Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-26-2002, 02:34 PM   #1
Nilore
Elven Warrior

Location: I am every where and I am no where, I am everyone and I am no-one! HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!
Nazgul Nazgul horses

I'm puzzled about the "horses" that the ringwraiths ride on. In the film they seem to have teeth and i've never heard a horse make noises like there's!
Also, what are the winged Nazgul, I don't understand that properly either!

Please don't say I'm dumb because I don't know these things!!!
Afterall i'm asking for help!

Nilore
Nilore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2002, 02:40 PM   #2
Fred Baggins
Belladona Gamgee of the night sky

Location: second star to the right and straight on till morning.
Tolkin never gave a very descriptive description of the Winged creatures the Nazgul ride when there horses are destroyed, that I know of anyway. They just rode dark winged creatures.

I don't understand your question about the horses though.
Pacha:Most likely.
Cusco:Bring it on.
~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`
Yes, I'm female. Fred Baggins is my NICKNAME!
"The reason of the unreasonable treatment of my reason so enfeebles my reason, that with reason I complain of your beauty."~Don Quixote
"Once upon a time there was a magical land where it never rained. The End."~from the movie 'Holes'
()_))_Crayola_))_>
Fred Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2002, 02:45 PM   #3
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Even though you mentioned the movie, I'm going to move this to the books forum since you are curious about the winged Nazgûl.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2002, 04:27 PM   #4
Urksnik the Sleek
Hobbit

As I understand it, the horses were just normal horses, bred in Mordor by the servants of Sauron, this is why they were able to be destroyed by the flood Elrond loosed at the ford of Rivendell.
As to the winged steed, there is a brief descriptive passage in RoTK which makes them seem almost prehistoric in appearance, sort of a cross between a dragon, a bird and a dinosaur, but even then, Tolkien states that nobody knew exactly what they were or where they came from.
Apart from Sauron himself presumably.
And Gondolin, who now beyond
The Western Seas have passed away
The world was fair in Durin's Day.
Urksnik the Sleek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2002, 04:55 PM   #5
webwizard333
Elf Lord

Quote:
I'm puzzled about the "horses" that the ringwraiths ride on. In the film they seem to have teeth and i've never heard a horse make noises like there's! Also, what are the winged Nazgul, I don't understand that properly either!
The average horse does have teeth, and in the book the horses are normal except for being specially trained so that the Nazgul could ride them, as normal, untrained animals would run away in fear. I'm unable to explain sounds horses make. The winged Nazgul is just the name given to the Nazgul when they rode their flying steeds, which I visualize as pterdactyl-like. It's my personal theory that Tolkien meant they were wyvern.
Old 10-27-2002, 11:09 AM   #6
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

The horses the Nazgul rode were stolen from the Rohirrim by Orc raiding-parties. They sought especially for the all-black horses, and of course the Rohirrim steeds were descended from a very old line of horses indeed.

As for the "winged steeds", just visualize a long-necked pteranodon or pterodactyl. Tolkien seems to intimate an almost prehistoric origin.
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 09:06 PM   #7
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Hi Nilore! I'm a "horse-person", and I can tell you that horses do indeed have teeth - in fact, I've been bitten by one! Also, horses can make some strange sounds - all of the horse sounds on the movie I have heard from real horses, especially stallions (they make that 'screaming' noise). However, I think you're also thinking of the screaming-type noise that I would say the Ringwraiths are making - the sound that's a little more bird-like. That isn't a horse noise. Does anyone remember where the reference is in the book about how the wraiths sound? It's some bird-like screaming, I think, but I can't find the reference right now.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2002, 06:43 PM   #8
Claenoic
Queen of Prolonged, Unexplained Absences

I believe it was somewhere between Buckland and Hobbiton, when Frodo, Sam, and Pippin were resting. They heard a long, high pitched scream, mixed with what seemed like words. It was a way for the Nazgul to communicate.

FREAK RAIN!!!!!!!! O.o

Queen of prolonged unexplained absences and long, loooong car rides.

