strider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenya View Post
love that. (though it is an insult to all Merry fans)
Well if Merry is Tweedledee, then who is Pippin?

And one thing about the so called "Orc look-alikes" I don't think Tolkien ever discribes the orcs as being green.

In the "Wizard of Oz" movie the minions are closer (In apearence) to Russian revolutionaries than orcs!

And... They're happy when the Witch is dead, unlike the orcs who become somewhat aimless.
Has no authority whatsoever
Master of messing up
Master of spoiler tags

Thread killer
Ring smith

Merry Christmas!
They'd never say that (Part 2)

What happened to the dragon?
me9996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 02:11 PM   #73
Curubethion
Fenway Ranger, Lord of Red Sox Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by me9996 View Post
Saruman and Count duku?
Er...I rather blame that one on Christopher Lee.
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)
Curubethion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 09:08 AM   #74
Jon S.
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khamûl View Post
And The Sword of Shannara is the most blatant rip-off of Tolkien I've ever read. It's also the only book by Terry Brooks I've ever read.
The SoS was basically the vehicle Brooks used to learn the craft of writing. It is very definitely a blatant LOTR ripoff and by far, in my view, his least satisfying effort. For SoS is to Brooks as Meet the Beatles was to the Fab 4. You really should give Brooks another chance.

As for the general thrust of this thread, I would quote Steppenwolf:

Quote:
Just before we go, I'd like to mention Junior Wells
We stole his thing from him, and he from someone else
Or if you prefer Ecclesiastes:

Quote:
9 What has been is what will be,
and what has been done is what will be done;
there is nothing new under the sun.
10 Is there a thing of which it is said,
"See, this is new"?
It has already been,
in the ages before us.
Jon S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 01:27 PM   #75
Morwen
Hobbit

People have probably already said this, but POTTER.
I mean, Voldemorts massive cave-lake thing? Moria.
The Dark Lord? THE DARK LORD.
Dementors? Black Riders.
Dumbledore? Gandalf.
Harry's scar "getting heavier when the enemy is near"? THE RING.
Harry's sidekicks? Frodo's sidekicks.
Need I say more?
Morwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 06:24 PM   #76
Midge
Faithful Gardener

i did notice that in some of them. Particularly the dementors and the Nazgul - the dementors in the book were described as looking EXACTLY the way Peter Jackson had the Nazgul looking, if only de-cartoonified.
Psalm 56:11

"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothin' but the rain, sir!"
"Then grab your gun and bring in the cat."

Make sure to check out the C.S. Lewis forum. Game threads, movie and book discussions and more!

Midge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:52 PM   #77
Wilhelm
Elven Warrior

I don't want to call anyone a copycat as we all build our own ideas on the ideas that came before us. I prefer to think of this thread as a place to identify similar themes...

That said, I do note that there are some notable similarities between Gurthang and Stormbringer (A cursed black sword wielded by an antihero, Elric of Melniboné, in several Micheal Moorcock books). Stormbringer ends up killing everyone close to Elric. There are many more similarities which I won't go in to here.

The weird part is that Moorcock was certainly not out to copy JRR as the first novel with Stormbringer in it was published in 1963. The Silmarillion was released in 1977. I don't believe Tolkien copied Moorcock either.

Ultimately, I believe both authors took their inspiration (directly or indirectly) from an old Finnish tale (Kullervo).
Old 08-12-2010, 12:31 AM   #78
EllethValatari
Elven Warrior

(hello, everyone! I'm sorry to have missed most of this debate-I was traveling through Italy for a couple weeks and internet was scarce )

So, we've taken a specific thought and made it general, and the main question now is, "are fictional stories really copycats of each other?" (correct me if I'm reading completely outside the lines)

As I've written about in numerous essays, I think fiction is so well-liked because it reflects reality, without being real. It illustrates the rights and wrongs of our world by putting them in a different light: when we step into someone else's shoes what we originally saw ends up looking much different. The differentiating element in fictional stories is what specific idea, problem, etc. the story is illustrating. On the other hand, they all seem to be copycatting each other because they are all "copycatting" the same thing. There is such a place as hell ruled by Satan, and fictional stories reflect hell in their own way...Harry Potter has the huge cave-like structure controlled by Voldemort, LotR has Moria ruled by Sauron. In this way, HP isn't copycatting LotR-and the same applies to most other examples.
"We have come from God, and inevitably the myths woven by us, though they contain error, will also reflect a splintered fragment of the true light, the eternal truth that is with God. Our myths may be misguided, but they steer however shakily towards the true harbour, while materialistic 'progress' leads only to a yawning abyss and the Iron Crown of the power of evil."
— J.R.R. Tolkien

Last edited by EllethValatari : 08-14-2010 at 04:16 PM.
EllethValatari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 06:45 AM   #79
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhelm View Post
Ultimately, I believe both authors took their inspiration (directly or indirectly) from an old Finnish tale (Kullervo).
I am unfamiliar with the Kullervo tale (the Kalevala is on my to-read-list), but I am fairly convinced that Tolkien modelled Gurthang on Tyrfing, the cursed sword central in the Hervarar saga. Interestingly enough the saga also includes a shieldmaiden.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:36 AM   #80
Wilhelm
Elven Warrior

Hi Eärniel,

Kullervo is a character in Kalevala whose situation closely parallels Turin's (accidental incestuous relationships, a sword that agrees to take it's wielder's life, the sister throwing herself into a gorge/river...)

Tryfing is certainly a possible source as well.

Last edited by Wilhelm : 08-12-2010 at 09:30 AM.
Wilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote