FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-27-2003, 09:29 PM   #1
SonOfSamWise
Hobbit

The Shadow on Boromir

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Boromir was ostentatious.

Although this potential Steward of Gondor enjoyed a wise and valiant lineage, when he arrived in Imaldris, he bore only the gilded trappings of majesty and nobility.

Every thread of his desire and will had been looted and inseminated by the will and desire of Sauron.

He was moved to Rivendale by the Lord of the Ring.

Boromir was the son of Denethor, a man who cloyed his mind on the dark knowledge he found in a Palantir.

Because of this, Denethor was an apprentice Witch-King and aspiring wraith.

Because he was in possession of a Palantir, Sauron was in the heart of the Palantiri.

Galdalf knew the Palantiri could be perilous because all were not accounted for.
Saruman communicated with Sauron through the Palantir.
The spirit of Pippin was soiled by simply handling a Palantir.

"The west has failed," cried Denethor, before throwing himself on his pyre.

Because Boromir had been inoculated by his father's dark knowledge and pessimism, (a growing pessimism that was probably passed to Denethor) the shadow of Sauron clouded and turned his heart.

Thus, Boromir's pessimism, avarice and desire to wield an evil ring of power.

Boromir’s spirit was weakened by Denethor's dark knowledge.

Thus, he was the only one in the fellowship who succumbed to the temptation of the ring.

Boromir's death foreshadowed the death of evil and the abdication of weakness found in the hearts of men.

Faramir, and his yoking to the stately Eowyn, symbolizes man's ascent back to nobility and back into the light.

Eowyn’s groaning maturity also symbolizes man’s ascent to light.

Similarly, Aragorn symbolizes the noble and humble
(faltering at first, then growing in strength, courage and resolve)
struggle of the human spirit as it reaches for the Elves of a higher call.

Thus, his yoking to Arwen Undomiel, Elf of the Evening Star.
Men are to assume the scepter of the Elves.

But who can surpass the heroic nobility and Elvish nature of Samwise, son of Hamfast, and Frodo, Son of Drogo?

"Heroes are not born, they are cornered."
SonOfSamWise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 10:32 PM   #2
SonOfSamWise
Hobbit

Denethor II despised Thorongil’s (i.e. Aragorn) warnings to Denethor’s father, Ecthellion II, about the trustworthiness of Saruman. (Appendix A)

Mind you, Denethor was merely the son of the Steward.
Perhaps Denethor II was toying with the Palantir unbeknownst to his father.
Did Denethor II carry the shadow into his Stewardship?

Is it possible that Denethor II had fallen under the spell of Sauron even before he became Steward of Gondor?

Additionally, by nominating Boromir for the Fellowship, and Boromir’s desire and subsequent attempt to return the ‘one ring’ to Gondor where the Steward would attempt to wield it, Denethor took measures to posses a ring of power that may have turned him into a wraith.

Here are other examplesof how Boromir and Denethor may have embarked on the road to perdition.

Boromir, at the expense of wisdom, took delight in arms and valor in the same manner as Earnur, Captain of Gondor. (LotR, The Council of Elrond and Appendix A).

After Earnur became the childless King of Gondor, he was enticed by, and subsequently captured by the Witch-King – foremost Ringwraith
Earnur’s death could not be confirmed.

Because of the possibility that he may still be alive, Earnur could be like the messenger (the Lieutenant of the Tower of Barad-dur ) who strove with Aragorn and Gandalf at the gates of Cirith Gorgor. (The Black Gate Opens.)

The last King of Gondor may have become an ambassador to Sauron.

Heirless, Earnur’s disappearance gave rise to the Stewards of Gondor.
If the Witch King (a mere slave to Sauron) could entice the King of Gondor into perdition, how much more powerful would the allure of Sauron himself, through the focused and magnified lens of a Palantir, be over a simple Steward of Gondor, Denethor II?

For both Denethor and Boromir, the road to slavery was paved with good intentions.

