Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 05-31-2002, 12:06 PM   #1
Samwise Gamgee
Hobbit

Your feelings at the end of LotR

I just wanted to guage how people feel after reading LotR. Not just the feelings, but what you take from the read, whether it changes depending on your circumstances.
This may sound weird, but the reason is thus: I think of LotR as a tragedy. Many disagree, but my reasoning is thus: at the end of LotR I shed a tear, but not only because I've come to the end. We all know that the return to the Shire things are just not what they were. Sure, things get better after a year or two with the help of elven magic, but the Shire I imagine when Sam and Frodo ride away is not the Shire I have in my mind when I begin reading The Hobbit. This is kind of a reflection of Tolkien's despising technology. He loved the kind of rustic existence the hobbits enjoyed before any of this happened, but would despise the foul chimney pumping out fumes and raping the Shire which the wanderers encountered on their return. Because of that, I just never see the Shire in the same way.
Furthermore, there's just that overwhelming feeling that things will never be the same. You can argue all you like that LotR isn't real, but you'll never convince me. I just can't imagine what Middle Earth would be like without Frodo, Bilbo, Gandalf, Elrond, Galadriel... you get the idea! Just imagine M.E. without the elves. It's actually painful. So, when the Ringbearers sail West from the Grey Havens at the end, despite knowing they will be content, I am sad. Sad as I think of the way Sam must feel. He gave everything for Frodo, and now he is leaving. How must Sam feel. Sure, he must know it's for a greater good, but it must nonetheless hurt like hell. It's a weird thing that I am actually happy Tolkien never finished the book on the fourth age that he began. I don't want to read a M.E. book missing characters I have grown to love.
I know it sounds weird, but these are my feelings. When I finish reading 'He drew a deep breath. 'Well, I'm back,' he said.' I cry. I cry because I think of the journey and all that happened, and i know things will never be the same in M.E.
How about you?
Old 05-31-2002, 12:08 PM   #2
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
My heart feels broken at the end.

Reading LOTR made me realize how special my friendships are.
Old 05-31-2002, 12:49 PM   #3
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Arwen Undomiel

Gee Samwise, you just described life! It's not that bad though, cheer up. Things never remain the same but new good things take their place (as long as someone makes sure to go out and make it happen!). Even though the "Glory days" are over, life is still dear, as I'm sure Sam would tell you. I was sad as the procession rode along and one by one the big players dropped off. Talk about the party being over! I felt good for Frodo and Gandalf though, what a burden had been lifted from their shoulders. The elves kind of seemed 'gone' already. The new generations of hobbits wouldn't even know what they missed and ME probably heals itself well (thanks to Galadriel's soil) I wonder what goes on in the West. What do they do there? That's the story I want to hear, and it better be happy!

Last edited by Lizra : 05-31-2002 at 12:57 PM.
Old 05-31-2002, 01:37 PM   #4
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

I'm sorry, there is already a thread about this here. It's Entmoot's policy to close threads that are redundant.
Closed Thread