Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-01-2010, 01:53 PM   #1
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

The Happy Thread V

Let's continue the highly successful franchise of sharing happiness, in this fifth Happy Thread
Continued from here.

Original thread starter was Sween, who back in 2002 reasoned that Entmoot deserved an antipole to the Venting thread. Thank you Sween
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 06:45 PM   #2
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Sween was a lot of fun

OK - happy that my oldest son is at work, the two younger ones are playing with friends, my husband's enjoying a trip to Peru, and I get some Moot time!

Also happy that I got my streaming player in yesterday and set up last night so I can relax and stream Netflix movies without having to steal the kids' Wii or Xbox! With all this downtime from surgeries and complications, I've been getting into old movies. Ida Lupino is just so other-wordly! And I like having the kids watch some - it's good to teach them about the good old movies that aren't just popcorn flicks.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 10-01-2010 at 06:52 PM.
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 08:19 AM   #3
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

I'm happy, because we had some friends over yesterday to celebrate my birthday.. Most of these friends I hadn't seen for months because of the Morocco trip and conferences and stuff, and one of them I hadn't seen in 2 years! It was a nice little party, and it was good to see them all again. Now I'm back to a semi-normal schedule, so I can start hanging out with all of them again..

I'm also happy, because my e-book reader arrived! It's such a cool device.. And I already have hundreds of books on there. Yay!

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Nerdanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 08:49 AM   #4
katya
Elven Maiden

I'm starting to think I might like an e-book reader too. I think in some ways I like regular books but in other ways not.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:38 AM   #5
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

yeah, there's something about holding an actual book in your hand, that you can't get from an e-book reader.. but there's also something about carrying several kilograms of books in your backpack that you won't get with an e-book reader. :P and the one i got comes with an inbuilt mp3-player, and wifi.

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Nerdanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 04:27 PM   #6
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Watched two Hitchcock movies yesterday - "The 39 Steps" and "I Confess". The latter was ok. The former was really funny! The scene where the main character is avoiding police and ends up on a stage as the main speaker and has to improvise is just hilarious!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 10-04-2010, 02:06 AM   #7
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Just saw Sara Bareilles live in concert. It was worth standing for 4+ hours and waiting through two crappy warmup bands (who are apparently touring with her...).

Honestly the warmup bands were just... awkward. The first one, just a singer/songwriter guy who played guitar and sang was okay, but the lyrics to his songs were a bit weird and abstract for my tastes and I didn't think his voice was very good at all. Then the second band just lacked any sense of energy, and the songs had very forgettable/flat melodies... the singer mumbled into the mic when he talked between songs and even the people upfront were yelling, "I can't hear you!" which, in a twist of irony, he didn't seem to hear.

Then Sara got on stage and it blew my mind. Aside from just the raised energy level of the crowd, she really knew how to work the stage. She was hilarious between songs, she was really involved in what she was singing, and she kept giving the audience meaningful looks and winking at us... which seems trite to say, but she never overdid it and it just seemed fun. She's incredibly charismatic on stage.

That girl has got some technique, too. O_o She sings quite low in some of her songs and has a really powerful middle voice, meaning she's probably a mezzo.... and then in one of her final pieces she sang a Soprano High A or B in full head voice... which is quite a feat even for some sopranos . It was really startling to me, and the entire audience went completely nuts when she did it. She's got such an enormous range, and to be able to belt up into her mix voice and then also sing in head voice is something most pop singers can't manage.

Needless to say I HAD A COMPLETELY AWESOME TIME!!!!!!!!!!!
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 02:09 PM   #8
Mari
Elf Lady

That's great! Glad to hear you had fun.

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Mari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 12:35 PM   #9
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY!!! Today is a good day!

No more rehearsals for La Boheme, just the three performances to survive! I'm still psyched that I got to see Sara Bareilles live! Even better that she helped my technique! My voice has totally improved!

HUZZAH!!!!
Old 10-06-2010, 08:44 AM   #10
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

First of three performances today! IT'S ALMOST OVER!!!
Old 10-12-2010, 09:26 PM   #11
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

I totally slacked off studying the last week and a half, and it was getting a little patchy before that, because of the opera. Now I'm studying again, and I thought I would be disappointed to have to be spending all of my free time studying.... but it feels great to be catching up. So I'm happy that this isn't going to be an agonizing process.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:24 PM   #12
Rían

Happy that the mining rescue in Chile is going so well - engineers rock!!!

Old 10-14-2010, 05:17 PM   #13
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

HOORAY. Our group presentation went off without a hitch (particularly my part! Woohoo!), I'm done with my economics midterm, I passed my math quiz and finished the homework for this week with time to spare, and now I have copious amounts of time to study before my first shot at my information systems final tonight!!!

Lets do this thing!!!!
Old 10-14-2010, 08:16 PM   #14
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an View Post
Happy that the mining rescue in Chile is going so well - engineers rock!!!
Yea, that whole story is so wonderful- watching the pictures of the reunions just tears me up.

So few totally happy endings on the news... it's great to see something like this.

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 11:04 AM   #15
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

OH HECK TO THE YES!!!!! >.<

I just finished my Excel test, with 25 seconds to spare (it's timed at an hour), and got an 86%. I will totally take that. With my perfect practice test scores, that makes it an A for that modual. WOOHOO!!! No retakes for me.
Old 10-15-2010, 11:10 AM   #16
Mari
Elf Lady

Do the happy dance! Well done.

Old 10-15-2010, 05:51 PM   #17
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

Excel is useful for so many things. Apparently even for calculation, which I hardly use it for at all.

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen
Varnafindë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 01:39 PM   #18
Mari
Elf Lady

Just booked a weekend away! I'm so happy! I so so needed this

Old 10-16-2010, 09:38 PM   #19
katya
Elven Maiden

I got a Mew! Actually two of them (I traded for the other). Also I got a bunch of neat books from the library and I'm having fun reading them. A book of Victorian era vampire stories, a book on Swedish, and a couple books on WWI.
Old 10-17-2010, 01:59 AM   #20
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by katya View Post
I got a Mew! Actually two of them (I traded for the other). Also I got a bunch of neat books from the library and I'm having fun reading them. A book of Victorian era vampire stories, a book on Swedish, and a couple books on WWI.
What are the WWI books?

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote