Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Harry Potter
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-31-2004, 05:45 AM   #1
Rûdhaglarien
Elven Warrior

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

Well... most of you probably know, the release date is July 16, 2005. You also probably know that J.K. has proclaimed that another major character is going to be killed off. Just for the fun of it, I thought that maybe we could toss around some predictions as to who it might be. (Since my family and I are going to be debating it until the day the book comes out.)

First, let me just say that, after killing off one of my two favourite characters in OotP, she'd better not kill of Lupin in this one.

Now, I think that the character could be someone like one of the Weasleys, a rather innocent character. My Grandmother (who is just as into the books as I am) seems to think that maybe Percy could be trying to redeem himself by saving someone else's life with his. I don't particularly agree, but that's because I can't stand Percy.

My father, on the other hand "has his money on Dumbledore." I don't think, however, that J.K. would kill him off just yet, would she? I mean, she could, but then the last book would be almost completely pointless, considering good ol' Voldie could probably just walk into Hogwarts and kill 'em all off, eh?

Well, there's my two bits for this early morn'. Comments, thoughts?
Old 12-31-2004, 11:49 PM   #2
inked
Elf Lord

Rhudhaglarien,

I must say that thy Dad and me, we agree!
Dumbledore it MUST be!
Only then can JKR King crown Harry!
Who leads the OoTP, reclaiming Sovereignty!
From Voldemort, half-blood principality,
Usurper, governing malignantly!
'Til Harry redeems wizardry -
Fitting end to this septology!
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941

Last edited by inked : 12-31-2004 at 11:51 PM.
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 11:00 AM   #3
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

I think it could be Percy for the reason your grandmother said. I think Dunbledore will die in the last book.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 11:53 AM   #4
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Great poem Inked! But I think Rûdhaglarien is right. If Voldemort was dead Harry would be screwed! Think of how many times Dumbledore has saved him. The prophecy might be about Harry, and though he is brave, talented at magic, and lucky, he's still no match for Voldemort, a powerful and unscrupulous veteran of magical wars.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 04:11 AM   #5
Minielin
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by inked
I don't think JKR will ever have Harry leading the OotP. Dumbledore's not going to die until the last book... and I agree, Rudh, if JKR kills off Lupin I'll have a conniption or something. I'm thinking one of the Weasleys. I really, really hope it's not one of the twins. That'd be too terrible.
In dark green ivy, and among wild larches?"

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum.
Minielin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 01:31 PM   #6
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

I think it could be Snape. Either him or Percy. If Snape dies I think he will die saving Harry from Voldemort, or Voldemort will ind out that Snape is ndercovver for the OotP.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 01:59 PM   #7
Elf Girl
Lurker

I'm SURE it's Victor Krum. He has to get out of the way so Ron and Hermione can get together. He's a good guy and totally dedicated to her,so he can't dump her or turn to the Dark Arts, so he has to die. It'll be a noble death, possibly defending Hermione.

Last edited by Elf Girl : 01-02-2005 at 05:12 PM.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 07:23 PM   #8
Manveru
Elven Warrior

it'll be Harry
Where the shores are sheer and dim
He launched his bark like a silver spark
From the last and lonely sand;
Then on sunlit breath of day's fiery death
He sailed from Westerland
Manveru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 08:50 PM   #9
Rûdhaglarien
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minielin
I don't think JKR will ever have Harry leading the OotP. Dumbledore's not going to die until the last book... and I agree, Rudh, if JKR kills off Lupin I'll have a conniption or something. I'm thinking one of the Weasleys. I really, really hope it's not one of the twins. That'd be too terrible.
Yeah... Dumbledore is definitely gone the last book, though, and one of my friends even has this entire plan where Harry must die in order to kill Voldemort. See, her theory (parody?) is this: Harry's scar is like the One Ring, and Voldemort is drawing power from it just as Sauron did from the Ring, so Harry must be destroyed in order to kill Voldemort. I dunno, I wouldn't be surprised, but I'd be upset.

