Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-11-2001, 10:46 PM   #1
Feanturi

Is there any other way for a .........

Is there any other way for a nazgul to turn someone into a wraith. It was brought up in another topic, i wasn't sure.
Old 06-11-2001, 11:48 PM   #2
Inoldonil

Re: Is there any other way for a .........

In the broad sense of 'wraith', one Nazgul might slay you and then may by Necromantic arts keep you in the land of the living as a wraith under their dominion, it is possible, although it would be a very exceptional process, especially when dealing with mortals.

But really I don't think there is any way they could have made Frodo into that certain kind of wraith other then by way of that Morgul-knife, in itself a mysterious weapon and procedure. A way in which this might come to pass on most kinds of people would indeed be by one of the Great Rings, specifically one of the Nine, or the One. But the Nine were with Sauron, and evidently a Hobbit could not fade by the power of the One Ring, they had too much of a curious resistance to evil. However they could be horribly corrupted, as Smeagol was, or if the Hobbit was already a person of cruel nature, then that nature would be enhanced and there is the physical corruption over a very long period of time that takes up.

What if a Hobbit had somehow (quite improbably) attained one of the Nine Rings, for mortal men doomed to die? Would he/she have eventually faded and become a Ringwraith? I don't know. It seems likely, if Sauron had the One.
Old 06-12-2001, 03:05 PM   #3
Darth Tater

actually, hobbits can fade, it's just a much slower process
Old 06-12-2001, 08:38 PM   #4
Feanturi

thanks

thanks you guys that interesting to learn. :rollin:
Old 06-13-2001, 06:19 PM   #5
Inoldonil

Darth, as far as I can see not by the Ring, unless you are referring to some passage where someone says that. Maybe Gandalf said it of Gollum?
Old 06-14-2001, 12:24 AM   #6
Feanturi

and still i learn more. if theres anymore info just give me a post.