Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-23-2001, 11:25 PM   #1
Inoldonil

Re: Re...

I don't think he was an Eye. The Eye is said to be the Eye of Sauron, and Gollum notes that he has only nine fingers on The Black Hand (or something like that). I believe there is a reference to his appearing after he was revealed to Celebrimbor and all those folk as being hideous and terrible to behold, but my memory may have failed.

I picture a very tall person (but not giant sized), with ugly skin that looks as though it was burnt or rotting, clad in dark mail from neck to foot, but this being covered by a great cloak of inexorable shadow, a weary and a pain to any eyes that look upon it, with one large eye in the center of his mighty head, and this is fiery around the edges, but glazed and yellow like a cat's, watchful, dreadful, intent and powerful with a black slit of its pupil opened on a pit, a window into nothing. On a black throne I picture him, sitting still, gazing out of Barad-dur with perilous concentration, his thoughts reaching out like iron claws, as cold as the frosts of the Northern Wastes that his master wrought long ago, searching to grip the plots of his enemies and crush them in domination.

This description is in the Mirror of Galadriel, the eye one I mean.
Old 05-24-2001, 03:59 AM   #2
easterlinge

Maybe Sauron was afraid someone would give him a black Eye.
Old 05-24-2001, 08:36 AM   #3
The Black Lieutenant

:lol:

Well, perhaps it wasn't me after all. My memory's not what it was. I can't even remember my own name. Must be all those drugs I did in the Second Age.
Old 05-26-2001, 09:07 PM   #4
Inoldonil

I found the passage I was looking for. Of course it was not after he was revealed to Celebrimbor that he lossed his fair semblance, for such was his appearance afterwards in Numenore. It was after the Akallabeth in the chapter of the same name that it says his form was afterwards black and hideous.
Old 05-26-2001, 10:29 PM   #5
Mace McClain

Thats kinda interesting.

But I think Sauron was just being a whip. *sees Sauron attacking him* Maybe not
Old 07-26-2001, 01:30 AM   #6
mandark20

Re: Sauron in the Trenches

it is because sauron does not have a form in the lord of the rings. he was destroyed at the end of the second age. he has no form
Old 07-26-2001, 09:23 AM   #7
Shanamir Duntak

He has one.
Old 07-27-2001, 07:58 PM   #8
Inoldonil

Indeed he does. He can't not have a form while the Ring lasts.

He had some sort of terrible humanoid form during the War of the Ring, as he is said to have nine fingers on the Black Hand, and to have an Eye (many make the mistake of supposing he is the Eye).
Old 07-27-2001, 09:04 PM   #9
Fat middle

hehe, this thread has finished the same than the one about Sauron's death.

but here he's got five aditional fingers in one hand
Old 08-01-2001, 01:38 AM   #10
Ring Lord Rules

The Dark Lord Has Cometh...

I have come to settle the matter of my form... Your debate has reached across the Ephel Duath and down across the plain of Gorgoroth... my spies have brought to me, in Barad-dur the words you have spoken...

I once I had form as the Maiar had form and I could walk among the Eldar and the lesser Men of Middle Earth. But by the end of the Third Age I had become a Shadow that could take the form of a Great Darkness in the likeness of a man, and that likeness could hold a Ring on it hand for those whom I wanted it to appear so... But make no mistake... I am Shadow... With the One Ring, that Shadow could present itself in any form I wished... without the Ring my only Power was in the act of controlling others... bending their minds to my will. Fear is my greatest weapon!

Without the One Ring, I am but a Shadow of my former self, an Eye ever-searching for that which is lost to me.

You do not yet believe? Then lay your own eyes upon my Dark Presence... the Eye of the Dark Tower...

www.thelandofshadow.com/m...e/eye2.htm
Old 08-01-2001, 06:02 AM   #11
Manwe Sulimo

Re: The Dark Lord Has Cometh...

