Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Harry Potter
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-18-2001, 11:30 PM   #1
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

I agree that pretty much all of Tater's complaints are valid, though I didn't mind Dumbledore. (They cut out the "I'd like to say a few words" line! Argh!)

The thing I really had a HUGE problem with was the flashback to Voldy striking down Lily Potter. That did not work for me. It was too overt, and it was too cozy. I've always kind of envisioned that scene as FAR darker in tone... half the Potter house in ruins and everything... not some cozy bedroom straight out of a cheesy Chris Columbus film. Oh wait, what am I saying...
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2001, 11:42 PM   #2
Renille
Elven Lady of Speed-posting

That's exactly what I thought, IronParrot! And didn't the book say James Potter was killed first, anyhow? Where was he? Plus, in the book, it said Harry just remembered a lot of green light. It wasn't until the third book that he remembered anything more...so I think they should have kept us waiting until Harry remembers for himself.

(By the way...there's a perfectly good reason they didn't show Hermione's cat, Crookshanks...because he isn't introduced until the Prisoner of Azkaban.)
(from Seussical the Musical. Listen to it...watch it...really.)
Renille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2001, 12:59 AM   #3
Bregalad
Elven Warrior

Hiya everybody! Me again. About that dragon, I'm sure they wanted to cut the whole thing out for time constraints but they couldn't. It does tell you a lot about Hagrid, that dragon, but that's not why it's necessary. It's Hagrid's rather amazing procurement of the dragon egg that sets the light bulb off in Harry's head that someone at Hogworts is quite capable of getting past fluffy and down to the Sorcerer's Stone. Now they could have cut the dragon completely, and made up some other reason for Harry to figure it out, but what's the point of that?
Besides, it was a cute little thing and it made me laugh when it burnt Hagrids Beard off!
Hobbit, I also really noticed that there wasn't enough Draco, but I think the rivalry is still very apparent, so I didn't miss it much. I think with the next movie they won't need so much exposition, so we'll get more storyline.
Tater, I'm glad you share my Alan Rickman enthusiasm! And I agree that Dame Maggie Smith and Robbie Coltrain were excelent as well. And talk about a good bit of costuming! They did an excellent and subtle job of making Robbie Coltrain look huge!

I can see why there isn't much of Hedwig, although they should have at least mentioned her name. But to be honest, we don't see her because she doesn't have much to do. Harry never gets mail, except the broom. And it's Hedwig's absence that reminds us where Harry came from and that he doesn't have the same kind of home life as the others.

This post property of Entmoot.

Last edited by Bregalad : 11-19-2001 at 01:02 AM.
Bregalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2001, 12:02 PM   #4
Darth Tater
The man

My enthusiasm about Alan Rickman is quite different from yours thankyouverymuch!
Darth Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2001, 12:11 PM   #5
fireworks19
Elven Warrior

I didn't like it all that much. I was good, but could have been A LOT better. The camera stuff that Tater mentioned, for one.
Harry had blue eyes.
The Sorting Hat did not sing.
The staircase was NOT supposed to move to get Harry, Ron and Hermione to the third floor hallway. They got lost, got scared, got chased by the cat.
The effects for the Quidditch and other flying things could have been a lot better.

All in all, I was a bit disappointed. I had my hopes up...=(
Old 11-19-2001, 06:51 PM   #6
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

Quote:
Originally posted by fireworks19
I didn't like it all that much. I was good, but could have been A LOT better. The camera stuff that Tater mentioned, for one.
Harry had blue eyes.
The Sorting Hat did not sing.
The staircase was NOT supposed to move to get Harry, Ron and Hermione to the third floor hallway. They got lost, got scared, got chased by the cat.
The effects for the Quidditch and other flying things could have been a lot better.

All in all, I was a bit disappointed. I had my hopes up...=(
Ok, and I thought that I was being to critical. Everything that I mentioned actually effected the story in some way..and um, none of what you said did. Are you saying that in the movie Harry had blue eyes, but not in the book? Or the other way around? I'm too lazy to look it up. But either way, how does this effect the movie's mood or plot in any way??? It doesn't. Eye color matters not. Especially if even I didn't nottice it
As for the Sorting Hat, I also notticed that his little singing number was cut. Yes, in the book it helped set the mood and all. But in the movie, it would not work. Everyone would burst out laughing if the hat started to sing. Really, think about it. What I say is true. It would completely ruin the seriousness of the scene. So they completely altered the sorting hat...for better or worse? Well neither, the hat was fine. No complaints there.

