Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-06-2000, 03:12 AM   #1
AngelLord

What happened to Gandalf?

What do you think happened to the wizard afte the "Return of the King"? He left from the Grey havens.
Old 07-06-2000, 12:54 PM   #2
Eruve

Re: What happened to Gandalf?

He went back to Valinor, which is where he originally came from.
Old 07-07-2000, 09:18 PM   #3
Darth Tater

I am Gandalf
Old 07-08-2000, 02:32 AM   #4
juntel

Tater the Grey... sounds nice...
Old 07-08-2000, 03:21 AM   #5
AngelLord

What about Frodo and Leglos and Gimli after they departed.
Old 07-08-2000, 01:00 PM   #6
Eruve

They went to the Blessed Realm, too, but would likely have dwelt in Tol Eressea... And the mortal among them would have died eventually.
Old 07-08-2000, 03:05 PM   #7
etherealunicorn

Nice place to be when you die, anyway, since the mortals would have had to eventually
Old 06-20-2001, 08:48 PM   #8
olorin7

where did you hear that gimli left over the sea?
Old 06-21-2001, 12:12 AM   #9
Inoldonil

I am not Eruve, but presumably he read it in the Appendices, I think it is said in the end of Of Durin's Folk, or maybe it is toward the end of the Chronology of Years. Legolas built a ship and they sailed away together in IV 120, when Aragorn died.
Old 06-21-2001, 05:08 AM   #10
easterlinge

What would a Dwarf do in Valinor? Visit Aule?

What about Bilbo and Frodo? What would a Hobbit do?

Old 06-21-2001, 07:13 AM   #11
Spock1

Sr1421 Bilbo, Frodo, Sam many elves including Elrond and Galadriel and many other elves. Rode down at last to Mithlond, to the Grey Havens in the long firth of Lune. Then Cirdan led them to the Havens and a white ship waiting upon which was Gandalf and Narya The Great. to take Frodo, Bilbo, Gandalf and others sailing west.
Old 06-22-2001, 03:12 AM   #12
Inoldonil

It is speculated by some Fourth Age scholar that Gimli went to see Galadriel, and Galadriel obtained that grace for him. It's important to remember at least initially they went to Eressea, not Valinor.

As for Bilbo and Frodo, they went to rid themselves of the last evil of that terrible Ring, they went for peace.

But they were mortals, and eventually (Bilbo a week after he arrived) they would die, and go whither so ever their fëar (spirits) were doomed to go.
Old 06-22-2001, 09:36 AM   #13
Earendilyon

Quote:
Bilbo a week after he arrived.
Is this your own phantasy, or did you read this somewhere?
Old 06-23-2001, 01:48 AM   #14
Inoldonil

I try not to make things up, I might make deductions,

I read Robert Foster (in the Complete Guide to Middle-earth) say he had read it somewhere, and he doesn't make things up, although his book is now outdated and he makes mistakes.

Quote:
... and I have not given death dates for those [Elves] who have gone over Sea, for they live still. It should be noted that Shire records state that Bilbo lived for one hundred and thirty-one years and seven days.
I imagine the info. is somewhere in the Appendices.
Old 06-24-2001, 06:49 PM   #15
Spock1

My answer of 6/21 is from the appendix of the original book. Gads, does no one have an answer save his name begins with a vowel?
And as for Foster who the h... is he? Did he write LOTR? Did he add the information in the original appendix? He's only guessing like the rest of you; while the answer I provide comes from the creator JRRT. Get it?
Old 06-24-2001, 11:09 PM   #16
Inoldonil

Quote:
Gads, does no one have an answer save his name begins with a vowel?&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp
You seemed to have gone over my head. Answer to what? What were you answering? You might be referring to the original question and Gandalf's Quenya name Olorin, but if so I don't understand what you mean. You seemed to simply clarify who left Middle-earth at the end of the Third Age, which was helpful because people were wondering where who went. Your answer might have been to easterlinge, but he was wondering what a Dwarf or Hobbit would do in Valinor. My comment on Bilbo which caught Earendilyon's eye was just a rather offhand remark, it was not an answer to anyone's question.

If your 'who the h... is he' was really meant, I wonder how you could know 'he's only guessing'. Robert Foster for a long time had the greatest reference source book available, (although Foster apparently was and/or is not very valued as a linguist) Christopher Tolkien mentions him and his book in a few of the Volumes of the History of Middle-earth and Unfinished Tales, he had respect for him and found The Complete Guide to be a very good, reliable help for reference. CT said he frequently used it. It wasn't revised since the publication of the Letters, HoME books and Unfinished Tales though, so it's outdated. Robert Foster wasn't guessing, He's not David Day, he doesn't make things up. Which is why I am sure the information can be found in the Appendices.

He also had access to a few writings of Tolkien's that were (at least at that time) not yet published.

At any rate I don't see how the length of time Bilbo stayed in Aman before his death has anything to do with the information you posted.

So I at least do not get it. Care to explain, nicely if possible?