Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion > The Silmarillion Project
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-28-2002, 11:29 PM   #1
Maedhros
The Tall

I can't believe that Chapter 6 is not taken.
2. Of or relating to North or South America, the West Indies, or the Western Hemisphere.
As a noun American is:
A native or inhabitant of America.
A citizen of the United States.

Then the boy asked, “What is America then?”, and the wise man looked at the dictionary again:
1. The United States.
2. also the A·mer·i·cas. The landmasses and islands of North America, Central America, and South America.

Confused, the boy asked, “Does the term american refers solely to a us citizen or to any person in North, Central or South America?”
The wise man replied: “What do you think?”, and the boy answered: “It is clear to me that while the term american is used to refers to us citizens, one can also use it to refer to any person who is from that continent too,” the boy thought for a while and asked the wise man, “Am I right?”, and he replied: “But of course.”
The boy wondered, why is it that some people refuse to acknowledge the fact that the term american refers not only to US citizens but to anyone of the American continent?, but then sadly, the boy understood, that it is the calamity of ignorance.
Maedhros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 02:01 PM   #2
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

I'm doing Chapter 1 "Of the beginning of days", if no one else will.

Can someone please volunteer for Chapter 2 "Of Aule and Yavanna"? Then I hope this project will go on at least some weeks more.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to put up dates for the chapter discussions. One reason that I don't volunteer for more chapters right now is that I don't know when the chapters will be due.
Old 12-09-2002, 04:16 PM   #3
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Artanis
Can someone please volunteer for Chapter 2 "Of Aule and Yavanna"? Then I hope this project will go on at least some weeks more.
I will, unless somebody else wants it. But dates would nice too, that way I can make sure I get it ready in time.
Old 12-09-2002, 04:35 PM   #4
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

That will be great guys. I can work out the due dates and will post them in a sticky.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2002, 03:11 AM   #5
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I might do of the Sun and the Moon and the hiding of Valinor, if nobody takes it.
Old 12-10-2002, 12:14 PM   #6
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
I might do of the Sun and the Moon and the hiding of Valinor, if nobody takes it.
That would be great BoP. That one is due July 28th, so there is plenty of time. I won't add your name to the list until you give me a definate answer.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 12-10-2002, 05:36 PM   #7
Dunadan
The Quite Querulous Quendi

How did I miss this till now??

I'll do one if you like. I'm not bothered which, as long as it's not before xmas!

cheers

d.
Dunadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2002, 06:37 PM   #8
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Re: How did I miss this till now??

Quote:
Originally posted by Dunadan
I'll do one if you like. I'm not bothered which, as long as it's not before xmas!

cheers

d.
Ok Dunadan. Go take a look at the first post in this thread, and pick what's available. The due dates are listed in a seperate thread, so have a look at that one too, and let me know which one you would like. I eventually will get around to posting the due dates in the first post of this thread so that I can eliminate the other sticky. It was really just temporary.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 12-10-2002, 07:19 PM   #9
Dunadan

I'd quite like to have a go at Chapter 6, as it's central to everything else (though with some trepidation, for the same reason).

I note that the rules state that you have to have History of Middle Earth, which I don't. Can I ask why? Perhaps I'm missing something..

cheers

d.
Old 12-10-2002, 07:27 PM   #10
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Dunadan
I'd quite like to have a go at Chapter 6, as it's central to everything else (though with some trepidation, for the same reason).

I note that the rules state that you have to have History of Middle Earth, which I don't. Can I ask why? Perhaps I'm missing something..

cheers

d.
It is not a requirement to have the HoMe series, and anyone who does not is welcome to participate and others such as Maedhros will add the extra research material, so you don't have to be conerned with that. You have the most important book of all I'd say. Maedhros just thought it would be nice to have as much as we could have, like the HoMe books and maps and pics if possible which won't be for me when the time comes to do my chapters. It is just about doing what you can in making your chapter as interesting as you can, and participating, so don't worry.

I will add your name and due date to the list in this thread. Thanks for taking part.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 12-11-2002, 05:20 AM   #11
Dunadan

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
I will add your name and due date to the list in this thread. Thanks for taking part.
Grand. Looking forward to it. Now I've got some reading to do to catch up on the discussion so far...
Old 12-11-2002, 10:50 PM   #12
azalea
Long lost mooter

I'll take chapter 16. Since it's such a long time befire it's "due," I'll have long finished the book and hopefully will have read a lot of HoME! In any case, I have ample time to prepare! I can't believe no one has taken ch. 4!
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 01:34 AM   #13
Maedhros
The Tall

Excellent, I see that the discussion is going well. I think that the idea of giving people the opportunity to do the intros of the chapters and setting the pace of the discussion is great. It makes it a more evolving discussion and everyone will feel in it.
2. Of or relating to North or South America, the West Indies, or the Western Hemisphere.
As a noun American is:
A native or inhabitant of America.
A citizen of the United States.

Then the boy asked, “What is America then?”, and the wise man looked at the dictionary again:
1. The United States.
2. also the A·mer·i·cas. The landmasses and islands of North America, Central America, and South America.

Confused, the boy asked, “Does the term american refers solely to a us citizen or to any person in North, Central or South America?”
The wise man replied: “What do you think?”, and the boy answered: “It is clear to me that while the term american is used to refers to us citizens, one can also use it to refer to any person who is from that continent too,” the boy thought for a while and asked the wise man, “Am I right?”, and he replied: “But of course.”
The boy wondered, why is it that some people refuse to acknowledge the fact that the term american refers not only to US citizens but to anyone of the American continent?, but then sadly, the boy understood, that it is the calamity of ignorance.
Maedhros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 11:25 AM   #14
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by azalea
I'll take chapter 16. Since it's such a long time befire it's "due," I'll have long finished the book and hopefully will have read a lot of HoME! In any case, I have ample time to prepare! I can't believe no one has taken ch. 4!
Welcome to the project azalea. I have added your name to the list.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 12-15-2002, 05:16 PM   #15
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Put me down for the AKALLABÊTH and OF THE RINGS OF POWER

Those are more my areas of specialty.
Old 12-15-2002, 07:34 PM   #16
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Excellent Wayfarer. Consider it done.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 12-27-2002, 05:18 AM   #17
Vortûriel
Sapling

Hi, this may be considered a little ambitious for my first posting but I would like to take chapter 11 (I am lying as I would really like to take chapter 19 but am concerned that I wouldn't do it justice and it is already been assigned anyway!). I have loved reading the threads and find the discussions fascinating. I thought I was knowlegeable on the subject of Tolkien but having been hanging around the Entmoot for a few days I have decided to re read Sil (and possibly LOTR again - just bought the set for my other half in the hope of encouraging a similar obsession in him so he is no longer bored to tears with my ramblings on the subject). Just got BOLT1 and 2 for crimbo along with the complete guide to Middle Earth and the book of maps so I should be able to contribute far more effectivly by the time chapter 11 comes up for discussion! You may find me a little quiet until I have finished some serious reading though! Keep up the good work and keep an eye out for my signature, developing something really profound at the moment ha ha.
Vortûriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2002, 11:17 AM   #18
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Welcome to Entmoot Vortûriel, and welcome to the Silmarillion project. I will run over and post your name to the list of volunteers. Hope you enjoy our little community.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 12-30-2002, 12:49 AM   #19
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

I'm happy to do any chapter available. I have a copy of The Sil and can get copies of the relevent HoME books.
Old 12-30-2002, 01:58 PM   #20
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

That's great cassiopeia. Go have a look at the list. There are still quite a few chapters available. Pick one and let me know, and I'll put you up on the list.

Travel and Tourism Guide