Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 02:55 PM   #42
klatukatt
Entmoot's Drunken Uncle

I saw it at midnight last night.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

LOVE!

I am a villian fancier at heart and these villians are GREAT!!!
klatukatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 08:37 PM   #43
durinsbane2244
Dreamweaver

i just got home from it, and it kicks ass, but, like all book films, it's good, but far from the story, though if i use that with my, shall we say, "thicker" friends, they shall mock me....
And we are the dreamers of dreams,
Wandering by lone sea-breakers,
And sitting by desolate streams;
World-losers and world-forsakers,
On whom the pale moon gleams:
Yet we are the movers and shakers
Of the world for ever, it seems.
----------------
Shanti, shanti, shantih...
durinsbane2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 09:24 AM   #44
sun-star
Lady of Letters

I thought it was really good, but as always they had to miss loads out, and then they add in long random invented bits instead... Great special effects, of course, some very cool villians (David Tennant!) and impressive set-piece scenes like the Yule Ball and Quidditch World Cup. Daniel Radcliffe and Emma Watson still can't act, though.

And it's so scary
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Old 11-19-2005, 04:38 PM   #45
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

I'm surprised I haven't heard from more Mooters yet on this movie!

I'll probably see it Monday with my oldest son - we both want to see it, and I need to "vet" it for the two younger ones. I have a feeling they'll need to wait for the release to video, though, and that handy "fast-forward" feature.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 04:58 PM   #46
klatukatt
Entmoot's Drunken Uncle

You want to hear something?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

villians! oooooooooooooooooooooh goooooooood!

This movie will turn many people into PVFs* and then we shall TAKE OVER THE NET!

*(PVFs = Pervy Villian Fanciers)
klatukatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 06:23 PM   #47
Pytt
The Supreme Lord of The Northern Eagles

I saw it friday night. It was very very good. The best film yet. But lots of cool stuff is replaced or deleted, but it have been that way in the previous movies as well.

But the Qudditch World Cup Arena! MAN! I fell in love with that! Amazing <3

The film was quite scary. On the graveyard and stuff..
Old 11-20-2005, 05:59 AM   #48
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Apparently, there was no Quidditch at the Quidditch World Cup.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 12:55 PM   #49
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

I just saw i tlast night....I loved it! It more than made up for the last movie IMO! I have plans to see it again. Even though they cut out stuff, I thought that it went really well...it kept moving along an I never really got bored with it. great movie! I am also a villan lover so it was cool to see Voldemort back although IMO he's not quite evil looking enough...
Arien the Maia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 01:04 PM   #50
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
Apparently, there was no Quidditch at the Quidditch World Cup.
Indeed not - they showed the build-up, including the teams coming out, and then cut to the Weasleys celebrating. There were some odd bits of continuity which I'm sure would never have made sense if you hadn't read the book. For example, it went trio travelling on Hogwarts Express -> students watching Durmstrang and Beauxbatons arriving -> Dumbledore announcing that new students were joining them for the Triwizard Cup

It's interesting, because it was only after I'd seen it and thought about it that I realised how much had been cut out - like Sirius living in the cave, Rita Skeeter as an illegal animagus, all mention of house elves, etc. Those are huge points, but I think it's a mark of how well the film worked as a film that I didn't notice they were missing at the time...

Watching it at midnight was so cool though. It was just the really keen HP fans, so there was lots of audience reaction - including cheers when any scene showed a shot of Oxford
Old 11-20-2005, 06:31 PM   #51
Master'sBaneSwiftSnowmane
Elven Warrior

I'm going to copy and paste what I thought of the movie from another website. I'm also going to paste my coments to some things people have said on that website, I'll to clear it up, but if I don't make any sense go ahead and ask!

This was an excellent movie. Three thumbs way, way up for the new director and three thumbs way, way up for the scirpt writers and three thumbs way, way up for the actors. It was hilariously funny, but not in an unreal way, it seemed like a group of friends hanging out, and you could really picture yourself saying some of those things to your friends and then having a good laugh about it. You know, minus the magic and all.

A few dissappointing aspects: Sirius was not in the movie as much as I would have liked. The triwizard earnings weren't mentioned, so it'll be interesting to see how they set up Gred and Forge's joke shop. Also, Rita Skeeter was in the movie but nothing about her beetle form. Oh well. Irksome, but I can almost understand, the avoidance of the marauders. They weren't elaborated on in the third movie, so who could expect them to in the fourth? The script writers didn't really need to elborate any way because of the change in the Barty Crouch plot. But really, in the grand scheme of the books, how important is the sub-plot of the marauders? It seemed that instead of magic, Harry used his physical strength more. The challenges didn't seem to focus on the champion's magical ability, but rather the champion's ability to run really fast. Mrytle in this movie was little creey. Okay, a lot creepy. "When the other boy was done, there were almost no bubbles left. *peers into inappropriate place*" The Hungarian Horntail wasn't a Dragon (a beast with four legs, two wings, and spits fire), but rather a Wyvern (a beast that is cousin to the dragon but has only two back legs and stands rather like a chicken on them and two wings with claw-like apendages, the Wyvern behaves remarkably like a bat in it's use of its wings.). Dumbldore didn't seem up to par, then again, the script writers could have been gearing him more toward the sixth book and if that's the plan, then I'm ok with it.

Enough complaints though, I looooooooved the soundtrack. (Random, but who cares?) Again, the humour was just amazing, it was so artfully done. They balanced it with the plot so well that it wasn't glaringly obivous that you were laughing at something when underneath you know that Harry is about to face the most scary thing that he has yet faced. Personally, I enjoyed the way the male actors looked. And Neville, my my, you have grown. Sarah thought his dancing was cute, and I agree...but I thought it was more amusing than anything else. And really, don't we all love knowing that "Viktor is more a physical kind of guy"? Harry's look after she said that was great.

For me, this was a very emotional movie. I even cried a bit. I believe that everyone captured that sadness and even anger that was very present at the end of the book. Now, while being funny the movie was still as true to the plot as it could be. Some things had to be left, but none of it was so awful that I can begrudge this new director his kudos. The acting in this movie also improved greatly. I am very happy about that....other developments as well *naughty look*.

What can I say? I'm just a 16 year old girl driven by horomones. I also know that in another thread I've made a name for myself on being shallow and seeing the movie just for the male actors. While that has been a large part of this post, I hope that you will look past it and see that during the movie I was taking in far more than Daniel Radcliff with his shirt off.

If you think about it, if Harry hadn't been so noble, Cedric (who was very attractive) would still be alive. If Harry hadn't played the hero, Sirius would still be alive. It's Harry's tragic flaw. He loses everyone he cares about and it hurts him, which is a sort of handicap. Whereas Voldemort loses people, but he doesn't care because he only focuses on what they can give him and if they die they have served their purpose and so be it. That way of life limits his point of view, not allowing him to see everything that he should, that is Voldemort's handicap. The question is, which will win out? The man handicaped by his nobility, his ability to love greatly, or the man handicaped by his hate, his inability to see and recognize love and the choices it makes. Then again, is love a handicap? Is the inability to love a handicap? I suppose JKR will give us her version of the answer in the seventh and final installment of the Harry Potter books.

Dissertation of Harry Potter by Sarah and Jennifer (<----Inside joke. Also, the last paragraph are just a few random thoughts, read them if you want...comment if you want, I just needed to put them somewhere so that my head wouldn't implode. The internet is my pensieve.)