Well, hullo everyone. As you can see, I don't hang out here muchly anymore. There's a good reason for this. Y'see, I've been hanging out at a different chatboard called Cardboardia. So far, I've been havin' a blast. Not that I don't love the TLA, but the magic of Entmoot is lost on me. So, as soon as TLA ends, so will my existance here, probably.

Who knows though? I might stay. Highly unlikely however. This is a good bye in advance, then. Unless you want to join me and my group of friends at Cardboardia.

Cheers!
Claenoic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2002, 08:17 PM   #9
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Thanks, Claenoic, that helped narrow it down - and here it is:
Quote:
Ho! Ho! Ho! they began again louder. They stopped short suddenly. Frodo sprang to his feet. A long-drawn wail came down the wind, like the cry of some evil and lonely creature. It rose and fell, and ended on a high piercing note. Even as they sat and stood, as if suddenly frozen, it was answered by another cry, fainter and further off, but no less chilling to the blood.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 11-02-2002, 01:04 PM   #10
Erawyn
Elven Warrior

Oh thats one of my favourite parts of the book! So creepy!
Anywho, i agree, i think most of the horse noises in the movie sounded pretty real.

"Be not so bigoted to any custom as to worship it at the expense of Truth."
Johann Georg von Zimmermann
Erawyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2002, 05:20 PM   #11
Rían

Stallions can make some really wild noises, can't they, Erawyn! (so temperamental! )

Yes, that's a really creepy part - they're singing along, then that creepy wail .... *hides under covers*

Old 11-02-2002, 05:35 PM   #12
Firekitten2006
Elven Warrior

Location: the US of A! But I wish i was in austraila, never been, just think it would be a fun place to live :)
Sam Gamgee horsey person too! lol

I'm into horses too and every sound the horses made in the movie were real sounds horses made. And yeah they do have teeth. lol I know what youre talking about in the movie. That scene when frodo jumps onto the ferry after merry and pippen had just joined them, the horse and naz gul both start making sounds. I had to watch that part a couple of times because it does seem like its the horse making all of those sounds at once!
Old 11-04-2002, 11:31 AM   #13
Agburanar
Elf Lord

I was annoyed to see in the film that if you look closely the horses are actually brown and have cuts all over them for some reason. Peter Jackson really has to move on from unconvincing zombies sometime.

Having said this, John Howe who did the design for the film does draw some really good flying steeds. I hope they'll get featured as they are in the paintings. (He does, however, do quite a few drawings without including details mentioned in the book...)

ROLLING STOCK, WE'RE ROLLING STOCK!!
Agburanar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2002, 08:25 PM   #14
Firekitten2006
Elven Warrior

Location: the US of A! But I wish i was in austraila, never been, just think it would be a fun place to live :)
yuppers

Yeah, i noticed too that when they do a close up on the hooves or the face the horses are brown. I think the cuts were probably makeup for effect tho. Like the red eyes
Old 11-05-2002, 05:14 AM   #15
Agburanar
Elf Lord

I like the horses having little versions of the eye of Sauron. Don't like the cuts though.

ROLLING STOCK, WE'RE ROLLING STOCK!!
Agburanar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 11:13 AM   #16
entss89
lord of the ents

to answer one of your ? of the winged nazgul, well lets just take a normal black rider and give it wings, thats pretty much how i see a winged nazgul. and also i believe they are much stronger then the normal ones.

entss89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 11:43 AM   #17
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

QUOTE: "to answer one of your ? of the winged nazgul, well lets just take a normal black rider and give it wings, thats pretty much how i see a winged nazgul. and also i believe they are much stronger then the normal ones."

D'huh??

"normal ones"? "Black rider and give it wings"? The winged Nazgul are somehow pegasi spray-painted black?

I must be misreading this.

The MOUNTS which the Nine Nazgul used which "converted them into winged nazgul" were reptilian long-necked dinosaur looking things. The Nazgul RODE these creatures, they did not spout balrog wings and fly off. As for their strength as compared to the "normal ones", since they were BOTH the same thing, non-sequitur.

Maybe we need a new thread: "Do Nazgul gots wings?"
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote