Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Harry Potter
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-01-2002, 06:22 PM   #1
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

I liked Malfoy a bit.... I don't want him to die, nor to be dropped out of school.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 01:02 AM   #2
Sylvee Estel
Elven Warrior

Man all this talk of JKR killin people off, why can't it just be happy? Oh well that wouldn't make a good story.
Speaking of good story, does anyone think there needs to be a little more of a love story in this next book? I think so, Harry's what, 15 now? Something like that?
Also, does anyone know how long the new books supposed to be? I'd heard short, 200 or 300 pages, but one of my friends told me its now supposed to be longer than the last one, and its supposed to be over 1000 pages? Gosh I hope so! Maybe that might explain why its taking so long???
Old 11-05-2002, 09:13 AM   #3
Beleg Strongbow
Truest of Friends

Location: Pennsylvania, but I have a vacation home in the Westfarthing.
well... cedric's out of the way now... time for Harry to make his move on Cho but you just know he'll botch it (at first) then they'll get along.

I wouldn't mind a huge book. It'd give us something to read while we wait another five years for book 6 .

Aure Entuleva!

John Kerry for President!
Beleg Strongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 12:35 PM   #4
Dunadan
The Quite Querulous Quendi

Template for Books 5-7

No need to wait, here's book 5:
Chap 1 Bizarre weirdness interrupts summer in Muggledom
Chap 2 Term starts with Hagrid-oriented plot whisperings, usually introducing this book's New Character
Chap 3 Contrived Ministry shenanigans to account for everyone acting as if the last book never happened
Chap 4 More leaden hints of impending Malfoy-based badness plus some emotional stuff about Harry's parents
Chap 5 Quidditch match, Harry wins but ends up in hospital
Chap 6 Christmas, spiced up with further badness hints
Chap 7 Ron and Hermione fail to get off with each other yet again while Malfoy engineers further badness
Chap 8 Seemingly irreversible horror happens to main protagonist
Chap 9 Hagrid stuff
Chap 10 Seemingly irreversible horror is reversed
Chap 11 New Character is unmasked as hopeless dolt/ hero / Voldemort (delete as appropriate)
Chap 12 Harry, now a prefect, catches Voldemort smoking in the toilets. Voldemort puts his head down the bog and starts flushing.
Chap 13 Harry defeats the entire evil and ugly conspiracy and Griffindor wins the house cup.
Dumbledore dispenses glib aphorism and they all live happily ever after until the next term.
Dunadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 01:41 PM   #5
Sween
im quite stupid

lmao. they are a bit formalic. I think dumbeldores a baddie in the end. Only person voldermort was scared of?????? sounds a bit fishey to me.

i need to read book 4 first damned sisters got it at uni
Old 11-05-2002, 01:48 PM   #6
Dunadan

Quote:
Originally posted by Sween
i need to read book 4 first damned sisters got it at uni
Just sellotape the first three together and you've got it.
Old 11-05-2002, 02:18 PM   #7
Beleg Strongbow
Truest of Friends

Isn't Dumbledore going bad like Gandalf going over to the darkside, like someone already said?

Or is it more like Saruman?

You decide.

Aure Entuleva!

Old 11-05-2002, 04:53 PM   #8
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Why can't you think on a better ending for Dumbledore? like a reguler death!?!?
Quote:
originally posted by Dunadan
Just sellotape the first three together and you've got it.
I guess you are from the ones that don't like HP. I don't think the 4th book was expected.
Old 11-06-2002, 05:16 AM   #9
Dunadan

Actually, I do like Harry Potter. In particular, Rowling works more depth into her characters and themes to do with growing up, dealing with loss, isolation and conflict.

However, I got a bit frustrated with the plots, which are a bit like Famous Five meets Scooby Doo. Maybe the last 3 books will attempt to deviate from this format. I suspect (and hope) this is why it's taking so long...
Old 11-06-2002, 12:51 PM   #10
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

I've heard that the Order of the Pheonix is going to be as long as or longer than The Goblet of Fire. It will also be coming out during the holidays this year at some point. The earlier date and the length make up somewhat for the long wait.

You know what, I think that I would cease to like the books if Dumbledor turned out bad. Particularly the last one, which would be the one in which some of the truth about Dumbledor will be revealed. Revelations about Snape's past are likely to come much sooner, though.

Draco Malfoy might not die. He has a lot in common with how Snape used to be, and Snape is a very interesting character that really spices up the books.

I rather doubt that Dumbledor is bad. One reason is this, that J.K. Rowling said that he was her favorite character, and I don't think she's that wicked .
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 01:14 PM   #11
Sween
im quite stupid

i think out of all the characters (ive only read the first 3 so be nice) snape seems like hes gonna end up been a nice guy. i mean he owes it to james to protect his son even if he dont like it. He obvosly had the hots for lilly. does it ever get revealed why voldermort is scared of dumbledore?

got the feeling that draco will still be around in the last book where as we all know harrys just gonna save everyones ass and we will learn why he can defeat voldermort (love charm my ass)

i could see hagrid dieing (what more is there to do with him?)

NEED TO READ THE FORTH BOOK
Old 11-06-2002, 03:53 PM   #12
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Sween
i think out of all the characters (ive only read the first 3 so be nice) snape seems like hes gonna end up been a nice guy. i mean he owes it to james to protect his son even if he dont like it. He obvosly had the hots for lilly. does it ever get revealed why voldermort is scared of dumbledore?
I don't think that Snape necessarily was in love with Lily. As a matter of a fact, considering her kind nature, he probably hated her as well. In these books, generally the good guys like other good guys and the mean people like other mean people. (Shrugs) Not that I can understand what the meanies see in each other .

It hasn't yet been revealed why Voldemort is so scared of Dumbledor, but I'm quite confident that it will be eventually.
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2002, 08:39 AM   #13
Beleg Strongbow
Truest of Friends

Goblet of Fire:
Quote:
Looking at the cold expression on Dumbledore's face, Harry understood why some had said Dumbledore was the only wizard Voldemort had ever feared.
Or something like that

Aure Entuleva!

Old 11-08-2002, 03:59 PM   #14
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Yeah, I remember. That was scary, to think how this nice guy can be lethal sometimes.
Old 11-09-2002, 12:04 AM   #15
Aeryn
Bank'ress of Sith

About the comment that the book 5 is supposed to be bigger than book 4, it isn't true, Rowling said in a interview that it will INDEED be shorter than book 4, but it is taken a long time for 300 pages isn't it? So did she lie?

This one is deactivated, I think.
Aeryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2002, 05:58 AM   #16
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

I think it supposed to be the shorter until now... 200 pages, or something like that. I didn't think that it would be longer than the forth.
Old 11-09-2002, 09:25 AM   #17
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Apparently (according to an interview with JKR a few days ago) the new book has 38 chapters. I don't know how that translates into pages...
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2002, 04:08 PM   #18
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

In the forth there are 37 chapters. That probably means that the fifth will be long too.
Old 11-09-2002, 06:28 PM   #19
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Location: My mother would say somewhere between the adult mystery section and the YA sci-fi
I heard something about her attempting to finish the books this year cuz she's pregnant. Snape does seem to be endind up a nice guy isn't he. The current opinion is that he's mean to the Gryfindors because everyone spoils them. Rowling better hurry up with the next boook or she'll be overcome by fanfiction writers demanding the matchups. I mean have you seen some of the matchups? I think my favorite ones right now are h/d and hr/r
"The Astels are an emotional people. They cry at the drop of a handkerchief. Their culture is much like that of Pelosia. They're extremely devot and invincibly backward. It's been demonstrated to them over an over that serfdom is an archaic, inefficent institution, but they maintain it anyway--largely at the connivance of the serfs thmselves. Astellian nobles don't exert themselves in any way, so they have no concept of human endurance. The serfs take advantage of that outrageously. Astellian serfs have been known to collapse from sheer exhauston at the very mention of such unpleasant words as 'reaping' or 'digging'."

-----------------------------------------------

“They lost him?!” Lupin asked , amazed. “Voldemort has been after Harry for 15 years, and then he misplaces him?!”
TwirlingString is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2002, 06:41 PM   #20
Sween
im quite stupid

having just finished reading the forth book (in 2 days i might add ) i felt it was defintally the best book and the ending just leaves you gasping for more. so many questions to be answered.
do we know what the next book is about exctally?

Its clear that a few things have been set in motion though. Hadgrid has obvosly been sent as an envoy to the giants, sirus has been sent to round up all his buddies to probably protect the school, snapes role is obvosly been long in the planning as he asked if he was prepared and quite what that is i dont know seems a bit fool hardy to sent him in against the death eaters. Possiably sent him to azaban to get out some of voldermorts supporters and bring them to hogwarts?

pretty obvious that the minestry isnt going to do much about voldermort and by the looks of it only harrys got the beating of him.

pretty clear that hogwarts is gonna become some kind of safe haven and probably be under seige come the end of the books.