Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-09-2003, 01:29 AM   #1
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

Theoden would you rather have boromir live or die

Hers a question for you lotr fans. Would you rather have boromir live or die. Do you think he would of been a huge help for the fellowship. Dont just say "i'd rather have him live" explain your answer.
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.
gimli7410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2003, 01:32 AM   #2
Shadowfax
The Fleet-Footed

Let's start with your opinion - since you asked the question, that is. What do you say?

"To remain ignorant of things that happened before you were born is to remain a child" (Cicero, 106-43 B.C.)

"Art is a lie which makes us realize the truth" (Picasso)
Shadowfax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2003, 09:37 AM   #3
Lady of Rohan
Doughy Elf

Arwen Undomiel

He might have been a help to the fellowship, he might not have been. He would have eaten more food and they already didn't have enough (or did they?) and he might have argued about going after Frodo and Sam and then he might have won and then they might have gone after them and that would most likely not have been good. If he was alive then the story would have had to change alot unless you where talking about just adding in Boromir and not changing the story?

Well asuming that that is what you ment then Aragorn would have had to ride double as well (with Arod and Hasufel) but then when they got to Edoras things wouldn't have to change much. Just say stuff like "Boromir was walking along silently......." so that people will remember he's there. He would have helped at Helm's Deep (I think) and in all the other war places but he would have been very scared (probably even more scared then Gimli) at The Path of the Dead.

So in other words I have no idea if he would have been a help or a hinderence to the remaining fellowship. THat's why I don't write stories (unless I have to. But then I always write about Sir Alternate. Don't ask) Wow. I've written alot!
Lady of Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2003, 10:19 AM   #4
Lefty Scaevola
AngAdan

If he had made it to Minas Tirith, after recognizing what the ring had done to him, he may have avert a major part of Denenther's maddness.
Lefty Scaevola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2003, 10:27 AM   #5
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

And he would have been sent to Osgiliath instead of, or together with Faramir, and Faramir would not have been lethally hurt, and Eowyn would not have met Faramir in the houses of healing, but would have wedded Boromir instead...
Old 02-09-2003, 11:02 AM   #6
Lady of Rohan
Doughy Elf

Arwen Undomiel

Quote:
Originally posted by Artanis
And he would have been sent to Osgiliath instead of, or together with Faramir, and Faramir would not have been lethally hurt, and Eowyn would not have met Faramir in the houses of healing, but would have wedded Boromir instead...
Do you take that as a good thing or bad?
Lady of Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2003, 11:28 AM   #7
Artanis

It would be a good thing for Boromir
Old 02-09-2003, 12:07 PM   #8
ArwenEvenstar
Elf Lord

Arwen Undomiel

it depends, if he was still ring-crazy it would have been better if he was [still] dead but if he saw the error of his ways and wasn't ring-crazy, it would have been ok.
Old 02-09-2003, 12:18 PM   #9
Artanis

Boromir realized what he had done, and there was no danger that he should revert to being tempted by the Ring again, as long as it was not within his reach.

BUT, if Boromir had come back to Minas Tirith and Denethor hadn't become so mad as to burn himself, Denethor would have been the Steward of Gondor instead of Faramir, and then maybe Aragorn would have a tough time regaining the throne of Gondor.

Last edited by Artanis : 02-09-2003 at 12:19 PM.
Artanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2003, 12:31 PM   #10
Aranwe
Enting

If he no longer wanted the ring he'd would have been a help in the battles for certain, but other than that you can't really say. There are an endless number of possibilities... he may have died later at Helms Deep, so then the story afterwards would probably have been the same. Or he could have lived and gone to Osgiliath and died there, or he may have lived and held Osgiliath, which would have changed the battle at Gondor. The whole story could be different.

As for Denethors maddness... this was due to looking into the Palantir, and seeing what Sauron wanted him to see. I don't think Boromir being alive would have made much of a difference, if any.
Aranwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2003, 01:10 PM   #11
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Denethor would have been the Steward of Gondor instead of Faramir, and then maybe Aragorn would have a tough time regaining the throne of Gondor.
I would have loved for Denethor to have seen Aragorn again, because then Denethor would realize what had happened to Thorongil after all of those years. Also I doubt very much Aragorn would have had trouble regaining the throne of Gondor for two reasons. First, Boromir grew close to liking Aragorn and realized how great he really was and would be as King of Gondor. Second, the people loved Thorongil (Aragorn) and felt he was the greatest hero of Gondor while he served there.

I think that if Boromir lived on, it would have been a good thing. I think he saw the error in his ways regarding the temptation of the ring. I also think that he would have been of immense help to the war cause. I also don't think he would have been scared at all in going to the paths of the dead and if he was he certainly would not have shown it. The only thing I could see if Boromir would have lived on is that he most likely would have pushed them to keep going on to Gondor or he would have travelled there himself instead of pausing in Rohan and such....
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2003, 01:47 PM   #12
Lefty Scaevola
AngAdan

Quote:
BUT, if Boromir had come back to Minas Tirith and Denethor hadn't become so mad as to burn himself, Denethor would have been the Steward of Gondor instead of Faramir, and then maybe Aragorn would have a tough time regaining the throne of Gondor.
But Broromir was recoginising Aragorn as his Liege at the end of FoFR, and likely would have supported his claims.
Lefty Scaevola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2003, 01:51 PM   #13
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

Theoden

Personally i would have loved to see boromir live, i think he would have been a great help in the battle of helms deep and many other obstcales legolas,gimli and aragorn faced. As it sai in the book that aragorn saw about 50 bodies before boromir, i think boromir could have been one of the best fighters around. I think he would realize his errors abot he ring.
I AM CANADIAN

Old 02-09-2003, 01:52 PM   #14
Artanis

Answer to Lefty S:
But Denethor would have been Steward, and not Boromir. Denethor was both proud and rather stubborn. I doubt he would have had the same view on the matter as Boromir there. Aragorn would probably choose to wait until Denethor died.

Last edited by Artanis : 02-09-2003 at 01:53 PM.
Artanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2003, 02:15 PM   #15
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

But also aragorn would be very healthy when denethor died because he lived till 250 years old
I AM CANADIAN

Old 02-09-2003, 02:21 PM   #16
legolas7410
Hobbit

Strider

I think boromir would have been helpful but he might leave aragorn and legolas to hunt frodo and sam for the ring
legolas7410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2003, 02:26 PM   #17
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

Yes but the rings power would have been less over boromir from being so far away and aragorn would have stopped him. Also the rings is so far away and boromir didnt know which way they went
(welcome to the moot legolas7410)
I AM CANADIAN

Old 02-09-2003, 03:09 PM   #18
gollum9630
Canadian Guy.

Gollum

Personaly, Boromir was a dumbass. All he wants is power, and KArma bit him in the ass. If the orcs didnot kill him, i would hope Aragorn would kill him when he gets pissed off about him always trying to get the ring.

LEGOLAS IS GAY
gollum9630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2003, 04:09 PM   #19
Blackboar
Legolas's beloved sister and Queen of the Wood Elves of Mirkwood

Location: Under the hill at Bag-end, Hobbiton the Shire Or Rivendell,I can't remember!!!!!!!!!!
Quote:
Originally posted by gollum9630
LEGOLAS IS GAY
How can you say that!! Do you know how many fangirls there are on this site that will kick your butt!

LEGOLAS IS NOT GAY!
Blackboar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2003, 04:35 PM   #20
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

I think I'd rather him dead, because he was really evil and i didn't like him from the first time I read about him. (somehow I thought h'll be evil eventually).
Quote:
originally posted by Blackbaor
LEGOLAS IS NOT GAY!
is he?
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote