Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-02-2004, 09:30 AM   #1
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by Lizra
Hmmmm......(takes a quick swig of coffee, and a deep breath...forces smile...) Gee Rad, So "Skipper Bologna" is just something stupid you say, for fun?

Please, tell me more about the European basketball league your team has won the championship of. "Spell it out" (figure of speech meaning talk plainly ) for me please. Is the European finals a professional league championship? What countries are involved?

"4 Israelies played during the game of ten players...on Israelie money"....what do you mean by that?

Thanks. It's the biggest difference in the history of Europe Finals, and the biggest score.
Lizra...

He's talking about the Euroleague basketball tournament championship round. Kind of Europe's version of the final four. Maccabi Tel Aviv is an Israeli team in the tournament. Skipper Bologna is the name of an Italian team. Apparently Maccabi Tel Aviv crushed Skipper Bologna in the final game. But from what I understand the semifinal game in which Skipper Bologna defeated Montepaschi 103-102 in over time had one of the most amazing finishes in the history of European basketball. I saw a little something on ESPN comparing it to the 1992 Duke-Kentucky semifinal which is broadly considered the greatest game ever played.

hes also saying that only 4 players on the Tel Aviv team are actually Israeli. The rest are from other countries. But that the team obviously is Israeli owned (thus Israeli money). Most often America. American athletes often play in the European league if they arent able to cut it in the NBA. Check out www.euroleague.net.

The championships were hosted by Israel this year and because of the political situation in the middle east right now Tel Aviv's championship really really touched a chord in Israeli society. All the other teams wanted the venue moved from Israel for fear of a possible terrorist action but Israel insisted they would pull the event off safely. And it sounds like they did.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."

Last edited by Insidious Rex : 05-02-2004 at 09:33 AM.
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 11:30 AM   #2
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Oh! Thank you! I understand now. How exciting!
Old 05-02-2004, 04:19 PM   #3
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Yeah, IR is right about everything. Surprising...

Lizra, when I said Bologna is a city, obvioualy the team called 'Skipper Bologna' is a team from that same city, called Skipper from some reason. I think it was called 'Kinder' before, but I might be confused with anotehr team from Bologna.

Anyway... this league is suppose to be the league with the best teams all over Europe. There are other 2 cups - and another Israelian team won one of them.

Yeah, the Spanish and Italian teams tried to move the Final Four from Tel Aviv to Moscow. The management decided to keep it in Tel Aviv, luckily.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 11:00 PM   #4
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

All I have to say is oh my god...

did you see the finish to that game?? Im stunned. 0.4 seconds?? Are you kidding me??!

Old 05-13-2004, 11:18 PM   #5
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

I'm afraid I've seen that type of thing happen a few too many times though! That's rough! These second rounds are getting interesting! Earn that money boys!
Old 05-14-2004, 12:45 AM   #6
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

I couldn't believe it either. I was in awe that Duncan even got the shot off, let alone made it. And then when Derrick Fisher beat the buzzer... man.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 11:18 PM   #7
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

and 24 hours later... triple over time! Who says NBA basketball is boring.

Old 05-22-2004, 10:54 PM   #8
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Whoot!! Pacers knock the first one down! Miller time!
Old 05-28-2004, 10:25 AM   #9
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

*sigh* Lakers up 3-1 on Minnesota. Looks like they'll be in Finals. With Detroit up 2-1, wonder if we'll have a rematch of the 'Bad Boys' vs 'Showtime'... what was it '89? Was it also 1990 - or did someone else make it from the West? Maybe Portland? Anyway I (and Lizra - I'm sure!) would prefer it be Indianapolis this year. Any Detroiters around here? In either case, I sure hope the East team can beat the Lakers... but the odds would have to be pretty long (though not as bad as the last 2-3 years maybe).

Still a big move up for the Timberwolves. Never before had they gotten past the first round... this year they get through round 1 AND round 2 - and make it to the West Finals! Garnett needs good solid help for them to ever become champions though - and all the money he has demanded will probably keep that from ever happening.