I hope that it's not one of the twins either! But, it could be. I mean, think about it, they may goof off most of the time, but they're completely dedicated to their family and friends, I wouldn't put it past them to go down defending Harry or something.
Old 07-21-2005, 03:37 AM   #10
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Personally, I think we should be allowed to post spoiler tag-free. After all, one would reasonably expect this thread to have "Half-Blood Prince" spoilers in it after its released.

Quote:
Rhudhaglarien,

I must say that thy Dad and me, we agree!
Dumbledore it MUST be!
From Voldemort, half-blood principality,
Usurper, governing malignantly!
'Til Harry redeems wizardry -
Fitting end to this septology!
But just in case...
The second post in this thread hit the nail on the head! I can't believe Snape killed Dumbledore. If he hadn't, Snape would have died, because of the Unbreakable Vow. He killed Dumbledore to save his own life at best, and murdered him on Voldemort's orders at worst. I was really shocked, I never suspected Snape. I did at the beginning, in the scene at Spinner's End, but then I thought... "Dumbledore trusts him, he must be covering himself as a double agent...."
What if Dumbledore discovered that he was one of the Horcruxes, and wanted Snape to kill him (as someone already suggested)? I've been reading some interesting theories about that and it seems to fit. (That maybe Dumbledore knew the potion was killing him... two skilled Legilimens (sp?) staring at each other...)
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Old 07-21-2005, 10:18 PM   #11
inked
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
Personally, I think we should be allowed to post spoiler tag-free. After all, one would reasonably expect this thread to have "Half-Blood Prince" spoilers in it after its released.

But just in case...
The second post in this thread hit the nail on the head! I can't believe Snape killed Dumbledore. If he hadn't, Snape would have died, because of the Unbreakable Vow. He killed Dumbledore to save his own life at best, and murdered him on Voldemort's orders at worst. I was really shocked, I never suspected Snape. I did at the beginning, in the scene at Spinner's End, but then I thought... "Dumbledore trusts him, he must be covering himself as a double agent...."
What if Dumbledore discovered that he was one of the Horcruxes, and wanted Snape to kill him (as someone already suggested)? I've been reading some interesting theories about that and it seems to fit. (That maybe Dumbledore knew the potion was killing him... two skilled Legilimens (sp?) staring at each other...)
Nurv,

You remembered! I am touched.

Snape is still a good guy. I like your point about two skilled Legilimens staring at each other.

Harry was petrified by Dumbledore to see what happened and not interfere. I think D was dying as a result of the potion drinking. I also think he had unsuccessfully contained one of the protective spells guarding the Horcrux in the ring and was being slowly and agonizingly killed by his containment effort. His request to Snape was to implement a previously designed plan to guard against this possibility and to secure the end of the Horcrux if D had (unintentionally) become a host to that evil in some manner. Thus Snape fulfills an unbreakable vow to D and to Narcissa, but the upshot is he still serves the Order. The difficulty will be in convincing Harry. Though I think his actions at the end, sparing Harry from the others, and instructing Harry in what he MUST needs do before facing Voldemort are very telling; I am not sure Harry sees them that way (yet)!

More to come (you know me!)

ANDURIL,
You really should read the entire HP series. Do not be put off by the designation of the books as a children's series. It is GREAT literature marketed as for children. Which is, IMHO, like saying NARNIA and MIDDLE EARTH are for children. Might be true on one level, but emphatically not true on most levels.
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
Old 03-29-2005, 01:28 PM   #12
strider8
Elven Warrior

Location: In a spaceship, floating in your puny planet's atmosphere, awaiting orders to invade
I think that Lupin will die and Harry will feel like there's nothing left to live for.
strider8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 04:02 PM   #13
inked
Elf Lord

Here's another idea for the HBP. What do you think of this idea?
Old 04-12-2005, 04:54 AM   #14
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

Quote:
Here's another idea for the HBP. What do you think of this idea?
huh?
Old 04-12-2005, 08:21 AM   #15
Pytt
The Supreme Lord of The Northern Eagles

Can't say I see your that idea of yours inked...
Old 04-12-2005, 08:38 AM   #16
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by strider8
I think that Lupin will die and Harry will feel like there's nothing left to live for.
That's just too depressing...