Elrond, to Boromir, "The very desire of [the ring] corrupts the heart." (The Council of Elrond)
Old 01-28-2003, 01:04 AM   #3
Keith K
Elf Lord

Gosh! I had no idea that Boromir had sunk so low even before he arrived in Rivendell. IMO Boromirs' corruption occured after he was actually exposed to the ring. Still your musings are interesting. I had never really considered Denethor's influence on Boromirs' weakness. Are you a Psychology major SonOfSamWise? Freud would have loved your post lol.
BTW, welcome to the moot!
Keith K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 01:02 PM   #4
Finmandos12
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Because of the possibility that he may still be alive, Earnur could be like the messenger (the Lieutenant of the Tower of Barad-dur ) who strove with Aragorn and Gandalf at the gates of Cirith Gorgor. (The Black Gate Opens.)

The last King of Gondor may have become an ambassador to Sauron.
Impossible. Earnur was a mortal, and could not live that long.
Old 01-28-2003, 01:22 PM   #5
congressmn
Incharge: neighbourhood security

But where does it say that Boromir had so deeply corrupted before making the long journey?

Is this merely interpretation or fact?

All that is mentioned is that he simply coudn't resist the ring. Thats it.

I would really be grateful if you could direct me to the facts related to this.
Old 01-28-2003, 09:52 PM   #6
SonOfSamWise
Hobbit

Boromir’s entire will and desire was in the grasp of the shadow, probably for most of his life.

Indeed, even his little brother Faramir struggled continuously and feverishly against the relentless influence of the shadow.

His indomitable spirit cast the noble Faramir into the lukewarm favor of his father, Denethor II.

I don’t have my book with me now, but when the gallant Faramir was recovering in the Houses of Healing, Aragorn wondered how a superficial wound could wreak such havoc on the spirit of this brave warrior, scholar and statesman.

Mithrandir tended to this wonder by explaining that the assault on the very fabric of the worthy Faramir’s existence had actually begun long ago.

As if trapped on a precipice on the edge of spiritual outskirts, the gracious Faramir grappled valiantly and alone with the insidious and unseen forces of a shadow that sought to gain the same mastery over him as it had over his brother and father.

Gandalf referred to this theater of spiritual warfare as Faramir’s “outpost.”

Faramir was alone, as Frodo was alone.
Faramir was afflicted by a spiritual Morgol blade.

The shadow was etching inroads into the soul of even this strong and noble Captain.

With the hearty Faramir weak and wounded, the shadow quickened its pace toward death.

The “quality” of Faramir’s character was his only real defense.
Frail and impaired, this defense was falling.

The death of Theoden and Denethor gives rise to a new breed of men who will witness the twilight of a free Middle-Earth.
This descent into twilight is comforted by the sacrifice of the Lady Evenstar.

Regarding facts, a myth is of symbolic (as opposed to factual) meaning.
These are musings of stories my dad told me long, long ago.

P.S. No, I am not a shrink, but thank you for your welcome.

Last edited by SonOfSamWise : 01-29-2003 at 12:09 AM.
Old 01-28-2003, 10:02 PM   #7
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Boromir was a desperate man......'nuff said.

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 11:42 AM   #8
SonOfSamWise
Hobbit

Faramir's Outpost

To correct my last post, it is Aragorn the Healer (not Gandalf) who explains the longstanding nature and depth of Faramir's affliction.

Indeed, The Healer had to enter the dark realm of a nether world to retrieve the fading Faramir.

Upon return, the worst was over before the use of Kings Foil.

Old 02-02-2003, 02:43 PM   #9
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by SonOfSamWise
Mind you, Denethor was merely the son of the Steward.
Perhaps Denethor II was toying with the Palantir unbeknownst to his father.
Did Denethor II carry the shadow into his Stewardship?

