Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-04-1999, 05:29 AM   #1
Lost in Coruscant

Somebody encourage me....

My grandmother came to visit us back in June...of '98, and she mentioned the "Lord of the Rings" books. And a few others, but I won't get into them... I decided to read them. I dug around in some boxes, and found all four of them. (These are the paperback 'authorized' version. Apparently, when Tolkien originally put them out somebody took 'advantage' of him and...well, that's another story... Anyway, I got through "The Hobbit". Then, my mom went to the library and got me the first part of the "Lord of the Rings" duology that was on tape there. Unfortunatley, I found out that the second part is not there. And it was sooo good! The animation was excellent! Well, I then saw "The Hobbit" that new version recently put out by so-and-so...it stinks. The animation in that makes you want to take a knife and stab Bilbo through the nose. Fortunatly, I'd already read "The Hobbit" but so nothing was ruined for me. Although I never did get through it...it was soo bad... The point is, I'm only halfway through the first book in the trilogy. I saw the first half of that duology, and knowing that Gandalf won't die, though it looks like he will a few dozen times, doesn't help add to the suspense. Is there anything for me to look forward to?
Old 11-04-1999, 06:41 AM   #2
peregrin

Re: Somebody encourage me....

Is there anything to look forward to?!? Ohmygod, where should I begin? First off, let me say, put away the movies. I don't think you should have watched them first. You wouldn't read the EU before seeing SW, would you? Second, ROTK, IMHO, is the best of the three. If you don't make it there you won't know the fate of the Company of the Ring. I'm sorry, "Lost in Coruscant", I can't even begin to explain this. Can anyone help this person out? I have to go to bed. Maybe tomorrow.
Old 11-04-1999, 07:06 AM   #3
Elrond

Uh right... Someone who knows nothing about the books... Know what ROTK means?
Old 11-04-1999, 12:17 PM   #4
peregrin

Thanks Elrond, you were a big help. :P ROTK=Return of the King.
Old 11-04-1999, 10:55 PM   #5
ArwenUndomiel02

i saw those movies too, ohmigod how dumb....we laughed...constantly...anyway you have got to finish them. your grandma(or whoever) gave you sound advice....i'm going to get my own copy for my birthday this month....i was borrowing from galadriel....i'm going to read them over and over.... arwen
Old 11-05-1999, 01:50 AM   #6
Darth Tater

Wow, where to begin, what to say, how to say it? Man, you just have to read them! The surprises! The battles! The stories! Wow!
Old 11-05-1999, 05:58 AM   #7
Lost in Coruscant

The poems, the lack of romance (who cares anyway?), etc., etc., etc. *sigh* I just looked at where I am in it.... I haven't even gotten through the first "book" yet.
Old 11-05-1999, 12:41 PM   #8
anduin

Have you gotten to the chapter, 'At The Sign Of The Prancing Pony', yet? Once you get there things will start to pick up. Thd introduction of 'Strider', the faux pas of Frodo, the merry making of the Hobbits, all great stuff. And the chapter after that, even better!! I'll admit the first time I read LOTR, I skipped over the poems. When you read it a second time (yes, I promise you will want to) you may find out you WANT to read the poems, I know I did. You should also read the thread, "What's you favorite book in the trilogy?" (I don't think there are any major spoilers.) Play close attention to Hernalt's and Darth Tater's contributions on how to read the trilogy. Happy reading!!
Old 11-05-1999, 05:51 PM   #9
galadriel1

Deinitely forge on!

You have to finish the books! There is so much to enjoy! I love Strider, but you don`t have to wait until Bree for the story to pick up. There are the Black Riders and running into the elves and don`t forget the raucous at Crickhollow! Not to mention Tom Bombadil and the Barrowdowns! And then of course we find Strider at Bree and there`s Weathertop and the Flight to the Fords and the Council of Elrond. And of course Lothlorien! And lots f great battles along the entire journey! The Battles for Helm`s Deep and the Pelennor Fields are incredible! And there are some cool surprises on the road! I read the trilogy every winter. It only takes me a couple of weeks because I get so into the story! I can`t put it down! Every time you read it, you discover even more in it. Such great anticipation at the beginning - and sadness at the end because the story is over. I always feel like I want to start reading it again right away. It is definitely the best piece of literature that I have read! For me, nothing will ever top it! Forge on, my friend! There is so much to look forward to! Trust us!btw, where are you in the books? Keep us informed of your progress. I promise - you will not be disappointed!
Old 11-05-1999, 06:12 PM   #10
Elrond

Re: Deinitely forge on!

Ya... Definatly the council of Elrond When I read it first, I was kind of reading it, like this is a good book, fine... Until Moria. Somehow I thought that was the first realy good bit... i don't know why, It just was. There r some realy good bits before that, though... And now i con't see why it was that bit in particular, not Weathertop or anything. Does that make even a little sense?
Old 11-05-1999, 09:01 PM   #11
bmilder

Well, everyone's already said what I would say :P. Read them. You'll like them... I tried convincing all my friends to read Hobbit and LotR back in fifth grade... the farthest someone got was to the middle of RotK (now how could someone not finish that???) and the least far along was Jae who got to page 17 of the Hobbit :P.
Old 11-05-1999, 09:32 PM   #12
anduin

Re: Deinitely forge on!

Galadriel 1 is right, you should keep us posted as to where you are, then we could discuss it with you. I think that is why all of us wants our friends to read it, so we can have someone to talk about it with. And hell, isn't that why we are all here right now?
Old 11-05-1999, 09:45 PM   #13
Darth Tater

Re: Definitely forge on!

How could you possibly stop in the middle of ROTK? That would drive me insane!
Old 11-05-1999, 10:09 PM   #14
Lost in Coruscant

I'm not in the middle...I'm one-third through.
Old 11-05-1999, 10:25 PM   #15
Darth Tater

I was refering to bmilder's friend.
Old 11-05-1999, 10:37 PM   #16
anduin

Lost, what chapter?
Old 11-05-1999, 10:43 PM   #17
Lost in Coruscant

I finished chapter 5, and now I'm supposed to be starting chapter 6.
Old 11-06-1999, 05:12 AM   #18
galadriel1

Sense?

What does sense matter as long as you`re enjoying the ride, right? ((giggle))I liked the part at Weathertop. And the flight to the Ford. You come to realise even more the peril of the journey and just how dangerous the journey may become. (That probably doesn`t make sense, either! haha) The Council of Elrond is eye-opening. We get to find out just what has been happening with Gandalf and find out more about Aragorn and Boromir and the lands to the South. I like that chapter a lot. And Moria--ABSOLUTELY CHILLING!Lost - you`re in Chapter 6 of which book?
Old 11-06-1999, 05:23 AM   #19
galadriel1

Hmmm....What a dilemma!

All this talk is making me want to read it again! I usually save it for the winter months. I don`t know if I can wait until January!
Old 11-06-1999, 08:25 AM   #20
Elrond

Re: Hmmm....What a dilemma!

I got all my friends onto LOTR. Only 2 of them stuck with it. Gandalf and Aragorn... wait a sec... U dont know them. Never mind. They were round chamber of the sages, but latley they haven't been on. Aragorn got banned from the net by parents, and I don't know why gandalf isn't on. She (yep, SHE) still has my FotR book. This is just not on!