Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-20-2001, 11:44 AM   #1
MrTreebeard

Boromir and his relationship with the Fellowship

Having read the books countless times in my many seasons on this planet there is something that has always struck me as odd and that is Boromir's situation.

Upon reading through Fellowship again recently it always amazes me that his general attitude is not noticed or questioned by the others apart from Frodo. While he is obviousley noble and strong his personality seems to be one of self indulgence and a lack of faith in others abilities. He also coveted the Ring from his first appearance although this is well disguised by Tolkien generally.

Upon his death he is greatly mourned and given an amazing send off by the Aragorn, Gimli and Legolas but this does not fit in with his attitude in the group although I have no doubt he was a great man in certain respects.

Anyone else know if the companies relationships are mentioned in any of the other books, particularly from Boromir's perspective? Anyone have any views?
Old 02-20-2001, 03:18 PM   #2
Tar Melian

Boromir

I haven't read any of the other Tolkien books, but yes, I always thought it unusual that Gandalf and Aragorn didn't seem alarmed about Boromir's attitude. However, it's very likely that both of them had met Boromir or knew of him, since they both had known his father, Denethor. So they probably weren't at all surprised at his attitude.

I think, that just like Gollum, Gandalf and Aragorn knew that Boromir's fate was wrapped up in the ring also...because of being the heir to the Stewards. So that is why Elrond and Gandalf, and even Aragorn, allowed Boromir to be a part of the Company. Besides that, Boromir was a very capable man who could help protect the 4 halflings.

As for his death, I think Aragorn, and Gimli, and Legolas, truly admired Boromir for his physical prowess, as did all the people of Minas Tirith, and even his brother Faramir. Whether they ever realized Boromir's ambitious attitude or not, I think Aragorn would have honored him in death. Aragorn was an honorable person himself, and would have shown proper respect for the house of Stewards and a captain of the army of Minas Tirith.
Old 02-20-2001, 06:19 PM   #3
Tobold Hornblower

Re: Boromir and his relationship with the Fellowship

Attitude? Like father like son...
However that is not really true. Stuck-up, yes. But Boromir was quite different from Denethor II. Far from being an intellectual giant or otherwise well suited to be the next Steward. His brother on the other hand was of very different abilities and stature. This must have added to BoromirĀ“s conflict and confusion because he loved Faramir. The One seemed to Boromir, consciously or not, a way for him to come into heritance in splendour. Of course, just to be in the vicinity of the ring was corruptive.
Old 02-20-2001, 06:33 PM   #4
Fat middle

well, the book is supposed to be written by Frodo so we're seeing Boromir through Frodo's eyes.

i think it's normal that Gandalf and Aragorn trusted in Boromir: he was the son of the Steward of Gondor and was seeking for help against the enemy. Besides i'm sure he proved his worth ands loyalty a number of times in the way like in Caradhras.

but when Frodo is writing his book he cannot avoid to see him from the first moment as the one who threaten him to get the ring. i think it is as Judas in John's Godspell: we can read several passages that make Judas suspect before he betrayed Jesus, but i don't think the other apostles were aware of that at their time.
Old 02-21-2001, 03:08 PM   #5
X Rogue

Yes, hind sight really is 20/20, isn't it? Gandalf and Aragorn knew Boromir previously in Gondor, and at that point he would have been both younger and more stable, having not yet come under the Ring's influence. Also, at that point, Boromir would have been made aware of Aragorn's ancestry, and thus aware of his own changed role as Steward to the reigning King, instead of King in all but name. I suspect that this acted on him along with the Ring's influence, as Boromir would have been as aware of Aragorn's superiority of character as he was of Faramir's.

Furthermore, I believe Boromir repented of trying to take the Ring, and then also laid down his life in Merry and Pippin's defense, not knowing the Orcs were ordered to take the hobbits alive. I don't know that he could ever be trusted fully by the Fellowship again after trying to take the Ring(certainly Frodo would not have trusted him) but he did show courage, character and repentance for his guilt at the end of his life. Boromir demonstrates abilities more suited to an excellent general (he took Osgiliath for Pete's sake, how good is that?) than a Ruling Steward or King, and he must have known that, all too well.Then to have a younger brother more suited to his own position as heir, and the King returning to boot would have chafed at him every day, especially since Boromir was honorable and wanted the best for Gondor. It was his duty to step aside for the King, and Boromir may well have felt subconsciously that he ought to step aside for his brother too, for the good of the country both were born to serve. Ummmph. Tough to live with all around, yes?
Old 02-22-2001, 01:56 AM   #6
Inoldonil

Boromir always struck me as a good person who was corrupted. Proud, brave, noble warriors such as him will be lured by the Ring, I think. Denethor desired it. But Boromir really did do great deeds in the Fellowship. He fell into folly when he tried to take the Ring, but as is said by Aragorn and Gandalf, Boromir redeemed himself by defending Merry and Pippin. People rarely realise this, they seem to think Boromir was corrupted and than he failed to save the Hobbits. That's not the point, the Hobbits saved him. By ending his life in a valiant effort to do good (and he obviously felt horrible that he was taken by the madness of the Ring), he was redeemed.

I think many of the Wise saw what Boromir wanted, but in a different way. Elrond knew he didn't understand at first why the Ring had to be destroyed, and I am sure therefore that Gandalf realised this too. Elrond however would have no way of knowing Boromir would eventually try to take the Ring himself. Gandalf probobly did not expect it while he was alive in his former life. Why would he? Boromir showed no signs of it during their journey in the Fellowship. But Galadriel found out. When she gazed into all of the Walkers' minds and gave them a choice between something they greatly desired and what they aught to do, which usually meant continuing in the Fellowship, she must have found out. I say that because when Mithrandir returned to Lothlorien, Galadriel told him Boromir would fall. It was not however her place to intervene, she did not do that.

Even if Gandalf knew during the times of the Fellowship, he wouldn't be the one to send Boromir on his way. I don't see how he would. Being a caring person of piety he knew anyone of the Fellowship who left the company would have been alone in some dark place and killed, or else taken back to the Dark Tower for questioning and that would prove perilous for all of Middle-earth. Boromir couldn't have left the company, the only way he could go back to his home was with everyone else. He would also be of great help. Furthermore Gandalf was the most succesful "students" (that term is never used) of Nienna the Vala in Valinor, the Vala of pity and mercy and the wisdom to be found in grief. Why punish someone before they did any wrong, why not give him a chance?

I doubt Aragorn saw anything unusual, but Merry and Pippin noticed his strange behavior in their boat going down the Anduin and were disconcerted. He kept looking at Frodo queerly. Whatever they thought about it was probobly driven out of their heads when Frodo had to make his decision, and they all fell to debating. Noone noticed when Boromir left and when he came back with the news Merry and Pippin were only concerned with finding Frodo. But Sam suspected than that there was more to Boromir's tale than he let on, and doubtless Aragorn knew there was. But as he said he didn't know the part he played. Legolas and Gimli had no way of noticing anything, save from Boromir's words at the Council of Elrond, which were pretty much saved by Elrond himself (as Frodo noted to himself when he was talking with Boromir).
Old 02-26-2001, 06:02 AM   #7
Doll Tearsheet

I'm sure I read recently, somewhere in the HOME series, that in an earlier draft Boromir was not to repent, but somehow to join forces with Saruman. I can't think how this would have worked, though - if he had declared the mission to Saruman, I'd have thought things would have been over PDQ.

Another earlier difference - Denethor was not so harsh towards Faramir, but he still loved Boromir more.