Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-17-2006, 03:04 AM   #1
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
Frodo - A Possible New Dark Lord?

At a decisive point at the end of the Quest Frodo does finally come to grief and loses his vain struggle against the evil of the Ring. Now to the question.

Do You think that Frodo actually could become a new Dark Lord?

Glad to know your views on this?
Grey_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 07:39 AM   #2
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Difficult to say, but I think not. I reckon he could end up utterly corrupted by the Ring, but there was too much competition for him to become a dark lord on his own. The true master of the Ring was Sauron, and as long as he was around, I doubt Frodo would have had a change.
Old 09-17-2006, 08:00 AM   #3
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

I remember that Tolkien says definitely not, that only a Maia (ie Sauron, Saruman or Gandalf) could control the Ring- not even Galadriel or Aragorn- but can anyone say whether this was a late development in his thinking?

IIRC he said that if Frodo had claimed the Ring at Mount Doom, he would have been strong enough that the Nazgul couldn't have simply seized him as they might have done earlier, but would have pretended to obey him until they could betray him to Sauron.

The real reason, of course, is he was too short

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 08:14 AM   #4
Landroval
Elven Warrior

Apparently, only the Wise can wield the one ring:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Council of Elrond, FotR
- Let the Ring be your weapon, if it has such power as you say. Take it and go forth to victory!

- Alas, no, said Elrond. We cannot use the Ruling Ring. That we now know too well. It belongs to Sauron and was made by him alone, and is altogether evil. Its strength, Boromir, is too great for anyone to wield at will, save only those who have already a great power of their own. But for them it holds an even deadlier peril. The very desire of it corrupts the heart. Consider Saruman. If any of the Wise should with this Ring overthrow the Lord of Mordor, using his own arts, he would then set himself on Saurons throne, and yet another Dark Lord would appear.
Quote:
I remember that Tolkien says definitely not, that only a Maia (ie Sauron, Saruman or Gandalf) could control the Ring- not even Galadriel or Aragorn
I disagree; concerning Aragorn, he stated in letter #246 that he can't withhold the ring from Sauron in one-on-one confrontation, and that Galadriel and Elrond would not contemplate such a confronation either, but build great armies with absolutely subservient generals - only Gandalf could be expected to master the ring in Sauron's presence, only to become, as quoted previously, another, even worse, Dark Lord.
Quote:
IIRC he said that if Frodo had claimed the Ring at Mount Doom, he would have been strong enough that the Nazgul couldn't have simply seized him as they might have done earlier, but would have pretended to obey him until they could betray him to Sauron.
I think you are reffering to this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letter #246
I do not think they could have attacked him with violence, nor laid hold upon him or taken him captive; they would have obeyed or feigned to obey any minor commands of his that did not interfere with their errand – laid upon them by Sauron, who still through their nine rings (which he held) had primary control of their wills. That errand was to remove Frodo from the Crack. Once he lost the power or opportunity to destroy the Ring, the end could not be in doubt – saving help from outside, which was hardly even remotely possible.

Frodo had become a considerable person, but of a special kind: in spiritual enlargement rather than in increase of physical or mental power; his will was much stronger than it had been, but so far it had been exercised in resisting not using the Ring and with the object of destroying it. He needed time, much time, before he could control the Ring or (which in such a case is the same) before it could control him; before his will and arrogance could grow to a stature in which he could dominate other major hostile wills
Landroval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 12:47 PM   #5
durinsbane2244
Dreamweaver

also, whatever power is in or a part of the One, we must remember, is SAURON'S power. he put HIS OWN POWER into the Ring, so i doubt anyone else could TRULY and COMPLETELY master it.
And we are the dreamers of dreams,
Wandering by lone sea-breakers,
And sitting by desolate streams;
World-losers and world-forsakers,
On whom the pale moon gleams:
Yet we are the movers and shakers
Of the world for ever, it seems.
----------------
Shanti, shanti, shantih...
durinsbane2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 10:19 AM   #6
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landroval
Apparently, only the Wise can wield the one ring:

I disagree; concerning Aragorn, he stated in letter #246 that he can't withhold the ring from Sauron in one-on-one confrontation, and that Galadriel and Elrond would not contemplate such a confronation either, but build great armies with absolutely subservient generals - only Gandalf could be expected to master the ring in Sauron's presence, only to become, as quoted previously, another, even worse, Dark Lord.

I think you are reffering to this:
Glad to find out that I'm mistaken- I like the possibility of Frodo being able to be a Ring-Lord much better.

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 10:27 AM   #7
me9996
Ring-smith

Location: Either walking across Rohan or riding through Fangorn forest
Strider

I don't think Frodo could become a dark lord, mainly as he isn't strong enough.

I remember something about the ring giveing power acording to the wearers power...

It could corrupt him but he couldn't become a dark lord if he wanted to.
Has no authority whatsoever
Master of messing up
Master of spoiler tags

Thread killer
Ring smith

Merry Christmas!
They'd never say that (Part 2)

What happened to the dragon?
me9996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 12:25 PM   #8
Landroval
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by me9996
I don't think Frodo could become a dark lord, mainly as he isn't strong enough.

I remember something about the ring giveing power acording to the wearers power...

It could corrupt him but he couldn't become a dark lord if he wanted to.
I think this is the passage in question:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirror of Galadriel, FotR
Did not Gandalf tell you that the rings give power according to the measure of each possessor? Before you could use that power you would need to become far stronger, and to train your will to the domination of others.
It should be noted that it is not excluded that Frodo could achieve a certain control over the ring's powers [since he has already "grown", as stated in that chapter or in letter #246].
Landroval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 07:54 PM   #9
Jon S.
Elven Warrior

So I guess at best he could become a beige lord.
Jon S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 09:51 PM   #10
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Dark Putz......