As for the Stairs moving them up to the 3rd floor. Yes, I notticed this too. It is no big deal. Whether they got lost and found themselves on the 3rd floor, or the stairs moved them there, makes NO DIFFERENCE. None what so ever. They also cut out Peeves the ghost who scared and bothered them a lot..that annoyed me, but it is no big deal.

The Quiditch game was amazing. What are you talking about? Same flying effects as any other witch/wizzard movie..... But really, the quiditch game was really impressive. Too bad they only showed one game. Sorry, I don't mean to be so critical of your post, fireworks19, but I just wanted to point those things out. Those extremely tiny cuts should not have affected your enjoyment of the film. lol

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2001, 07:01 PM   #7
Darth Tater
The man

What Tristan said, with the exception that the cutting of Peeves totally made sense, and the sfx in Quidditch weren't great, but were fine.
Old 11-19-2001, 09:38 PM   #8
sonicdolphin
Sapling

comon.. cut them some slack

comon guys.. cut them some slack..
they did an awsome job..

it was 2 hours and 40 minutes long... if any longer they mighta put a lotta ppl to sleep..

QUIDDITCH was awsome! the efects weren't bad at all.

And all movies don't stay exactly true to the book.. so i tihnk they did a good job.

my only complaint... DUDLEY!~
HE SHOULDA BEEN 5 TIMES AS FAT. ggggeeeezzzzzzz....

anyway.. the thing is.. it broke box office records.. so dat is cool.
sonicdolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2001, 09:45 PM   #9
Darth Tater
The man

Very few ppl in this thread are complaining about the cuts. I think they stayed too true to the events of the book and in so doing lost the magic. And yes, Dudley wasn't fat enough.
Old 11-19-2001, 09:56 PM   #10
HOBBIT

Well, you don't want to humilate the actor

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Old 11-19-2001, 11:11 PM   #11
Bregalad
Elven Warrior

I loved the sorting hat! And I agree with you, Hobbit, in the book it was fine that the hat sang, but in the movie it might have just ended up silly. As it stands I was completely charmed by the sorting hat and I thought they did a brilliant job of making it have a face but still look like a hat.
I think the staircase thing was just another time constraint. Moving things along so it didn't end up longer than 2:40. After all, it is a kids film. But I for one would love to see the four hour version, I don't think I'd be bored one minute!

LOL Tater, of course our Alan Rickman enthusiasm isn't exactly the same, you being a man and all. But I think I'm pretty objective about his acting tallent, despite my huge crush on him!

This post property of Entmoot.
Bregalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2001, 12:20 PM   #12
fireworks19
Elven Warrior

If Gone With the Wind can be for freaking hours long, Harry Potter can! =D
Old 11-20-2001, 05:59 PM   #13
HOBBIT

Gone with the wind had an intermission

Old 11-20-2001, 06:01 PM   #14
sonicdolphin
Sapling

Length

DDDAANNNNGGG..

Think about how long Book 4 will be?

And hobbit. (tristan. i dink dat is you) who cares about humiliating the actor. it is for the enjoyment of the ppl. hehehe

Anyway... Will they make movies fast enough to make the age of all the actors and actresses to co0rrespond to the books?

And can JK. Rowling make books fast enough to keep up with the rate they are gonna make movies?

HMMMNN....

sonicdolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2001, 06:13 PM   #15
HOBBIT

Yeah, its been over 2 years (really? at least 1 year) since the last HP book. Yeah, think about the 4th book. Its like 3x as long as the first....how are they going to abridge that? Maybe a two parter.

Old 11-21-2001, 08:24 AM   #16
poppy
Hobbit

I have to say i love HP and even though they were written with kids in mind isnt that how the Hobbit started out i loved the film and cant wait for the next one
poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2001, 03:59 PM   #17
gdl96
the greg the admin

I never read the books, but I saw the movie yesturday. A very enjoyable, entertaining movie. Nothing special, but easily better than most other movies out right now.

Is it just me, or is the Sorceror's stone a ripoff of the One Ring? But then again, what do I know? I haven't even read LOTR.
gdl96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2001, 04:39 PM   #18
poppy
Hobbit

nice one Will you be going to see the LOTR movie
poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2001, 07:21 PM   #19
gdl96
the greg the admin

Of course! I'm also gonna finish reading FOTR before, too!
gdl96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2001, 08:35 PM   #20
Renille
Elven Lady of Speed-posting

Good idea!

I saw Harry for the second time on Friday. It was even better the second time around. (I love the wizard chess thing...) The only bad thing was that they didn't show either of the previews I really wanted to see again...Lord of the Rings and Star Wars, of course. But the actual movie was still great!
(from Seussical the Musical. Listen to it...watch it...really.)
Renille is offline   Reply With Quote