(Someone complained about the dragon scene being too long): The Dragon scene(which should be called the Wyvern scene) was made longer because it was the first task. It was the first time the viewer gets to see the kind of danger that Harry is really in. I think they made it longer to emulate that a little. The special effects were very nice too.
(Someone complained about how the casting for these two characters was poorly done): I think Fleur and Cho were such iffy characters because they had all of three lines. You also have to keep in mind that Cho was developed a lot more in the third novel and so, should have been in the third movie. As she was not in the third movie at all, I hold nothing against this Director as far as Cho is concerned. I thought that they did a very nice job with Fleur. She's important, so they show a fair amount of her...but she's not essential to any future plot (I am not counting Bill getting married as part of the Harry vs. Voldemort plot and that is what is essential) so lets not dwell on her. That's the feel I got anyway. As far as Cho is concerned, I wish they had done more with her, but again she isn't really essential, so why do I want to see an hour and half of her?
(People didn't like the Lord Moldy Shorts scene): Voldemort was done well in my opinion. With a book made movie some exceptions must be made and if JKR didn't like him, she would have said so.
(People missed Dobby, and I did too but I'd rather leave him out than sit through another hour of movie): Well, again, I wouldn't consider Dobby essential. Yeah, I miss him...but I'm losing no sleep.
(Someone said that the Quidditch World Cup wasn't in the movie at all): They most certainly had the Quidditch World Cup. They didn't show the game, but if they had wouldn't that simply make people say, "Why did they spend that much extra time on something that's not important?" (Was referring back to a persons earlier comment about the Wyvern scene.)
(Self explainitory): Come on, SPEW? I think it's obvious why they left that out. It was not important.
(Missing Winky now): They didn't have Winky because they changed the Barty Crouch plot. It was shorter and yet still got the point across. I'd rather them do that than sit there another hour to watch exposition of a non-essential character.
(Missing Ludo): Again, was Ludo all that important? I never really like him in the book anyway.
(Complainging about Moody's leg being metallic and not wooden): Moody having a wooden leg in the book made him sound like a pirate, very badass. But if you had seen a wooden leg in this setting it wouldn't have looked nearly as cool as the metal one, for all of the eight seconds that it was shown. (I do miss that line...but they still did Moody very well.) "Constant Vigilance!" Was it important? Did he still scare the pee out of the students? No, it wasn't and Yes, he did. So I don't really mind. It was true to the book as far as emotions go.
(Missing funny descriptions): The descriptions in the book about people at the World Cup were hilarious, but you'd have another half an hour of unimportant information to do that in a movie. The well-done humour of the rest of the movie made up for it.
(Complaining about the corny entrance of the two schools...I didn't care for it, but its ok because I thought that it was hilariously stupid): They had to make the intrance of the Beubaxtons and Drumstrang scenes interesting. Granted, they could have done a better job...but I'd rather have that than just see them walk in. What a downer that would have been. Also, even though the entrances were rather...exaggerated...I laughed and half when I saw it.
(Hm, complaints about Dumbldore and I'll post some things about this next so that this doesn't get too long): Agree about Dumbldore, and I did defend him in the other thread.
(Complimenting Barty Crouch Jr.): Agree about BCJr. Except the whole tongue thing. But, that was the movie's way of identifying him without the marauder's map. (Can't believe no one's said anything about the absence of that yet.)
(Talk of the Death Eaters...): The Death Eaters hoods looked like black KKK hoods. The masks weren't what I expected and Voldemort shouldn't have taken them off. Other than that I liked it.
(Missing Sirius): Sirius was left out a bit too much, but again, he's not all that essential. He's basically just an emotional upheaval for Harry in the next books, and you can always represent that in ways that will still stay true to the characters.
"Not only did my encounters with voters confirm the fundamental decency of the American people, they also reminded me that at the core of the American experience are a set of ideals that continue to stir our collective conscience; a common set of values that bind us together despite our differences; a running thread of hope that makes our improbable experiment in democracy work..." Barack Obama, The Audacity of Hope
Master'sBaneSwiftSnowmane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 06:40 PM   #52
Elven Warrior

Sorry about the length of my posts...I know its annoying having to read all that or even to skip to the vital points to move on to the next post, sorry.

This is about Dumbldore in this movie. (People were throwing dirty sock at the actor...but its not his fault! Blame it on the casting director.)

I don't think that he was the best choice for the character, but maybe instead of throwing dirty socks at him, you should mail in your suggestions for a different actor to the director?
In the thrid movie, I blame Dumbldore's apparent stupidity on the script writers. I absolutely abhored the way that he was portrayed in that movie, but I do not blame it on him.
In the fourth movie, (I've posted something like this in my review of the movie) I don't really like how he was done, but I think a lot of that was geared more for his attitude and actions in the sixth book. Its all well and good to slowly develop a character in a book, but quite another in a movie. I understand that in movies some liberties must be taken and even though I don't really like this new Dumbldore I can't think of a better actor that fits the description, i.e. older, perferrably holds himself with a more noble stance, much like that of Dumbldore's. Ian Meckellan(sp?) possibly? Or perhaps you'd like that Sean Connery accent for Dumbldore? (Was being sarcastic when I suggested both of them.)

(People were making comments and I had to get my two cents in...sorry. Also, this is just how I interpreted these things.) Dumbldore isn't a grandfatherly character though. In the four novels he purposely distances himself from Harry because he knows things about this boy that the boy himself doesn't even know. Also, I think he distances himself because he honestly cares for Harry and he understands the danger of openly caring for this boy. Harry however, sees Dumbldore as a sort of Deity. He is this wise old man who seems to know everything and that emotion stops Harry from feeling as though Dumbldore is his pseudo-grandfather.
In the next two novels, however, Dumbldore loses his Deity status to Harry. He becomes an old man who happens to be very powerful. Harry's channeling of Voldemort's anger in the fifth novel and Dumbldore's furthering distancing of Harry stops any relationship development the two could have had.
In the sixth novel Harry and Dumbldore become friends. Not close friends, the age difference, the relationship in other books and so on kept that from happening. And, really, Dumbldore is just trying to help Harry grow in the sense of his powers and understanding of magic.
If the headmaster was ever Harry's pseudo-grandfather, it was only in his mind. To Harry he was someone wise he could look to for advice on magic and Voldemort then eventually in Harry's mind Dumbldore became more of a friend.
You say in the third movie that Dumbldore was ok? He seemed very dumb in the third movie. Specific example: he hits Ron on his injured foot. Atleast Dumbldore wasn't dumb in this movie. I understand that he wouldn't be so dramatic in the books, but this is a movie and sometimes to get your point across you have to change the characters some.
The old Dumbldore was only slightly better. That Dumbldore (pardon what I'm about to say as I realize its and insult to his memory) looked like he was about to fall over and die. He didn't have any of the energy that Dumbldore had in the books. True, he was more to the character but he was sooooo dull and boring.
"Not only did my encounters with voters confirm the fundamental decency of the American people, they also reminded me that at the core of the American experience are a set of ideals that continue to stir our collective conscience; a common set of values that bind us together despite our differences; a running thread of hope that makes our improbable experiment in democracy work..." Barack Obama, The Audacity of Hope
Old 11-20-2005, 06:51 PM   #53
inked
Elf Lord

