Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-29-2003, 01:40 PM   #1
Celeviel
Hobbit

the first edition of the silmarillion

i was off all day on saturday and i spent it by reading books from my fiance's large library... whilst i was looking through the bookcases, i came upon the u.s first edition of the silmarillion... i've heard that these editions hold value as they are considered as collector's items by some people... so right now i'm very curious on whether or not this first edition of the silmarillion is actually worth a lot of money, and if so, what is the highest price you've ever seen (btw, i would not even think of it selling this book, ever)...
Celeviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 03:23 PM   #2
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Re: the first edition of the silmarillion

Quote:
Originally posted by Celeviel
i was off all day on saturday and i spent it by reading books from my fiance's large library... whilst i was looking through the bookcases, i came upon the u.s first edition of the silmarillion... i've heard that these editions hold value as they are considered as collector's items by some people... so right now i'm very curious on whether or not this first edition of the silmarillion is actually worth a lot of money, and if so, what is the highest price you've ever seen (btw, i would not even think of it selling this book, ever)...
Well, I can't say what it's worth, but I remember sometime back, Michael Martinez, I believe, made a comment about it, and from what I gather, it isn't really worth much because it was published in 1977. That was only 26 years ago.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 03:28 PM   #3
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

No, it's not. You can pick them up off ebay for pretty cheap prices. I think if it was a UK first print, it might be a different story, but I'm not sure. Anyway, I paid about US$5 for my US first edition about year and a half ago.

A link to some ebay auctions.

Edit: Unless it's the 2002 folio edition which is damned rare. Published by the Folio society. I'll always regret not picking one out when I got my folio LOTR and Hobbit (you actually have to be a member of folio to buy them...)

Here are some links to the Folio auctions.

Last edited by Sheeana : 09-29-2003 at 03:35 PM.
Sheeana is offline   Reply With Quote