Is it possible that Denethor II had fallen under the spell of Sauron even before he became Steward of Gondor?
I highly doubt it. I seem to remember that Gandalf described Denethor as a wise man who only looked in the Palantir late in life. Denethor was proud, yes. He wished that the Stewards could take over the office of Kings, since they already held it in all but name. But he knew his people would not accept it. He was not evil, nor already under the direct influence of Sauron. Only in the last years when the darkness of Mordor grew and the war drew near did Denethor fall into folly and looked into the palantir. Sauron didn't control his mind but he fed them little tidbits of knowledge that made Denethor despair. The death of Boromir and the prospect of losing his last son and office pushed him over the edge.

Boromir was much like his father in pride. But I don't think he already carried a shadow with him at the time of the councel. Given time I would suspect that the other members would also fall under its spell.
Old 02-05-2006, 11:07 PM   #10
SonOfSamWise
Hobbit

Beregond’s Confederacy

Beregond’s Confederacy

“The Lord of the City, Beregond, has fallen before his city is taken,” said Pippin. “He is fey and dangerous.” Quickly he told of Denethor’s strange words and deeds. “I must find Gandalf at once.”
“Then you must go down to the battle.”
“I know, the Lord has given me leave. But, Beregond, if you can, do something to stop any dreadful thing happening.”
“The Lord does not permit those who wear the black and silver to leave their post for any cause, save at his own command.”
“Well, you must choose between orders and the life of Faramir,” said Pippin. “And as for orders, I think you have a madman to deal with, not a lord. I must run. I will return if I can.”

Beregond, sensing the urgency, and stirred by winds and shadow, gazed up toward the gate of Fen Hollen and, leaving his post, decided he would see what was amiss.
As he approached the gatehouse of Rath Dinen, he came upon his kindred and door porter, Sedimarch, comrade, confidant and lifelong friend. Sedimarch straightened as he perused Beregond’s hasty approach. Ambivalent wonder rose in his mind. A brief shudder shot through him as he stepped before the Closed Door.
“Beregond, what are you about,” said Sedimarch, “Why hast thou abandoned thy post?”

“Sedimarch, my brother,” said Beregond, “the life of the Lord Faramir hangs in the balance, in the hands of a mind that has been taken by the shadow.”

“What strange tidings are these brother Beregond,” said Sedimarch, “and upon what wings have they hither been bourne?”

“The tidings come from Perrigrin, son of Pallidin, anointed guard of the citadel who is presently summoning Mithrandir,” said Beregond. “He has witnessed this thrust of the shadow, like an invisible spear in our midst. The spirit of the dark lord works an evil as we speak, turning a father into the slayer of his son.”

“You would abandon your post, posing a challenge to guards of the citadel on the word of an upstart halfling,” queried Sedimarch. “How can you be sure that the words of the halfling are not the very spell of the dark lord that you claim is at work in our hearts?

“Sedimarch, please hear me,” implored Beregond. “Does not your heart bear witness to my claim? Why has the lord Denethor drawn those who still live into the bleak and cold corridors of the dead? Open the door and let me pass, and aid me in the rescue of Faramir if you will.”

Pensive lines of discernment creased the brow of Sedimarch. Veiled and reticent wisps of dark musings vexed his troubled mind.
“I cannot honor such feverish counsel, Beregond, son of Baranor,” said Sedimarch. “It would take more than the ominous claim of a courteous Hobbit to make me abandon my duty and post.” He stepped back and gripping the hilt of his sword, declared, “Unless I receive counsel on greater authority, Beregond, you shall not pass.”

“By my life or by my death,” said Beregond, with steadfast determination, “I shall hinder the evil work now stirring in the heart of our citadel. Even if it is my last blow, I shall rent the divisive shadow that now hangs all about us, sapping like a leach the resolve of our noble people. I will save the life of my Captain, the Lord Faramir.”

Beregond paused, changing the tone of his appeal.

“Sedimarch, my brother” said Beregond, beseeching the leave of his kinsman, “we stood as proud ring bearers at each other’s weddings and drank to our long life and health. We have stood as Valinorian Sires in the washing of our gallant sons. In less than a season both boys are to bow before the dais to celebrate their noble confirmation. Shall one of these little men bow fatherless in bitter lamentation – an orphan wrought by the hand of one who was his father’s lifelong friend?”