IIRC, Sauron lost his ability to change shape as he wanted to in the Downfall of Numenor, long before the Ring was made, or even thought of. So, even if Sauron regained the Ring, with all the power he set into it, I don't think he would ever be able to change shape as he wanted again. After the Akabelleth he could only appear as a menacing, fear-bringing dark precense.
Old 08-16-2001, 01:21 PM   #12
hiku747
Hobbit

Arwen Undomiel

i didnt read thru all the posts and if i repeat what someone says, dont mind me... sauron wasnt really in physical form was he? he was more of an undying spirit power type thing... he was the eye, not in human form anymore... the way i took it is if he got the ring back he would be restored to human form and "cover all the land in a second darkness". he had a lot of evil power and control over evil beings, but it didnt seem to me like he was a human anymore... you know?
Old 08-17-2001, 04:54 AM   #13
Elvellon
Elf Lord

Hi, this is my first

About your question bmilder, I remember reading (somewhere) that orcs had the nasty tendency to start fighting among themselves whenever there wasn’t a focusing will to direct them. I believe that meant that Sauron actually needed to control their wills magically, directing the chaotic, destructive nature of orcs against his (and only his!) enemies. If that is true, then it is likely that he simply could not be fighting his enemies in the battlefield and, at the same time, force his will upon his army.

Reality is just an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

The Caffeine Mantra
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the juice of Brazil that the thoughts aquire speed,
The hands aquire shaking,
the shaking becomes a warning.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion...

Elvellon Erelion

Last edited by Elvellon : 08-20-2001 at 03:58 AM.
Elvellon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2001, 05:29 AM   #14
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

welcome to Entmoot, Elvellon !! where are you from?

i read somewhere (i think it is in the 5th part of Morgoth's Ring) a quick draft Tolkien was making about creation. he was discussing the differences between the creation acts of Iluvatar, Aulë and Melkor.

what i can remember is that only Iluvatar could create beings both free and able to love him. Aulë created the Dwarfs and he wanted them to love him, but thence they were not free: he needed to "move her by remote control" if i may put it so

Melkor (and then Sauron, i guess) created free Orcs, but they can't love him, only obey him.

Well, i'm not sure Tolkien meant exactly what i've said but i like the idea. Anyway, i think to remember he rejected that draft afterwards.
Old 08-17-2001, 09:14 AM   #15
Elvellon
Elf Lord

re

Hi again,

I’m from very near you, Fat middle; I’m from Portugal.
Thanks for the input!

The Caffeine Mantra

Elvellon Erelion
Old 08-17-2001, 09:21 AM   #16
Elvellon
Elf Lord

re

The Caffeine Mantra

Elvellon Erelion

Last edited by Elvellon : 08-20-2001 at 03:57 AM.
Old 08-17-2001, 10:27 AM   #17
Shanamir Duntak
Lord of Rain

Strider

Oupsy... double post....

Welcome to the board!
Old 08-18-2001, 12:01 AM   #18
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

lol Fat Middle!

But haven't you read Letter #954?
Quote:
It remained the chief peculiarity among incarnated Maiar that they would (by, no doubt, the ultimate will of Eru, God, or else the rebellious 'demonic' figure of Melkor/Morgoth) have ten fingers on one hand, but none on the other. This was not the case for the Istari, or Wizards who of course had to look like ordinary Men, although they were always old. This was done, I think, not so much because of genetic 'taste' and theory, but rather to ensure a certain poster on Entmoot would not look like a fool for suggesting it.
At least I think that's what that letter says ... in any case, you see how Sauron would have nine fingers on one hand, his Ring-finger being removed by Isildur.
Old 08-18-2001, 04:29 AM   #19
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

well, i think i'll have to look for that quote in Morgoth's Ring, i see you don't trust my memory... nor my interpretation skills

yep, letter #954!! sure
Old 08-25-2001, 01:33 PM   #20
LofL
Sapling

About Gandalf and the Balrog: I think that after Gandalf defeated the Balrog and went into his trance, he changed. He doesn't even call himself 'Gandalf the Grey', but 'Gandalf the White'. Saruman was 'Saruman the White' before Gandalf was white, and Saruman hoped to defeat Sauron.
LofL is offline   Reply With Quote