Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Harry Potter
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-27-2007, 02:52 PM   #61
Elfmaster XK
Possessive Villain Fancier

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun-star
I like the sound of Book 7's title. Very Gothic.

Really? I don't like the word deathly at all. And as hallowed is a sacred place, or a place set apart...I dunno. It doesn't seem to quite make sense to me, or sound right. Still, I am hoping for it to come out soon so that the story can do better than the title!

My soul is painted like the wings of butterflies,
Fairytales of yesterday will grow but never die,
I can fly - my friends.

XK
Elfmaster XK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 06:53 AM   #62
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

I think I'm still laughing over this title.

I thought I wouldn't after some time had passed, but eh, it doesn't look like anything's changed.

It's still funny.
Rána Eressëa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 02:01 PM   #63
Serenoli
Head of the Department for the Invention and Propagation of Sugar, Spice and Everything Nice!

me, too, im afraid. Of all the titles, I am certain I like this the least. Maybe, maybe, if I read the book I'll find out the real meaning and like it, but right now, it seems much too dramatic...

Join the Harry Potter discussion, click here
Serenoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 11:12 PM   #64
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

I don't think it's too dramatic for this book. I mean, if any author can pull it off, it's Rowling.

What I want to know, is what are the Deadly Hallows? There is no noun "hallow" so it's a place name she has created, which gives it a great deal of potential awesomeness.

Also, I still don't think Dumbledore is dead. I won't believe this unless he hasn't shown up half-way through the book.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 11:44 AM   #65
jammi567
I'm Eru, and lord of Arda.

Breaking news: the next book is out on the 21st July!
Vote for me, Jammi567, in the 2008 Entmoot elections, and you will get many of the things we need: free, unbiased, newspapers; a strong alliance with many countries, so that war doesn't start over someone breaking their nose on a doorframe; etc, etc

This forum is lonely. It's new and confused, and doesn't have many friends yet. Help today by joining for free, posting, and posting this message and link in your sig. So please, join and help make it feel welcomed and loved.
jammi567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 01:10 PM   #66
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Dorothy L. Sayers,

who identified herself as an "Inkling", although there's debate about that, killed off Lord Peter Wimsey because he'd become SO famous that she felt her more serious work (like translations of Dante) never got any attention.

I wonder if that kind of concern is in J.K. Rowling's mind...that she's "that Harry Potter woman", and she wants to be recognised for other things.

Bad look-out for Harry, if so.
sisterandcousinandaunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 05:42 PM   #67
Master'sBaneSwiftSnowmane
Elven Warrior

How do you know? If that's true, I'm already bouncing in my seat...it's time for Mr. Potter to stop ruling my life.

(OOC: I heard Daniel Radcliff was going to attend UVA, silly rumour, I know, but still. I live quite close to UVA and I am aware of several people who have allowed this knowledge to influence there choice of colleges.)

Anyways, I want the mirrors to show back up. For some reason that's the part that's bugging the snot out of me. I don't why, but if they aren't in the first few chapters, I'll probably scream.

I rather like the name of this book. It's very dramatic and what else would this book be? I can't wait to find out what the "Hallows" are. You don't think it's a mistake though do you? Hallow=Hollows...Godric's Hollow...Deathly Hollows (Godric's Hollow where the final battle is fought and lots die...)

Just a thought.
"Not only did my encounters with voters confirm the fundamental decency of the American people, they also reminded me that at the core of the American experience are a set of ideals that continue to stir our collective conscience; a common set of values that bind us together despite our differences; a running thread of hope that makes our improbable experiment in democracy work..." Barack Obama, The Audacity of Hope
Master'sBaneSwiftSnowmane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 06:03 PM   #68
jammi567
I'm Eru, and lord of Arda.

i probally know probally because it's been in all the news everywhere.
Vote for me, Jammi567, in the 2008 Entmoot elections, and you will get many of the things we need: free, unbiased, newspapers; a strong alliance with many countries, so that war doesn't start over someone breaking their nose on a doorframe; etc, etc

This forum is lonely. It's new and confused, and doesn't have many friends yet. Help today by joining for free, posting, and posting this message and link in your sig. So please, join and help make it feel welcomed and loved.
jammi567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 07:04 PM   #69
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenoli
[I'm replying to an older post here, about the significance of Godric's Hollow]

Its not just the fact that his parents lived at godirc's Hollow (and were ever so rich) that makes me firmly convinced that Harry is definitely related to Godric Gryffindor. After all, think about it. The village name, the fact that Harry pulled out the sword from the hat, and Dumbledore said 'only a true Gryffindor could have done that'. That has an ambigious meaning, after all, he could mean either Gryffindor in the sense of belonging to the house, or Gryffindor in the sense of being related.