Interesting that the Lakers are playing the team from their original hometown... as they used to be the 'Minneapolis Lakers' (that's why they have the name... it's not from 'Lake Pacific' or anything! ). It would be MORE interesting if their season ENDED there... but that's not likely when there's a 3-1 edge.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 11:35 AM   #10
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

The pressure is on the Pacers now! I think the Pacers have just as much chance of winning as Detroit...they just have to do something better/different than the last two games. Figure it out coaches! Turn it up boys! (Lizra enjoys seeing the outrageously paid atheletes work hard for the money! )

I agree about the west though, too bad the Lakers are playing so well now, I find them to be boring and slightly irritating to watch. It could be that some of the matches leading up to the final round of the playoffs were the more interesting ones.
Old 05-28-2004, 01:44 PM   #11
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Well the Pacers are hardly done. Dont worry. Detroit is just playing some really inspired ball but they gotta win four and thats a task against Indiana. As far as the Lakers go, they are winning because they have all their big guns firing on all cylinders. Seems like all season long at least one (or two or three) of the BIG FOUR had some issue either injury related or squabble related or off court related that cause them to be an inconsistent team. I think we all forgot just how good a team they are with those four hall of famers performing at the highest level. Remember all the cant be beat talk we had in this thread when the trades were first made? And not only are those four doing well but the help is doing exceptional too. Case in point: Derrick Fisher. I think ever since that game theyve had a mental focus that you only see in a champion. so yeah all you laker haters out there take a deep breath cause you may have to endure another off season of fair wheather laker gloaters. arent they the worst?

Old 06-02-2004, 12:12 AM   #12
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Dang! Pacers lost! I really didn't want to sit through a Lakers series, but I did want them to beat Detroit!
Well...time for a much needed vacation, the Pacers had a great year. Now...if I could only think of something new for a signature!
Old 06-02-2004, 12:14 AM   #13
Valandil

Quote:
Now...if I could only think of something new for a signature!
*commiserates*

How about... ABL... Anyone But Lakers...??

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Old 06-02-2004, 01:21 PM   #14
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Dang! Pacers lost!
Looks like old Ron couldnt keep it together when it really counted. Well they are still very young. Theyll be back in the hunt even if its in the post-Reggie era.

Old 06-02-2004, 03:19 PM   #15
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

As long as the Lakers lose, I do not care who wins.

I actually have not followed bball much since the early 90's.

The way the game has been played during the last 10-15 years has been boring and disappointing in general for me.

I find the College tournament in March to be more fun to watch and/or listen on the radio than the NBA today.

The NBA of the 80's was much more enjoyable for me than the way it is played today. (I even liked the Lakers then. )

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)

Last edited by mithrand1r : 06-02-2004 at 03:20 PM.
mithrand1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 03:31 PM   #16
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by mithrand1r
As long as the Lakers lose, I do not care who wins.

I actually have not followed bball much since the early 90's.

The way the game has been played during the last 10-15 years has been boring and disappointing in general for me.

I find the College tournament in March to be more fun to watch and/or listen on the radio than the NBA today.

The NBA of the 80's was much more enjoyable for me than the way it is played today. (I even liked the Lakers then. )
well its definitely more or a defensive game today. So yeah theres not as much offensive flourish as there was in the hey days of Julius Irving and Magic Johnson but some of the defensive plays are pretty darn impressive. and I mean that Laker-San Antonio game that was something for the history books you gotta admit that. point four baby.

Old 06-08-2004, 02:18 AM   #17
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Haha Detroit wins Game 1. Take that Lakers.

Old 06-08-2004, 01:21 PM   #18
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by Khamûl
Haha Detroit wins Game 1. Take that Lakers.
Careful. Dont get your hopes up quite yet. THREE times previously A Phil Jackson coached team has lost the first game of the finals. And THREE times he has coached the team to victory: 4-1, 4-2, 4-1. So Detroit still has some history making to do unfortunately. Although playing three straight at home should make things interesting.... maybe....

Old 06-08-2004, 01:28 PM   #19
Valandil

Yeah - we'll see. The 'Conspiracy Theorist' in me is coming out. I almost predicted this outcome of Game 1 - with ratings so low, that the NBA and the network (which one is it anyway... I'm not watching! ) would want to attract interest by tantalizing us with the possibility that someone might actually beat THE LAKERS...!!!

I WAS told though that the officiating seemed fair. Still... makes one wonder...

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 06-09-2004, 01:36 AM   #20
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

And then the Pistons barely lose Game 2. To Detroit!