Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-27-2011, 05:46 AM   #1
ender_petra
Sapling

Engraving rings in elvish and klingon

Hey everyone, I use to be really active on these boards and I know that ya'll know a lot about Elvish and other dorky stuff, I remember seeing some LOTR related wedding bands a while back. Does anyone have any tips on getting ring engraved in Elvish and/or Klingon? My fiancee is a huge Star Trek nerd, is there a word for love, I give you my heart, forever or anything like that? And is there any way to get it engraved in Klingon symbols?

The same thing for me, but in elvish, as I'm the LOTR geek.

Thanks!
ender_petra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 02:16 PM   #2
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Dont know about Klingon but my wedding ring is engraved with a Sindarin saying thats basically a twist on the One Ring language only about love rather than domination and control (although the allusion to a ring that "binds you" was purposeful as well!). I got our rings from a jeweler that specialized in celtic designs and folksy stylings and his engraver had done elven writing before so it wasnt a reach for him. One advice I would give is carefully research what you want written on the ring and try not to make it too long. I had to go back and forth with my jeweler about the wording because he thought it would come off looking too small because it was so long. In the end I just couldnt trim it because it would have altered the message I was trying to convey so they went ahead and put it ALL on the ring and in my opinion it looks perfect. Didnt want giant characters anyway. You have to look closely to see its actually Sindarin which is just fine with me.

I would recommend my jeweler but I doubt you are local to me (he's based outside of Baltimore). Maybe check at local ren fests or celtic/irish fests and see what jewelers show there and ask if they could do that kind of work or who they would recommend. I would stay away from online sources for this kind of detailed highly personal work. Good luck.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 04:27 PM   #3
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Going by the Klingon script on Wikipedia, I'd say it'll be a tad more expensive to get the Klingon script done than the Tengwar.

Ren Fair jewellers would also be the first door I'd be knocking on if I was looking for something like this. Most of those are bound to have come across Tengwar engraving at some point.

Welcome back.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:57 PM   #4
Galin
Elven Warrior

Hmm, I think people have used Noldorin meleth 'love' (as a noun) for expressions of romantic love. Or have invented *estelio veleth 'trust love'.

This word is attested in an early-ish text called Etymologies as hailing fom a stem MEL- 'love' (as a friend). It's been adopted into Sindarin if not specifically attested later (can't recall if it is), and in a much later collection called Words, Phrases, And Passages we have attested mell adj. 'dear beloved', and author-published mellon 'friend', for examples, implying this stem and meaning are still in play in any case.

I know that a marriage implies love beyond that of friendship of course, but Neo-elvish users have adopted meleth, probably for lack of a better word, or perhaps it's attested somewhere in a context that implies a different kind of love (again I can't recall at the moment). It was used in the films in estelio veleth for example, to mean 'trust love' -- here the initial sound is mutated, but if you just inscribe the word itself the regular form is meleth.

Or just write English love using the Elvish letters -- no one will be able to read it either way, or few at least will be able to I'm guessing -- and it will still look very nice.

Last edited by Galin : 11-29-2011 at 11:15 PM.
Galin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 06:10 AM   #5
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Wow. You REALLY know your Elvish.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Lotesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 06:12 AM   #6
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

That was partly serious, and partly sarcastic, there babe. *kisses*

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe