Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-02-2008, 06:33 PM   #1
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Yo! Good to see you're passing on the good word Keith. I gave it my best shot but my eldest is more of a Pratchett man, but there you go. Can't win 'em all. And could be worse. Much, much worse in fact.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 06:46 PM   #2
shesabrandybuck
Hero of Hyrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith K View Post
I was in eighth grade when a kid got up and gave a book report on The Hobbit. That was the first inkling I had that Middle Earth existed. I was able to read it for myself the following year, and a year after that I read LoTR for the first time.

I've been a fan ever since, and have even raised a few fans, as shesabrandybuck can testify. I'm very proud of her many accomplishments, but she will have to study long to comprehend the riddles of Keith K.

I DIDNT KNOW YOU CAME HERE TODAY!!! What a pleasant suprise! Hi dad, hahaha...this is weird..
And many miles be still to go,
But under a tree I will lie,
And let the clouds go sailing by.

twitter

Last edited by shesabrandybuck : 04-02-2008 at 06:57 PM.
shesabrandybuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 11:15 PM   #3
Keith K
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by shesabrandybuck View Post
..this is weird..
Agreed. Oh well, that's life in the Age of Communications, I reckon. Of course, I'm happy to see you wherever we meet!

Quote:

My son was on for awhile as Meriadoc, but got too busy with football and wrestling, although he still loves LOTR, as do my other two kids and the dog.

(ok, just kidding about the dog! )

My husband tolerates our LOTR, but is not a fan himself. But as he is great in so many other important areas, I forgive him for that
LOL, good one, Rian!

I think it's safe to say that just like the Road, this story will go ever on and on. Each new generation will discover the magic of this well-told tale, and feel the thrill just as we do.
Keith K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 03:12 AM   #4
Curufin
The Ñoldóran

Quote:
I think it's safe to say that just like the Road, this story will go ever on and on. Each new generation will discover the magic of this well-told tale, and feel the thrill just as we do.
Of course, now we must hope that people, after seeing the movies, will find the need to read the books...

To elaborate a bit on my story - I really didn't fall in love with Tolkien's works until I read The Silmarillion. I read LotR, and liked it well enough, but I wasn't caught up in the magic until I delved into The Silmarillion. That, and the HoME, especially Laws and Customs, Athrabeth Finrod an Andreth, and The Shibboleth of Fëanor. It was in these texts, and the expressions of Tolkien's essential theology and philosophy, that I found the true beauty of Tolkien's universe.

~The Lay of Leithian
Curufin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 10:34 PM   #5
katya
Elven Maiden

I was in love as soon as I read LotR, and I didn't finish Silmarillion until a couple years later, though it's my favourite now. I remember it well.... For about a week I did nothing but read LotR (and discover Entmoot!). I kept having to walk to the bookstore to buy the next part. I didn't stop until I was done, and then there was much 'mooting and running around in the woods pretending it was Middle Earth.
katya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 12:12 AM   #6
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufin View Post
Of course, now we must hope that people, after seeing the movies, will find the need to read the books...

To elaborate a bit on my story - I really didn't fall in love with Tolkien's works until I read The Silmarillion. I read LotR, and liked it well enough, but I wasn't caught up in the magic until I delved into The Silmarillion. That, and the HoME, especially Laws and Customs, Athrabeth Finrod an Andreth, and The Shibboleth of Fëanor. It was in these texts, and the expressions of Tolkien's essential theology and philosophy, that I found the true beauty of Tolkien's universe.
Oh, we had some great discussions on the Athrabeth a few years ago ... and I love the Shibboleth - great backstory on Fëanor!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 05:20 PM   #7
Curufin
The Ñoldóran

Well, I'm almost thirty and I still like it. What is RP for, after all?

~The Lay of Leithian
Old 04-07-2008, 05:20 PM   #8
The Dread Pirate Roberts
Elf Lord

Never too old or too young... even the merry Elves were often thousands of years old. And some of us here are in their 40s.
Old 04-13-2008, 10:55 AM   #9
Belwen_of_nargothrond
Enting

Greetings

I had a friend on the internet who told me how much he liked the movies. I was never into anything like that. I liked fantasy, but those movies never interested me. Then a girl at work told me she loved them. That caught my curiosity so I decided to buy them since I was a member of Columbia House and if I didn't like them, I could sell them. I watched them and found that I was very much interested.

It didn't take long to become obsessed and I would watch them every chance I got. Then I decided to buy the books because I'm an avid reader. I read The Hobbit and found it interesting. Then I read the LoTR trilogy and when I realized the changes that PJ had made, it angered me. I got to where I would rarely watch the movies at all. It took a while for me to get through the books because some parts just weren't interesting to me.

I had put off reading The Silmarillion because it was hard to get into. Finally I forced myself to read it and lo and behold, a terrible addiction began. After I finished it, I read it again and highlighted important parts. Now I'm lost without it and I'm going to have to read it again. I just love those elves!
Old 04-13-2008, 03:25 PM   #10
Aikanáro
Chaotic Good

I loved The Hobbit as a child, tried to read LotR when I was about nine because I thought it might be similar and was amazed by it being such a long book. Unfortunately I didn't understand it enough for it to make much of an impression there.

