Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Harry Potter
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-13-2003, 07:22 PM   #1
Tanoliel
Eccentric Chocolate Crow

I used to be the same age as Harry & co. Then she took ages writing...and now I'm not.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Harry's going to try --and maybe succeed-- in going behind the Veil and talking to Sirius. I think S is going to "come back" in some way--because that part of the story is in desparate need of closure.

bat

Food Of The Gods:
3,7-dihydro-3,7-dimethyl-1H-purine-2,6-dione

Feed Me....

Another Online Dwelling Place...

"All right, I confess. It is my intention to comandeer a ship, pick up a crew in Tortuga, to rape, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weasely black guts out." -Captain Jack Sparrow

"The trouble with unknown enemies is that they are so difficult to identify." -Amelia Peabody Emerson

"Most people obey the orders of someone who is pointing a gun at their head." -A.P. Emerson

Tanoliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 03:48 PM   #2
Fimbrethil
My microwave speaks to me

Location: Having conversations with my major household appliances.
Well I don't think Sirius is coming back but like I said before I think mirrior has some sort of significance. But you are right Tano she does need to give some closer on that.
Yes sir, yes sir. Three bags full.

I'll be gone for a while. But never fear! "I shall return anon!"
Fimbrethil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 05:37 PM   #3
Elf Girl
Lurker

Odd. I thought the Veil thing was very conclusive. To me it was clear that the Veil was Death, but I suppose I could be wrong.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 06:01 PM   #4
Tanoliel
Eccentric Chocolate Crow

I'm not saying that the Veil isn't Death (I agree with you, more or less, on that one)...it's just that there isn't any feeling of closure or anything. The actual death scene is so sudden and so unemotional that it's hard to believe he's actually gone; and Harry will be, if he isn't already, very wrenched around by that...it just needs closure of some kind.
I think it would be nifty if there was some way of going through the Veil, or looking through it, to talk to people who'd gone through.
At any rate, I expect the Veil to figure into future books.

tano

Food Of The Gods:

Feed Me....

"All right, I confess. It is my intention to comandeer a ship, pick up a crew in Tortuga, to rape, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weasely black guts out." -Captain Jack Sparrow

"The trouble with unknown enemies is that they are so difficult to identify." -Amelia Peabody Emerson

"Most people obey the orders of someone who is pointing a gun at their head." -A.P. Emerson

Old 07-20-2003, 09:18 PM   #5
Fimbrethil

I don't really see what the 6th book is going to be about though. I mean we know whats going on and the escaping from Vlodiemort thing is getting old. Not that I don't enjoy the books but the whole reason Voldie was after Harry was becasue of the profecey(sp?) and now that we know what that is the only thing left to do is kill Voldie or Harry or both which ever way J.K. wants to go.

Old 07-21-2003, 12:35 AM   #6
Tanoliel
Eccentric Chocolate Crow

Maybe the next two books will be dedicated to Harry getting a little more character....
He was fairly one-dimensional before...now he's just one-dimensional in the angry dimension.

Argh.

There's also the whole Neville story--which I am personally rather happy about. I'm glad Neville's coming along--I like that kid.

So do you think it will take till book 7 for voldie to die? Otherwise book seven would be almost pointless...but I agree, Fimbrethil, the running and chasing is getting sorta old.

tano

Food Of The Gods:

Feed Me....

Old 07-21-2003, 01:39 AM   #7
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

I think Harry and Neville will have a more personal relationship since they now share a hatred for Bellatrix.

Harry : "I am Harry Potter Montoya. You killed my godfather. Prepare to die. I am Harry Potter Montoya. You killed my godfather. Prepare to die.I am Harry Potter Montoya. You killed my godfather. Prepare to die...." <ad nauseum>

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 12:19 AM   #8
Tanoliel
Eccentric Chocolate Crow

He's got two, though:
Harry (To Voldie): I am Harry Potter. You killed my father (and my mother, and you tried to kill me...). Prepare to die.
Harry (To Bellatrix): I am Harry Potter. You killed my godfather (and a whole bunch of other people...). Prepare to die.

I still think it would be very anticlimactic and very, very beautiful if Neville killed Voldemort.

Ooh. Maybe they'll both do it somehow.

Interesting...

Food Of The Gods:

Feed Me....

Old 07-22-2003, 01:19 PM   #9
Fimbrethil

Quote:
Originally posted by Arathorn
I think Harry and Neville will have a more personal relationship since they now share a hatred for Bellatrix.
Ahhhhhh...I never thought about a Harry/Neville thing! Oh,go read the Harry is gay thread.

Anyway I'm glad someone agrees with me.

Old 07-26-2003, 07:40 AM   #10
Patooti
Sapling

Just read the book again...

I must say I agree with the little emotional effect from the 'death'... But after re-reading again, I came to the conclusion that it was precisely the way it should happened...

IMHO his death is potrayed perfectly, one moment he was taunting his opponent, the next BAM

This is what happens in a war, you won't know when you're going to ... ah... 'hit the dirt' And I think Rowling captured the moment brilliantly, Harry's disbelieving rage, his mind racing for explanation, a certain touch of acceptance...

And did anyone wished that this part was also told from the others POV? I for one really want to see the expression on Lupin's face He's lost his friend again, but he still has the right mind to restrain Harry... awww.. poor wupin
Patooti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 03:14 PM   #11
Arcala
Elven Warrior

Y'know, Arathorn, if you were quoting form The Princess Bride, you forgot the Hello! part. Like: Hello! I am Harry Potter Montoya. You killed my godfather. Prepare to die...

But then maybe that would just be a waste of time.
Stay in bed, float up stream (float up stream)

Please, don't wake me, no, don't shake me
Leave me where I am - I'm only sleeping

Everybody seems to think I'm lazy
I don't mind, I think they're crazy
Running everywhere at such a speed
Till they find there's no need (there's no need)

Please, don't spoil my day, I'm miles away
And after all I'm only sleeping..."

-from the Beatles' I'm Only Sleeping
Arcala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 06:37 PM   #12
Eowyn, Lady of Rohan
The Evil One

lol I like that!

I can't believe
Sirius
died! It's awful. I think J.K.'s gone to far with Cho & Harry's romace, though.
Eowyn, Lady of Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2003, 06:31 PM   #13
eowyngirl14
i don't know what i am talking about either, so don't ask

i remember reaing HP #5 on the plane on my way to sweden on the 22 and i cried when Mrs Weasly sees Ron's dead body as the boggart. the stewrd was like, 'Are you okay?' and my sister was just like 'make her stop' to my mom. it was funny. its amazing how much you can read on an 8 hour plaine flight!

i just started rereading Order of the PHeonix because i was reading so much fanfiction that i was getting confused of what actually happened and what people made up to happen (ya their is a difference somewherei nthere)

'Then I will die as one of them' -Aragorn TTT movie

“They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety”
- Benjamin Franklin

arms are made for hugging

avatar from the avatar shop! made by Eowyn, Lady of Rohan
eowyngirl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 05:21 PM   #14
Eowyn, Lady of Rohan
The Evil One

Oh dear. I almost cried when sirius dies.
Eowyn, Lady of Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 08:20 PM   #15
eowyngirl14
i don't know what i am talking about either, so don't ask

Quote:
Originally posted by Eowyn, Lady of Rohan
Oh dear. I almost cried when sirius dies.
i was getting over my jet lag in sweden when i read that part. it was might time for everyone in sweden though, so i woke up my best fiend Sara, and cried to her for like 2 hours about how mean and unfair it was to kill him off. (she had already read it ofcoarse, otherwise she would have killed me for giving it away...)

i could read the book for a whole day after that becyase i was so mad at JK Rowling and at Harry for being such an idiot.

'Then I will die as one of them' -Aragorn TTT movie

“They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety”
- Benjamin Franklin

arms are made for hugging

avatar from the avatar shop! made by Eowyn, Lady of Rohan
eowyngirl14 is offline   Reply With Quote