Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Harry Potter
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-16-2006, 04:30 PM   #61
jammi567
I'm Eru, and lord of Arda.

in a cage seriously, post a real question.
Vote for me, Jammi567, in the 2008 Entmoot elections, and you will get many of the things we need: free, unbiased, newspapers; a strong alliance with many countries, so that war doesn't start over someone breaking their nose on a doorframe; etc, etc

This forum is lonely. It's new and confused, and doesn't have many friends yet. Help today by joining for free, posting, and posting this message and link in your sig. So please, join and help make it feel welcomed and loved.
jammi567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 04:36 PM   #62
Serenoli
Head of the Department for the Invention and Propagation of Sugar, Spice and Everything Nice!

You're wrong. Really. Try again.

Join the Harry Potter discussion, click here
Serenoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 05:37 PM   #63
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenoli
the draught of living death... they make it in slughorn's first class, and im pretty sure its mentioned in the first book.
Horace Slughorn does not appear in book one!

The question was WHAT WAS THE FIRST POTION MENTIONED IN THE BOOK

SNAPE TAUGHT POTIONS IN THE FIRST BOOK.

The first potion MENTIONED is in the statement : "for your information, Potter, asphodel and wormwood make a sleeping potion......." said by Snape, IN THE FIRST BOOK.

Last edited by Spock : 08-16-2006 at 05:38 PM.
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 02:31 AM   #64
Serenoli
Head of the Department for the Invention and Propagation of Sugar, Spice and Everything Nice!

Spock... cool down! Of course Slughorn does not appear in the first book.

I was talking about jammi's hint that the potion first mentioned in the series, was also made by the trio in book 6. If you read just a few words more, you'll find Snape said "for your information, Potter, asphodel and wormwood make a sleeping potion so powerful it is known as the Draught of Living Death."

So, the Draught of Living Death was the first potion mentioned in the books; and also was made by Harry's class in 6th year when they had Slughorn. Now, you gave an indirect reference to it, I gave the potion its name. Upto jammi to decide who gets to post next. Of course, an easier way would be for you to just tell me where Bungy the Budgie lived, that way you get to post next!

Last edited by Serenoli : 08-17-2006 at 02:34 AM.
Old 08-17-2006, 04:32 AM   #65
jammi567

serenoli is definatly, definatly right.
Vote for me, Jammi567, in the 2008 Entmoot elections, and you will get many of the things we need: free, unbiased, newspapers; a strong alliance with many countries, so that war doesn't start over someone breaking their nose on a doorframe; etc, etc

This forum is lonely. It's new and confused, and doesn't have many friends yet. Help today by joining for free, posting, and posting this message and link in your sig. So please, join and help make it feel welcomed and loved.
Old 08-17-2006, 07:54 AM   #66
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenoli
Spock... cool down! Of course Slughorn does not appear in the first book.

I was talking about jammi's hint that the potion first mentioned in the series, was also made by the trio in book 6. If you read just a few words more, you'll find Snape said "for your information, Potter, asphodel and wormwood make a sleeping potion so powerful it is known as the Draught of Living Death."

So, the Draught of Living Death was the first potion mentioned in the books; and also was made by Harry's class in 6th year when they had Slughorn. Now, you gave an indirect reference to it, I gave the potion its name. Upto jammi to decide who gets to post next. Of course, an easier way would be for you to just tell me where Bungy the Budgie lived, that way you get to post next!
I QUOTED FROM THE BOOK I HAVE, US EDITION. SNAPE FIRST MENTION IS THE SLEEPING POTION, WHICH IS "KNOWN AS DOLD"....so the first MENTION is a sleeping potion.....then the name of that sleeping potion........
I give up
language and definition with multicultures involved is too frustrating.

Last edited by Spock : 08-17-2006 at 11:18 AM.
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 10:08 AM   #67
jammi567

but the sleeping potion is the dold, so they're one and the same.

Old 08-17-2006, 01:01 PM   #68
Serenoli

yes... anyway, dold is what jammi had in mind, so despite all the technicalities, its the right answer. There are probably many other sleeping potions, dont u know?

Anyway, spock, we all know wat the correct answer is now. lets drop that question, and move on. Either someone tries finding out where Bungy lives, or sum1 thinks of a better question to pose the public. Yes?

Old 08-17-2006, 01:07 PM   #69
jammi567

In a tree.

Old 08-17-2006, 01:15 PM   #70
Serenoli

actually, either tree or cage might be true, I wouldn't know. When I say, where does Bungy live, I'm thinking more in terms of an address...

Old 08-17-2006, 01:18 PM   #71
jammi567

How about posting a harry potter question.

Old 08-17-2006, 01:28 PM   #72
Serenoli

well, its in the Harry Potter books, hence it counts... an avid reader shud have picked it up. Give it some time, someone is bound to know.

Oh, and Spock I hadnt noticed the invisible line saying you gave up. Sorry for harping on even after that...

Old 08-17-2006, 01:34 PM   #73
jammi567

really. where in the books?

Old 08-17-2006, 11:55 PM   #74
Serenoli

aaah! that would be telling!

Ok, here's a hint. Its in one of the last 3 books of the series.

Old 08-18-2006, 09:07 AM   #75
sun-star
Lady of Letters

The Five Feathers in Barnsley.
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 12:31 AM   #76
Serenoli

Yugo, sun-star!

Old 08-19-2006, 05:54 AM   #77
jammi567

An actual hp question this time please.

Old 08-19-2006, 10:25 AM   #78
sun-star
Lady of Letters

What's Gilderoy Lockhart's favourite colour?
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 11:13 AM   #79
durinsbane2244
Dreamweaver

lavender. (why was that not a valid question before?)
And we are the dreamers of dreams,
Wandering by lone sea-breakers,
And sitting by desolate streams;
World-losers and world-forsakers,
On whom the pale moon gleams:
Yet we are the movers and shakers
Of the world for ever, it seems.
----------------
Shanti, shanti, shantih...
durinsbane2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 04:13 AM   #80
jammi567

because it wasn't in the books *picks up hammer, and tries to knock sense into durinsbane*.