Skip forward (quite a while ) to the movies, the first of which inspired me to try the book again. This time, I loved it. Then of course I got involved with Tolkien communities online and realized how much more there was to the world he was created. The Silmarillion remains my favorite book and it was reading that, I think, that really got me hooked.

Aikanáro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 02:16 AM   #11
Coffeehouse
Entmoot Minister of Foreign Affairs

I remember my father told me and my sister about the Hobbit when we were no older than 6-7 years old. I became so amazed at his short-version of how the hobbits rode on their ponies through the Middle Earth. And I remember he told us about the lord with the ring (Ofc i imagined at that time I can recall that the ring was a red ring, kinda diamondish and that Sauron was up in some mountain looking down on the world, which isn't that far off really) Ever since I've read LOTR both in norwegian and english, and I prefer the hobbit in norwegian and LOTR in english
I still think it's cool that the movie came about though even if it's way off on some of the original storyline.
Coffeehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 02:43 AM   #12
Curufin
The Ñoldóran

Greetings, Coffeehouse!

Can't say I agree with you about the movies, but each to their own, I suppose. Have you read the Silmarillion as well? That was the book that got me loving Tolkien...

~The Lay of Leithian
Old 04-16-2008, 03:25 AM   #13
Coffeehouse
Entmoot Minister of Foreign Affairs

Quote:
Greetings, Coffeehouse!

Can't say I agree with you about the movies, but each to their own, I suppose. Have you read the Silmarillion as well? That was the book that got me loving Tolkien...
Greetings I stumbled upon this forum a few hours ago and now I'm cheerfully reading posts here and there

I tried having a go at the Silmarillion when I was 11-12 but it was only half-hearted. I actually still have that copy but can't say I've read it front to back
Coffeehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 03:06 AM   #14
Mari
Elf Lady

There are quite a few members who were introduced to Tolkiens works by their parents.
I wonder if my parents even know who Tolkien is...

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Mari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 01:16 AM   #15
Kennashi
Enting

I, of course, found Tolkien through the movies as many others...yes it is shameful. Don't look at me! I'm ugly...

But seriously though, I guess I got interested in seeing FOTR because I FREAKING LOVED EXCALIBUR (the film from 1981)! And after seeing that godly film, I became obsessed with anything that involved swords, sorcery, etc. And when I stumbled upon LOTR, I had finally found something that had simply satisfied my hunger for all things magical (although Excalibur will always hold a dear place in my heart).
Kennashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 03:13 AM   #16
Curufin
The Ñoldóran

I introduced my parents to it. Read all of the second book of The Two Towers to my mom on a roadtrip home from Florida once.

My uncle, however, had been a fan since publication.

~The Lay of Leithian
Old 04-16-2008, 04:10 AM   #17
Mari
Elf Lady

Quote:
I introduced my parents to it. Read all of the second book of The Two Towers to my mom on a roadtrip home from Florida once.

My uncle, however, had been a fan since publication.
That will never work for me. My parents aren't into "weird unreal stories with elves and whatmore flying around". I did get my sister to read the Hobbit though and I know she liked it, but she now says that she can't remember reading it. (How can you NOT remember reading the Hobbit?!?)
But I'm not giving up. She WILL read LotR!

Welcome Coffeehouse! I'm glad you stumbled here. The Moot is a great place to stumble upon

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Mari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 12:25 PM   #18
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Welcome coffeehouse. Check over in the general forum, when you have a chance.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

This is the best news story EVER!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26087293/

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
sisterandcousinandaunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 09:31 AM   #19
DARKastheRAIN
Hobbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari View Post
That will never work for me. My parents aren't into "weird unreal stories with elves and whatmore flying around". I did get my sister to read the Hobbit though and I know she liked it, but she now says that she can't remember reading it. (How can you NOT remember reading the Hobbit?!?)
But I'm not giving up. She WILL read LotR!
I got my 12 year old sister to read the Hobbit and she loved it. Then I tried to get her to give LotR a second chance, but she says 'no I don't like the language, it's not kid language like the Hobbit'

Then I tried to get her to listen to the Children of Hurin audio book with me and she started acting very rude halfway through the first chapter and saying she was bored and calling the writing style "icky language"

Which had me saying "Call Tolkien's beautiful writing style 'icky' one more time, and death shall find thee swiftly, baseborn mortal child!"

I have since decided to let her grow up a little before trying to force more Tolkien on her again

My current battle is trying to convince my mom to read the Hobbit to my six-year-old brother as a bedtime story. I could just read it to him myself, but by getting my mom to read it to him I'll have exposed her aswell. Two birds with one stone

Last edited by DARKastheRAIN : 02-19-2009 at 09:32 AM.
DARKastheRAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 10:51 PM   #20
paul
Sapling

Gandalf

I came to LotR via the movieis . Then I read the set and find that as enjoyable . My favorite hobbitt Sam Wise Gamgee ,
Person I would wanted help in time of trouble Any of the Fellowship of the Ring
Least favorite charecter Saruman
Did I like the movies over the books ? Its a draw the books give one several hours/days of reading while the movis run to 12 hours more or less of watching.
paul is offline   Reply With Quote