Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion > The Silmarillion Project
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-13-2003, 06:18 PM   #1
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

The Silmarillion: Ch. 6: Of Fëanor and the Unchaining of Melkor

A short resume:

All three kindreds of Elves are now gathered in Valinor and thriving. Fëanor was born and after his birth his mother M*riel surrendered her body and went to Mandos’ halls. Finwë remarried with Indis who gave birth to Fingolfin and Finarfin. When all three were about grown, Manwë decided to turn Melkor loose. After his release Melkor turned his hatred to the Eldar since he held them responsible for his own downfall by the hands of the Valar. So he tricked them in believing him as a friend and counsellor. Of the three kindreds especially the Noldor learned much from him.

Incomplete list of other reads on this subject:

Book of Lost Tales I , The Coming of the Elves and the Making of Kôr
The Shaping of Middle-earth, The earliest ‘Silmarillion’, 4
The Shaping of Middle-earth, The earliest Annals of Valinor, Valian Years 2500 till 2950
Morgoth’s Ring, The Annals of Aman, Fourth Section, 1179 to 1410

Of Fëanor

In this chapter we first come up on Fëanor, one of the most influential and vital characters in Elvish history. It’s an Elf who we readers either love or hate. But how did the Elves see him? He is seemingly remembered by them as foremost the maker of the Silmarils and only then as leader of the rebelling Noldor. Since the Silmarils and the unrest of the Noldor is discussed in the next chapter I won’t touch them yet here. Yet already in this chapter we learn he is both skilled and learned.

Quote:
In his youth, bettering the work of Rúmil, he devised those letters which bear his name, and which the Eldar used ever after; and he it was who, first of the Noldor, discovered how gems greater and brighter than those of the Earth might be made with skill.
One might think that his wayward character came from his unusual (at least for Elves) family situation. He grew up without his mother and with a father who adored him. He was soon presented with a stepmother. Fëanor was ill-pleased with his father’s second marriage and he didn’t really like the half-brothers he ended up with. Combined with his pride and stubbornness that spells out trouble. Though one may say in his defence that Fëanor never liked Melkor nor took his counsel.

Of Finwë

As far as my limited knowledge of Elves goes, they don’t remarry. However they don’t usually refuse to take up another body either like M*riel, Finwë’s wife did. Poor Finwë was in a sad situation. His wife refused to take up her body again after the birth of one son and Finwë wanted more children (why I do wonder, I suspect Fëanor was already more than a handful even as a child ).

According to the Silmarillion one might blame his remarriage with Indis for the troubles it would cause later on. But it also states that if he hadn’t remarried, history would have been denied the sons he had with Indis and a much bleaker history it would have been: no Fingolfin, no Finrod Felagund (, ), no Gondolin, no Eärendil, ect… Personally I’m not so sure if Finwë’s to blame. His was a rather exceptional situation with M*riel.

I wonder whether Finwë spoiled his son. He loved his son more than anything and Fëanor grew up to be a rather stubborn son. If he had been a Man I certainly would have made a connection between the last two sentences. But since Fëanor is an Elf, I hesitate. More so since Fëanor was already a rather ‘fiery’ person when he was born.

*to be continued*