Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-05-2005, 08:34 PM   #1
Eowyn, Lady of Rohan
The Evil One

Green Day

I love Green Day! My favorite songs are American Idiot, Time of your life, Holiday, Boulevard of Broken Dreams, and Scattered
Eowyn, Lady of Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 10:58 PM   #2
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

They're a big hit up here in Canada. I've never been very exposed to their music myself, but I confess I like their sound, even if a lot of the songs sound the same in a "heard one, heard'em all" kind of way that I think plagues a lot of '90s and '00s rock. On the other hand, as one of the bands that from what I've heard defined that pop-punk sound, you can only fault them so much.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 03:18 AM   #3
Millane
The Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronParrot
On the other hand, as one of the bands that from what I've heard defined that pop-punk sound, you can only fault them so much.
possibly there most heinous crime, "pop-punk", :shudders:
nope, terrible...
Old 08-08-2005, 01:59 AM   #4
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Well, speaking as a music snob myself, I don't think that it's a crime - it's just that I don't see any of the bands really taking it in a bold new direction apart from sitting on major chords and popping on a layer of garage vocals. They all sound very, very much alike.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Old 08-08-2005, 01:40 PM   #5
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millane
possibly there most heinous crime, "pop-punk", :shudders:
nope, terrible...
I would make the distinction that Green Day is (and was) punk made mainstream. Call it "pop punk" if you like but I think they predated it... While the Blinks and Avrils and such are kiddie punk or MTV punk. Remember Green Day was rolling stuff out when grunge was still on top. The kiddie punk phenomenon didnt really get huge until a good decade after they appeared. Hate em for being popular but they did it first really. And theres nothing wrong with makin fun energetic music with three chords and wink and a smile attitude.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 07:41 AM   #6
Millane
The Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insidious Rex
I would make the distinction that Green Day is (and was) punk made mainstream. Call it "pop punk" if you like but I think they predated it... While the Blinks and Avrils and such are kiddie punk or MTV punk. Remember Green Day was rolling stuff out when grunge was still on top. The kiddie punk phenomenon didnt really get huge until a good decade after they appeared. Hate em for being popular but they did it first really. And theres nothing wrong with makin fun energetic music with three chords and wink and a smile attitude.
of course theres nothing wrong with it, i just dont like the music, i prefer fun energetic good music with a variety of sounds though...
Old 08-11-2005, 03:25 AM   #7
sun-star
Lady of Letters

That "Wake Me Up When September Ends" song is annoyingly catchy, but I do like "Time of Your Life".
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 01:04 PM   #8
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Have you seen the video for "September"? It's about seven minutes long, and half of it is a war movie. Unconventional, and I'm guessing a very big budget.

Old 08-24-2005, 01:11 AM   #9
Melfena
Elven Warrior

I like green day, their old and new stuff. I really like the story that the american idiot tells, but i don't like that the songs that they relesed for the radio thus far, are so scattered in the main character's life that you don't really get a feel for what the story is about.
Old 08-25-2005, 08:55 PM   #10
Eowyn, Lady of Rohan
The Evil One

i just got their newest cd and i really like it.
Eowyn, Lady of Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote