Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 03-24-2002, 01:09 AM   #1
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Artificial Intelligence (AI)

I just felt that AI was missing on this forum. I know Rogue Elf and Tater loved the movie. It is a really good movie. I highly recommend it.

As I've told people - it's cool that NY is under water and Phildelphia has become a sex city (Rouge City, which is why I think RE likes it so much. ). Just kidding RE - really. The movie takes place in New Jersey which is cool, around the Haddonfield area to be exact.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 03-24-2002, 01:47 AM   #2
Nibs
Head Hollara

I liked it, too. The end (where the aliens come in) started to weird me out, but then the movie stopped because of technical difficulties and we got free tickets to watch another movie... SCORE! I think that gave the movie some undeserving "brownie points" (teehee) in my overall opinion of the movie.

Ever heard of Mormons? I'm one. Click here to know more about us.
Old 03-24-2002, 02:44 AM   #3
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

I think the majority of audiences that didn't like the last act just took it way too literally, and didn't understand it.

I'd say more but I'm too tired to elaborate on my theory right now... maybe in a week or so.

Loved the film by the way.

http://cynima.dhs.org/reviews/ai.html
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
Old 03-24-2002, 12:54 PM   #4
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

Re: Artificial Intelligence (AI)

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
As I've told people - it's cool that NY is under water and Phildelphia has become a sex city (Rouge City, which is why I think RE likes it so much. ). Just kidding RE - really.
I like the name of it - HA. Because I will someday change my nick to Rouge Elf when I actually get my hair dyed.

As for the movie, I absolutely loved it. Adored it. One of my favorites of all time. My dad loved the alien-looking robots at the end better than anything - which is kind of surprising since most people dislike the movie because of that. I thought they were aliens for a while, then I watched the extra features on the DVD knew they were the highly-developed robots that were still there after all the humans had died.

As Joe had said, "When the end comes, all that will be left...is us."

Last edited by Rána Eressëa : 03-24-2002 at 12:55 PM.
Old 03-24-2002, 01:32 PM   #5
Glorious Glorfindel
Elven Warrior

ahh, i thought it was okay as far as okay goes. it was to similar to E.T for me to love it though! it also made me cry which is another reason y it isn't my favorite film!
Na-chaered palan-diriel
o galadhremmin ennorath
Fanuilos, le linnathon
nef aear, si nef aearon!

add a drop of lavander to milk.
leave town with an orange and pretend you're laughing at it.
Old 03-24-2002, 06:51 PM   #6
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

Heh heh, we've already discussed this (RE & JD). I didn't like the ending; not because of the message of the movie, but because it was unbalanced. The flesh fair's my favorite part. Seems like something people would really do. Didn't make me cry though.

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
Old 03-26-2002, 06:02 PM   #7
Kyote Fields
Elven Warrior

I thought that Spielberg balanced Kubrick very well. It was easy to distict who put in what part of the movie. As far as that goes, I never liked Kubrick movies, except for Sparticus. As i read in one reveiw "Spielberg is the creator of dreams, Kubrick the bringer of nightmares."
One question. What did Joe mean when he said "I am. I was." as he was being pulled up into the police helicopter?
Old 03-26-2002, 09:48 PM   #8
Darth Tater
The man

New Jersey! Now I understand why you like this movie Bob!

AI is just such a wonderful movie, IMO. It's a return to form for Spielberg, rediscovering the family stories that made him famous without forgetting the grandeur of some of his recent projects. I too thought the creatures at the end were aliens, but the extra features on the DVD make it quite clear that they're robots, and this ends up making a lot of sense in the context of the film.

As to the "I am! I was!" line. Sigh, now that's quite the question. (I'm pretty sure) they repeat it, I kid you not, at least once in every single extra feature on the DVD! I think they just do that to annoy us even more
Old 03-26-2002, 09:59 PM   #9
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

I've always taken the line "I am! I was!" as a declaration that no matter what the humans do to Joe (as well as all the robots) he still existed.

And concerning the New Jersey comment - I told you I went to go see it before I even knew it took place in New Jersey. It was just a bonus when in the opening scene he declares "Here at Cybergenics of New Jersey...".

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 03-26-2002, 11:47 PM   #10
elf_princess
Elven Warrior

I haven't got to see this movie yet but I really want to... it looks like it might be interesting....
Old 03-27-2002, 12:11 PM   #11
Glorious Glorfindel
Elven Warrior

AHHHHH,i just got it out from blockbusters, it was the first time i had seen it since the cinema. my opinion of A.I has now changed for the better. a good film always makes a girl cry. a bad film always makes a boy cry.
Na-chaered palan-diriel
o galadhremmin ennorath
Fanuilos, le linnathon
nef aear, si nef aearon!

add a drop of lavander to milk.
leave town with an orange and pretend you're laughing at it.
Old 03-30-2002, 03:44 PM   #12
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

I must see it. And soon. I know a lot of my friends didn't like it, but for the most part I like to see a movie myself and form my own opinions, rather than going with what others say. Time Machine is an exception to this. . . But I will definitely see A.I. soon.

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 03-30-2002, 09:44 PM   #13
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

*sigh*
http://www.tolkientrail.com/entmoot/...&threadid=1663

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
Closed Thread