Qick review: it was okay for a flick. Just missed 60% of the text without allusion. But hey, would they make a 16 hour movie? Not even for Tolkien!
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 06:59 PM   #54
Elven Warrior

Haha, good point. I don't think I'd sit through a 16 hour movie, not even for Tolkien. The movie is also on a budget, and that has a lot to do with what the directors and producers do and don't cut.
Old 11-20-2005, 07:38 PM   #55
Lord Choc Obo
Elven Warrior

16 hour movie??? BRING IT ON imagine every HP movie being as long as the extended editions of LOTR (about 240 minutes if I'm correct) that would make a total length of 28 hours, god I'd like that, but yeah, I'm a strange guy
Lord Choc Obo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 10:11 PM   #56
durinsbane2244
Dreamweaver

here's a few points:

ok, quidditch world cup, no quidditch, cool completely vertical seats,

NO VEELA!!!!!

random skipping between tasks, first task changed, and a good glare from ron that made me say, [a bit too loud perhaps, cuz i got the entire theatre laughing,] BUM BUM BUUUUUM after he tells harry to piss off, also i got laughs when he's in bed and i proclaimed; "the wizard's got a beater!' but yes, good fun....
And we are the dreamers of dreams,
Wandering by lone sea-breakers,
And sitting by desolate streams;
World-losers and world-forsakers,
On whom the pale moon gleams:
Yet we are the movers and shakers
Of the world for ever, it seems.
----------------
Shanti, shanti, shantih...
durinsbane2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 05:15 PM   #57
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

I'll post more fully later, as I have to go in a minute. I didn't think it was a brilliant film to be honest. I know if they had tried to fit everything in it would have been about four hours long or rushed, but I'll post my reasons more fully later.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 04:57 AM   #58
Halbarad of the Dunedain
Elven Warrior

I just saw the flick a few hours ago with my girlfriend, she says she likes the third film better but I think I like this one a bit more. The first two films for us seemed a little too... pg... but I guess thats what they were. I have not read a single page of the Harry Potter books and I still had a strong feeling that A LOT of things were left out as usual! As a whole I think this film turned out very good, I loved the Ball scean except for the rock band thing, I would have liked to see the whole thing in a more traditional setting as it started out(not sure of that whole thing is in the book) The trials seemed to be done quite well, the dragon, underwater, and maze sceans were awsome. Two problems I had were one, that Irish/Asian girl Harry was after... who was she? She seemed to be an important character but got no time in the film, was she a more important character in the book? Even in the book? And two, the gravyard scean was "creepy" in a pg kind of way but it seemed a little inconclusive. Unlike with the father = animagus explaination in film 3.... what was the reason for the parents n'such in this film? The whole scean seemed to be missing some info... Anyways, thats my rant on the film, overall good... (A-)

"I want to see pretty people doing ugly things..." ~ Unknown

"Damn it n' such!" ~ Stewie Griffen
Halbarad of the Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 05:17 AM   #59
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halbarad of the Dunedain
Two problems I had were one, that Irish/Asian girl Harry was after... who was she? She seemed to be an important character but got no time in the film, was she a more important character in the book? Even in the book?
That's actually about as much time as she had in the book She's not important except as Harry's (brief) love interest. I thought the actress did quite well considering her miniscule little part, and the fact that so many girls in the fandom claim to hate both her and the character. I never imagined Cho with such a cute Scottish accent either!
Old 11-22-2005, 08:52 AM   #60
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

I can only say I got to see the A&E hr. special on the making of the film and was quite impressed by what I saw. Now I sit patiently (well not always) until the DVD comes out.