What was your idea Inked?
Quote:
Old 04-12-2005, 09:10 AM   #17
inked
Elf Lord

Apparently one does have neuronal dislocations at the approach of the 50th anniversary of one's being pushed out into the cold, cruel world!

the link to have been posted was:

http://www.hogwartsprofessor.com/hom...f_blood_prince

Take heart, ya'll, it's probably just half-heimer's instead of al-tzheimers's !
Old 04-15-2005, 12:56 PM   #18
Thraxon
Hobbit

how about they kill off the entire ****ing cast there books suck and jk rowling coppies so much off lotr eg the dimentors are clearly a take off of the nazguel
Thraxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 01:35 PM   #19
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thraxon
how about they kill off the entire ****ing cast there books suck and jk rowling coppies so much off lotr eg the dimentors are clearly a take off of the nazguel
Not really, I don't think... and it really doesn't matter. (how hard can it be to think of dark creatures in black hoods that make people fear? )

There's a whole thread about it, anyway. (just search)
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 10:50 AM   #20
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thraxon
Yeah, Tolekeen would feel ripped off if he was still alive!

I'm just joking with ya. But anyway, it's fair enough to not like the books. But they aren't really all that close to LotR. Let's review:

Common points:
1. Protaganist is fated to destroy Dark Lord
2. There are undead beings in service of said Dark Lord
3. There is magic
4. Protaganist has best friends
5. Protaganist's parents died tragically when he was fairly young
6. Authoritative wizard figure

Differences between common points:
1. The nature of fate, and the nature of our two protagonists. I don't think I need to say much about the differences between a 50-year-old Hobbit of Middle-earth and an 11-year-old wizard boy.
2. The Nazgul were once Men and subverted with Rings of Power, while the Dementors, as far as we can tell, are naturally evil beings and allied to Voldemort because he would let them steal people's souls. The Nazgul, of course, do not steal people's souls.
3. The nature of magic
4. Sam, Merry, and Pippin are very different people than Ron and Hermione.
5. Drogo and Primula Baggins drowned by accident while Voldemort murdered Harry's parents. Despite this, Frodo had a very happy childhood with his kind uncle. Harry had a miserable childhood with his mean aunt and her family.
6. Gandalf and Dumbledore have authority for different reasons. Gandalf led the Fellowship because he was a wise and powerful Maia. It's worth noting he's one of five wizards in all of Middle-earth. Dumbledore has authority because he's a very powerful wizard, and the only one who can defeat Voldemort; he's also the school headmaster. Aragorn and Gandalf were both Sauron's enemy in different ways.

Complete differences between the books:

The plot
The Harry Potter series follows our hero through his years at a wizard boarding school while he narrowly avoids getting killed by the Dark Lord by sheer luck, handy plot devices, the help of loyal friends, or getting bailed out by Dumbledore.
Lord of the Rings follows Frodo Baggins's adventures after he inherits a Ring that turns you invisible that turns out to be the evil Ring of power belonging to Sauron. The only way to destroy him is to destroy the Ring.

The setting
Harry Potter is set in Britain in the 1990s in a school for young witches and wizards.

LotR is set in Middle-earth, an alternate history for Earth. Specific date not specified, but highly debated.

I'm glad you're posting in this forum because you're the first person in here to not like Harry Potter. I'm sure you'll add an interesting perspective.

There certainly are similarities between the two books, but I don't think enough to call Harry Potter a rip-off. I'm interested to hear your reasons why you think so.

EDIT: I see Small No-name is also not a fan. Any particular reason that Thraxon hasn't articulated?
Quote:

Last edited by Nurvingiel : 04-22-2005 at 10:53 AM.