Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-15-2006, 12:32 PM   #1
Valtir
Sapling

Gandalf The Rings of Power

The Rings play such a pivotal role in the second and third ages, yet, I'm confused about them. Such as:

Why were they created? What was the motivation? Was it simply because they could be created? What was driving Celebrimbor to create them? Annatar? Feanor's legacy?

You'd think, given the tragedy of the Silmarils, objects of such power would be treated with enormous caution.

Then, after Sauron and the One Ring is reavealed, all of the Rings except the three Elven rings are known to be objects of corruption and evil. The Three Rings, however, are always treated as a good, but more to the point, they are treated as necessities. For example, with the destruction of the One Ring, the Three became powerless, and this caused Galadriel and Elrond to leave Middle Earth at last, since their power was gone.

Why and how did the Elves become so dependent on the Rings that their loss causes them to leave Middle Earth? Galadriel certainly got along well enough for thousands of years without one -- so why is she so bereft of power with its loss?

From the last page of The Silmarillion:

Quote:
But when all these things were done, and the Heir of Isildur had taken up the lordship of Men, and the dominion of the West had passed to him, then it was made plain that the power of the Three Rings also was ended, and to the Firstborn the world grew old and grey.
This seems to say they were dependent on the Rings. This, I do not understand.

Any wisdom would be appreciated.
Old 10-15-2006, 02:18 PM   #2
jammi567
I'm Eru, and lord of Arda.

Nice thread, but next time, use the search function, as we already happen to have one here.
Vote for me, Jammi567, in the 2008 Entmoot elections, and you will get many of the things we need: free, unbiased, newspapers; a strong alliance with many countries, so that war doesn't start over someone breaking their nose on a doorframe; etc, etc

This forum is lonely. It's new and confused, and doesn't have many friends yet. Help today by joining for free, posting, and posting this message and link in your sig. So please, join and help make it feel welcomed and loved.
jammi567 is offline   Reply With Quote