Sedimarch trembled, then, quickly bore up steadfast. His heart was being invisibly rent by the stinging lacerations of confusion.

Beregond continued.
“As children we have raced on the Pelennor, and as soldiers trained in the courtyards. We have long been inspired by the splendor of our majestic White City where the loyalty of our hearts lie within. Countless times have we drawn swords together, cleansing our lands of hideous orcs. Our wives are childhood companions: each the other’s midwife and handmaiden: familial counselors, colleagues and friends. Ellenor a steward in the ministry of Lore Masters. Myrna now a warden in the Houses of Healing. Sedimarch, for the last time, I implore you my brother, in the name of the life of our Captain and Lord Faramir, you must allow me to pass.”

Sedimarch stood like a statue, drawing his sword.
“Beregond,” he said, “my intentions and duty are clear. You shall not pass. Pause for a moment, my brother and temper your resolve. You say the Grey Wanderer has thus been summoned. Let us then wait upon him here.”

“There is not time,” thundered Beregond. “Mithrandir may not be able to respond before the Lord Faramir is cast into peril.”

Beregond drew high his ringing sword and it glinted in the flickering torchlight. In an attempt to avoid the shedding of blood, Beregond struck Sedimarch on he helmet with the hilt of his sword, hoping to rattle him just enough to divest him of the key.
But Sedimarch was quick, and turning his head, was able to avoid the full thrust of the blow. Sedimarch stumbled and raised his sword to strike, but Beregond, earnest in his resolve to save Faramir, drew back and plunged forth, thrusting his sword through the heart of his kinsman. There they paused for a moment, Sedimarch’s eyes filled with astonished anguish, Beregond, trembling as tears streamed down is face.
“Forgive me, your brother,” stammered Beregond. “You pass with noble honor my kinsman. If I have not erred and my fate is the same, I will meet you in the halls of our fathers.”

Divesting Sedimarch’s dying body of the key to the Closed Door, Beregond passed through and approached a second guard.

“Aldamir,” he cried loudly, “I have come to save the life of the Lord Faramir, whose fate is in the hands of a madman. I’ve no time for a parlay. Either you help and let me pass, or you attempt to hinder me and risk the chance of falling into the breach. Decide quickly, for I am in haste.”

Aldamir gazed upon the long-striding and impending figure of Beregond, stretched tall and in earnest resolve. He started when he saw that Beregond’s sword was drawn and dripping with Gondorian blood.

“I know not what spirit drives you Beregond,” said Aldamir, “whether it is the phantom of evil or good, but I have sworn an oath to uphold my duty and to guard my post with my life.”

And drawing his sword Aldamir clashed with Beregond in fierce battle. The hall was filled with shouts and the clanging of swords. But startled by the absence of warning and overwhelmed by steadfast resolve, Aldamir stumbled in foot and quailed in heart and was slain by the Confederate Beregond.

Swirling quickly with an intensity of spirit that caused the other guards to quail, Beregond slew a third guard as if it were with the very same stroke. He bounded then swiftly to the top of the stairs where he clashed swords with still another.

“Stay! Stay!” Cried Gandlaf, springing forward to the stone stair before the door. “Stay this madness!”

Old 02-10-2006, 10:17 AM   #11
CrazySquirrel
Shape-shifting, men-grabbing NAZGUL

Nice piece of fanfiction. But what is it doing in this forum?

BTW, I completely disagree with your POV on Boromir and your groundess idea that Earnur is the same person as the Mouth of Sauron.
CrazySquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 09:41 PM   #12
SonOfSamWise
Hobbit

Wraiths of the Pharmaceutical Drug Cartel

Is the widespread use of - and addiction to - drugs to treat depression, anxiety and hyeractivity the work of the shadow?

Would we know the "Black Breath" if it was near?

?

Old 07-28-2006, 07:49 PM   #13
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Moved to writer's workshop