Then there's the fact that Voldemort and Harry are bitter enemies, and Gryffindor and Slytherin, too, were enemies. (The fact that they were initially best friends is paralleled by how similar Harry and Tom Riddle are, outwardly and by circumstances). They are both the last living descendants of G and S. Those two had a conflict over the whole 'pure-blood' question, and the conflict was never resolved. Now Harry and Voldemort are fighting over the same conflict, and according to the prophecy will end the conflict, more or less. And if by any chance Voldy knew that Harry is descended from G, it explains why he went for Harry, not Neville.
I believe that Dumbldore said, "Only a true follower of Gryffindor..." So, he could have been hinting that Harry is related to Godric (which I doubt), but he was definently refering to Harry's House. If I remember the context correctly too, Harry was having problems believing that the Sorting Hat put him in the correct House. Dumbldore was mostly reassuring Harry when he said that. I'm not saying that it couldn't be true, I just don't want it to be. There is evidence here for both...especially in her interviews, but I don't think they are pointing to a relation between Harry and Godric. I

Dumbldore already explained to Harry that Voldemort went for Harry because he identified with Harry. Neither Harry nor Voldemort are pure bloods so, that's why Voldy saw Harry as more of a threat, Neville is a pure blood after all. Also, it could have been something to do with magical talent. We know his followers fought with Neville's parents, we can only assume the same for Harry's parents and so, maybe Voldemort also went for the child that came from the more magically powerful family. I'm sure Lilly and James's jobs will shed more light on that one though (and *gasp* we get to find that out in the 7th book!!!).

"Now Harry and Voldemort are fighting over the same conflict..." Are they really though? I mean sure, Voldy wants a pure blood wizarding world just like Salazar...but Harry? Yeah, he thinks what Voldy is doing is wrong, but is he fighting to defend that belief? We know he would desperatly like to avenge his parents, a lot of his earlier anger (in the first three books when Harry is still a preteen and isn't as emotionally and mentally developed as he is now) is fueled by that. He's fighting to defend himself, if he didn't fight, he would certainly die. But is he really fighting for the non-pure blooded wizarding world? He wants to protect his friends, he does not want Voldy to set up a totalitarian government in the wizarding world, and he does think that Voldy's ideas are wrong but, would he step up and fight the fight that he is now if Voldy wasn't out for his blood?

A different opinion about the book's title:http://www.hp-lexicon.org/essays/essay-grail.html This is an excellent essay, and rather interesting to read...you should definently check it out.

I feel like some of our debates have stagnated, so here's a big list for us to speculate and discuss: http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org/#s...whatsleft/comp
"Not only did my encounters with voters confirm the fundamental decency of the American people, they also reminded me that at the core of the American experience are a set of ideals that continue to stir our collective conscience; a common set of values that bind us together despite our differences; a running thread of hope that makes our improbable experiment in democracy work..." Barack Obama, The Audacity of Hope

Last edited by Master'sBaneSwiftSnowmane : 02-03-2007 at 11:19 AM.
Old 02-01-2007, 07:06 PM   #70
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammi567
i probally know probally because it's been in all the news everywhere.
Snappy much? I was not being rude, I just wanted to know where you found the information.
Old 02-15-2007, 01:23 AM   #71
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisterandcousinandaunt
who identified herself as an "Inkling", although there's debate about that, killed off Lord Peter Wimsey because he'd become SO famous that she felt her more serious work (like translations of Dante) never got any attention.

I wonder if that kind of concern is in J.K. Rowling's mind...that she's "that Harry Potter woman", and she wants to be recognised for other things.

Bad look-out for Harry, if so.
Hahaha! Of course, she always said that she was only going to write seven books. She doesn't need to kill off old Harry to be done with the series.

I was wondering if Rowling would write any other books, and how they would go over.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 03:54 PM   #72
Lady Ravyn
Thief Queen of Entmoot

i am SO psyched!!!

the library i work at is having a book 7 release party at midnight on the 21st of july when it comes out!!!
we're gonna have games and really awesome prizes (the HP video games, dvds AND books!!!) i cannot wait!!!

Proud Member of the Evil Mooters and upstanding citizen of the Planet Bob!

And all you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be...

My Space!

Cynicism is what happens when a person opens their eyes; stops blinking in the sun, and starts wondering "why". Question everything, believe only that which you yourself deem true. Go ahead- Call me cynical.
Lady Ravyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 08:05 PM   #73
b.banner
Elf Lord

Location: Trying to keep a hold on my temper so I don't turn into a big green guy.
i am rereading Book 6 to prepare myself for The Deathly Hallows
"We are going to tickle some Aes Sedai under the chin, rescue a mule, and put a snip-nosed girl on the Lion Throne. Oh, yes. That's Aviendha. Don't look at her cross-wise or she'll try to cut your throat and probably slit her own by mistake."-Mat Cauthon from Wheel of Time

"Don't make me angry, you wouldn't like me when I'm angry...."-Dr. Bruce Banner
HULK
BATMAN
THE FLASH
b.banner is offline   Reply With Quote