Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-31-2002, 09:00 PM   #1
Handmaiden of Yavanna
Elven Warrior

Women in LOTR

Did anyone else out there wish that there had been a woman in the fellowship?
She wandered wayward for a time, from the gardens of the gods to climb the everlasting mountains free that look upon the outmost sea, and never wandered back but stayed softly singing from glade to glade.
Handmaiden of Yavanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2002, 09:04 PM   #2
Aragorn_iz_cool
Elven Warrior

Depends. Myebe Gimli or Legoles (He looks like a girl in the movie anyway ) could be womanized. But no more then 9 people in the Followship! PERIOD.
Aragorn_iz_cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2002, 09:08 PM   #3
Handmaiden of Yavanna
Elven Warrior

So? Tolkien could have done without pipin or merry or someone. Like if he had taken out Legolas and put in a girl elf, she could have done everything Legolas did so there would not be any gaps.
Now I'm not putting down Tolkien or anything, for gods sake hes my idol, but all i'm saying is that he didn't have to be sort of sextist in that way.
She wandered wayward for a time, from the gardens of the gods to climb the everlasting mountains free that look upon the outmost sea, and never wandered back but stayed softly singing from glade to glade.
Handmaiden of Yavanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2002, 09:59 PM   #4
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

Yes, but that was a time of war and even today it is usually men who fight in wars. Women arn't even allowed on the front line. Anyway Eowyn was a great female character and killed the Witch king.

P.S. I wouln't diss Pippin or Merry around here.
Old 05-31-2002, 10:44 PM   #5
azalea
Long lost mooter

When reading these books as a kid I have to admit I was a little disappointed there weren't any female MAIN characters, and only a few supporting character females (thank goodness for Eowyn! And I inwardly cheered when Goldberry was introduced, her being the first female we really meet in ME). It certainly didn't lessen my enjoyment of the books any, though. I always took it as Tolkein was a man who grew up in a male dominated society. Writing is hard to do, and it is especially hard to write from a point of view you don't share. My guess was always that Tolkein didn't feel he could write a female main character the way he would have wanted to write one (please no one jump down my throat -- I'm simply sharing my thoughts, not purporting to know what he was thinking). Even Eowyn, his most developed female character in LotR, has what would classically be considered to be masculine characteristics. (Then of course it takes a man to tame her and put her in her place, but we won't go there -- Ouch! Ouch! don't hurt me!)
There are plenty of female characters in The Silm, but in that work most of the characters aren't developed as fully as they are in LotR.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2002, 12:42 AM   #6
Eldanuumea
Elven Warrior

Strider unnecessary complication

Including a woman in the Fellowship would have introduced the potential complication of a romantic tieup, and that would have distracted us from the quest.
Old 06-01-2002, 01:42 AM   #7
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

My question is, why are there no evil women in LOTR? No wonder the Orcs are so miserable...
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2002, 02:04 AM   #8
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

Ungoliant? Shelob?

And how do those orcs multiply anyway? Do I want to know?

I think a woman in the Fellowship would not have worked, though I wish there had been one. . .I'm confusing myself. I think it worked better without any women, for reasons mentioned above, and I wouldn't want anyone else taken out, but still. . .er. . .

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Eruviel Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2002, 02:07 AM   #9
Mirahzi
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Eruviel Greenleaf
Ungoliant? Shelob?

And how do those orcs multiply anyway? Do I want to know?

I think a woman in the Fellowship would not have worked, though I wish there had been one. . .I'm confusing myself. I think it worked better without any women, for reasons mentioned above, and I wouldn't want anyone else taken out, but still. . .er. . .
Can you really count a bunch of ugly spiders as 'women'? Female perhaps.. but I think 'women' apply to more humanoid persons.. Eep.

I thought Orcs multiply the same way Elves do.. y'know.
Old 06-01-2002, 02:08 AM   #10
Eruviel Greenleaf

Well, they are female. . .but true, there is a lack of female villians. Hmm. Interesting.

Okay, so where are the female orcs?

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 06-01-2002, 02:12 AM   #11
Mirahzi
Elf Lord

Well, maybe there are female orcs, but you just can't tell the difference, similar to dwarves.
Old 06-01-2002, 02:15 AM   #12
Eruviel Greenleaf

Maybe. Or maybe orcs just multiply. And then when they are older, they divide

-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 06-01-2002, 02:17 AM   #13
Mirahzi
Elf Lord

That would be a scientific marvel.. but I think (according to the Sil) that the orcs were only corruptions of elves, therefore they have similar.. bodily structure and function
Old 06-01-2002, 02:19 AM   #14
Cirdan

maybe they're just staying home with the orclings....

And no dwarf women? (an oversite on my part?)

I thought the elves, well y' know....
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 06-01-2002, 02:26 AM   #15
Mirahzi
Elf Lord

Orclings? Heehee

There're dwarf women.. they're just indistinguishable from Dwarf men.. I tihnk only Dwarves can tell the difference..

Actually, I don't know .. I'd tihnk that elves did it the same way men did it.. "y'know"
Old 06-01-2002, 02:26 AM   #16
Eruviel Greenleaf

The Orcs DO divide; they're always fighting and killing each other!

-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 06-01-2002, 02:35 AM   #17
Cirdan

Quote:
Originally posted by Mirahzi
Orclings? Heehee

There're dwarf women.. they're just indistinguishable from Dwarf men.. I tihnk only Dwarves can tell the difference..

Actually, I don't know .. I'd tihnk that elves did it the same way men did it.. "y'know"
OMG, they don't have beards and carry big axes, do they?

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 06-01-2002, 02:35 AM   #18
Mirahzi
Elf Lord

Ok.. by 'divide' do you mean as in physical separation.. cut in half.. etc? Cause you're really starting to confuzzle me..
Old 06-01-2002, 02:38 AM   #19
Eruviel Greenleaf

I mean they divide within their ranks and slice each other up

Yep. Dwarf women are indistinguishable from the men.

-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 06-01-2002, 02:43 AM   #20
Mirahzi
Elf Lord

I hope Legolas knows what he's getting into